The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #126
bh86

Re: Decal Replacement/77 Chevy Sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SPORT View Post
Original dealer sheet...COPO 9G4
Thanks a bunch for the reply 80sport. I'll send ya a pm about the truck.
bh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:59 AM   #127
DJ77Sport

I am also restoring a 77 Sport. My uncle bought it new in 77 and sold it to my Grandpa a few years later. the stripes were removed not long after it was new. I would like to put them back on when the resto is complete. the pictures in this thread are very helpful, I need a better pic of the hood. I would really like to have a piece of the original stripe to match colors. I have a sign shop so having them made is no problem.
Attached Images

DJ77Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:45 AM   #128
AdamFromMissouri

Scored the door stripes on ebay for a 1977 Chevy sport. Paid 80 bucks for em and they've never seen daylight. Came out of gm stock from somewhere-don't care where. They're original part number and still in the gm box. The colors are interesting for sure. Had a graphics Shop pull the images from the pictures we do have and now that we have the colors they're gravy to make in piece to wrap the truck exactly like the original pictures show. My 10 year search is finally over. I'll post pics when it's done and the trucks restored. The frame is being blasted and powder coated this week. Looks like I'm headed to texas for some rust free gm sheet metal. We're going to build a nasty 400 for it with an efi setup that wont molest any of the factory components and freshen up the original engine and put it into storage. It'll be sweet when it's done
AdamFromMissouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #129
80SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ77Sport View Post
I am also restoring a 77 Sport. My uncle bought it new in 77 and sold it to my Grandpa a few years later. the stripes were removed not long after it was new. I would like to put them back on when the resto is complete. the pictures in this thread are very helpful, I need a better pic of the hood. I would really like to have a piece of the original stripe to match colors. I have a sign shop so having them made is no problem.
Nice truck...not many have the full history since new
Made in Canada...Oshawa plant
80SPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #130
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamFromMissouri View Post
Scored the door stripes on ebay for a 1977 Chevy sport. Paid 80 bucks for em and they've never seen daylight. Came out of gm stock from somewhere-don't care where. They're original part number and still in the gm box. The colors are interesting for sure. Had a graphics Shop pull the images from the pictures we do have and now that we have the colors they're gravy to make in piece to wrap the truck exactly like the original pictures show. My 10 year search is finally over. I'll post pics when it's done and the trucks restored. The frame is being blasted and powder coated this week. Looks like I'm headed to texas for some rust free gm sheet metal. We're going to build a nasty 400 for it with an efi setup that wont molest any of the factory components and freshen up the original engine and put it into storage. It'll be sweet when it's done
AdamFM, very cool project that you're doing. Have you started a build thread elsewhere? Maybe you could and leave a link in this thread, or just update this thread as your truck progresses. You are the one making the leap from pictures and surviving decals to reproduction It sounds great, and it seems that there are a bunch of guys that would benefit from the reproduction stripes. Nice work.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:04 PM   #131
AdamFromMissouri

I went to Texas and bought a completely original steel, straight, rust free parts truck that has a perfect, and I mean perfect body other than a tailgate. Ive actually got an original tailgate that an old man had wrapped in a blanket stored in his garage since the day he bought his truck new. Everything is going together like it should. I am in the process of overhauling the entire power train at my house. I'll be able to have complete stripe kits made for a price.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #132
DJ77Sport

Quote:
I went to Texas and bought a completely original steel, straight, rust free parts truck that has a perfect, and I mean perfect body other than a tailgate. Ive actually got an original tailgate that an old man had wrapped in a blanket stored in his garage since the day he bought his truck new. Everything is going together like it should. I am in the process of overhauling the entire power train at my house. I'll be able to have complete stripe kits made for a price.
Adam, Thank you for the picture it is exactly what i needed to match colors. Is the stripe you have the upper or lower door stripe? Would you mind giving the dimensions of the stripes or a photo with a ruler on the stripe? I have a preliminary design finished of the stripes and will begin soon to fit them to the truck. I would greatly appreciate any information you can give.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:08 PM   #133
77 ChevySport

Quote:
Adam, Thank you for the picture it is exactly what i needed to match colors. Is the stripe you have the upper or lower door stripe? Would you mind giving the dimensions of the stripes or a photo with a ruler on the stripe? I have a preliminary design finished of the stripes and will begin soon to fit them to the truck. I would greatly appreciate any information you can give.
Adam: Doing nice job on the resto of the 77 Sport. Picture below is my all original stripe. (Bought New) As you can see the stripe you show is different from mine. Yours has 4 tones;mine has 5. Also the width of stripes are different. Having restored Corvettes/Camaro's it is not unusual that the over the counter parts from GM are different from the parts "on the line" when vehicle was made. Anyway yours is the closest I have seen yet. Good job. Larry

Name:  77 Chevy Sport Pick Up 003.JPG
Views: 954
Size:  42.6 KB
77 ChevySport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:12 PM   #134
mrtoni

Those stripes seem identical to me. What am I missing? I am looking at having my original mod bos stripe kit (1972) reproduced. Do the paper on the outside peel away easily?
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:53 AM   #135
77 ChevySport

FWIW: It is also a possibility that GM had two suppliers for these stripes. Different assembly plants would get the stripes on availability. We find differences all the time with Corvettes and Camaro's. A good Camaro judge
(Jerry MacNeish) can tell if the Camaro was made at Norwood or Van Nuys
very easy. In the Corvette world (eg.1966) all where made in St.Louis but
two suppliers for the body. (St.Louis and AO Smith). Judges can tell the differences easy between the two types. Bottom Line>

All are correct; one is no better or original than the other. IMHO

Larry
77 ChevySport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #136
AdamFromMissouri

I'll sell a completed decal wrap for the 77 sport after mine has been made and fitted. That stripe I posted is a gm part and I think the picture 77 sport posted was taken 20 years ago and thats why it looks different. The one I found is a gm original part-still in the box. With the picture I took, you won't even be able to get the colors right due to it being a cell phone camera. Trust me ive spent countless hours in a computer graphics Shop trying to duplicate the stripes from pictures, you can't do it. I've spent way too much time and money doing this to just give up the dimensions to it. The truck is scheduled to be done around July. And ill let everyone know when it's complete. It's going to cost over 1500 dollars just to get the stripes made without the chevy sport decal that goes on the bed. The chevy sport decal I have is original so matching it will not be hard.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #137
DJ77Sport

Quote:
I'll sell a completed decal wrap for the 77 sport after mine has been made and fitted. That stripe I posted is a gm part and I think the picture 77 sport posted was taken 20 years ago and thats why it looks different. The one I found is a gm original part-still in the box. With the picture I took, you won't even be able to get the colors right due to it being a cell phone camera. Trust me ive spent countless hours in a computer graphics Shop trying to duplicate the stripes from pictures, you can't do it. I've spent way too much time and money doing this to just give up the dimensions to it. The truck is scheduled to be done around July. And ill let everyone know when it's complete. It's going to cost over 1500 dollars just to get the stripes made without the chevy sport decal that goes on the bed. The chevy sport decal I have is original so matching it will not be hard.
Adam thanks anyways. I own a graphics shop so it will not cost me $1500. I still have remnants of my original stripes wrapped around the edges of my doors.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:33 PM   #138
AdamFromMissouri

Quote:
Adam thanks anyways. I own a graphics shop so it will not cost me $1500. I still have remnants of my original stripes wrapped around the edges of my doors.
Thats good to know that you've got a graphics Shop! How well did the original stripes hold up to the elements? Could you post some pics?
Old 01-02-2017, 03:52 PM   #139
DJ77Sport

Quote:
Thats good to know that you've got a graphics Shop! How well did the original stripes hold up to the elements? Could you post some pics?
My uncle bought the truck new in 77 and the stripes were fading and peeling by 79 so they were removed and never replaced. The original remnants were on the inside front edges of the doors mostly covered in paint. I have scraped some off for color match but are clearly faded. I don't have any pics.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:02 PM   #140
Breadfather

Wow, it's been awhile since I've been here and there have been some interesting developments. Any final pics AdamFromMissouri? Yours is the only recent picture I have seen of one similar to what mine used to be. What was the original interior? Engine, etc? It's obvious that the 77 9j9 fleet side trucks are rare. Even more rare in 4x4 and a 400ci...and I still haven't seen one with factory bucket seats in blue. Do you have any measurements on the sport bar?

Last edited by Breadfather; 05-24-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Breadfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #141
Luckyone

It has been a couple of years since I posted or even reviewed the site. Good to see some recent developments especially in the search and / or reproductions of the multiple color 77 sport truck stripe! I am very interested in the possible "kit" being offered, soon I hope. Just an update on our project, it has been at a slow pace to total preservation, in that we are using the truck weekly to haul produce to the local Farmers Market. We always have numerous folks inquire about the truck and in turn hopefully sell some produce too. I will post some recent photos soon.
Luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:14 PM   #142
Luckyone

Recent trip to Smoky Mountains
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2017, 11:11 PM   #143
AdamFromMissouri

The truck is torn to frame rails at this time. It's been put on the back burner for now due to my dad having a very serious health issue. The body shop has got the majority of the bodywork done. I rebuilt the axles for it. There's a local engine shop setting up a 6.0 ls to run in the truck for reliability sake and to protect the original engine. I will refresh that myself and put it on a stand and hide it. The truck originally came with the firethorn red interior and I actually have 2 sport rails because I went to Wyoming to get a chevy sport I found on the internet bit come to find out the only original piece on it was the bar. The guy I got that from claims it had a 400 in it originally as well as being fireside and 4x4 and it was originally baby blue.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #144
Nate_from_Utah

I know this thread is years old, but I have to chime in, to see if this subject is ongoing. I have the '77 2wd Sport my dad bought new. I'm looking for the stripes as well. My truck was black with red interior, and it was a red rubber mat. The truck was used as a display in the 1977 New Mexico Auto Show. I have found no history of that event, sadly, and my dad never thought I'd have such an interest in this truck all my life. It has been beat down and is in the process of being rebuilt. I run the Facebook page called Squaresville. If you have any update or info, please reach out to me by using my Squaresville page.
Nate_from_Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:49 PM   #145
Misled

Here is the thread on my re-creation that I posted about on your page.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=516817

I haven't got the decals figured out yet, but do hav a couple NOS ones to work from.
Misled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #146
Nate_from_Utah

Thanks for getting back to me. I didn't see anything on my Squaresville page. I am far away from needing the stripes, but I want to figure out as much as I can for a local wrap company or body shop.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:57 PM   #147
Luckyone

It has been a while and appears a while for everyone to comment in this subject post! Just wondering if anyone has found a source for the stripes. Our project had stalled but is once again progressing. The need for stripes will not be far off !
Old 09-24-2019, 05:30 PM   #148
Nate_from_Utah

Nope. Nothing yet. I am working with a local wrap company, and the local Chevy dealership I used to work at. The dealer still has all the part numbers. If I can locate one or two stripes to purchase, the wrap shop will duplicate them for me for $1200.00.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:44 PM   #149
Nate_from_Utah

I guess this is the thread is a zombie. Keeps rising from the dead. So, I got a lead on Llewellyn's Obsolete GM Parts had a couple, but they're no longer in business. Another strike out. I'm curious if anyone is still trying to duplicate these.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:44 PM   #150
Misled

I haven't yet with my pieces......keep hoping to find more originals for templates.
Misled is offline   Reply With Quote