The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
FunKing85

'85 Short Bed 4X4

New to the forum, long time lurker first time poster. I found this site when I was in high school, spent just about every minute I could on it. I always wanted and old square and a few years after school finally had the money to get one. What I wanted was specific and I could never find the right combo and I kinda gave it up and focused on my motorcycle I had but, of course as fate has it a month or two goes by and the dream truck is sitting on the side of the road literally a block from my house. From first sight to final sale was about an hour. From the beginning its been my plan to make this somewhat of a family affair between myself my father and my step brother. Ive had it for about eight months now, and problems are springing up all over the place. As I type its getting a transmission put in it, which pains me cause I'm not doing it but right now I just don't have the skill or the shop. Me and the Old man are cleaning out his shop and plan on working on it there when the transmission is done.
My knowledge of these trucks is very slim in comparison the the gurus on this forum, so I will have some very silly questions. I plan on this being a meticulous build, and seeing as I am 20 years old and pursuing a Fire Dept. job, money is a factor. I will post some Pics, forgive me if I don't get it right, I am still getting used to the format of the site.
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
FunKing85

Re: '85 Short Bed 4X4

Just for research sake, I'd like to find a thread on how to replace the motor mounts.
I have a 350 in it now, but the guy who put it there must have been blindfolded when he welded the mounts on. I am sure there is plenty of info on it, just cant seem to find it.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
FunKing85

Well, got the truck back from the transmission guy. pretty cool local guy, full rebuild for 800 bucks, he was a friend of a friend so he gave me a deal. new torque converter as well.

As for how it drives, its been better but its all due to the motor. When the transmission went i was doing about 50-60 and it dropped into first, and when it did i think it put a hurtin on the motor. There is a pretty heavy ticking/ knocking noise that gets better and worse as i drive. Tranny guy says bad cam, dad says lifters, im thinking burnt up valve. I honestly have no clue but i do know the motor needs pulled just so i can fix the terrible wiring and the botched motor mount. Right now i am not quite sure where to begin. I'll post some pics of the mounts when I can. Its horrifying!
Old 04-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
nekkidhillbilly

do a leak down test that will tell you if its a valve or something worse.
1984 k20
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
FunKing85

What exactly do you mean by leak test? sorry for the incompetence.. haha
Old 04-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
carboncrew

Very nice...I love the two tone brown. (first pickup I had was exact color).

My very own build

My tailgating ambulance
carboncrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
FunKing85

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboncrew View Post
Very nice...I love the two tone brown. (first pickup I had was exact color).
Thanks man, Didn't know i liked it so much until i saw it in person. Great color for these trucks.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
rs74

I love that color combo. Very hard to come across in those colors. Looking forward to what you do with it. Here is a pic of the same combo that I found on the web.
Attached Images

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #9
FunKing85

Same tires I have and everything. Seems they painted the wheel centers tan as well. That would be real fun to keep clean. Was that a stock option? mine are an off gray.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
FunKing85

Heres some pictures of the motor mounts as well as the front grille, which needs some attention. the turn signals arent attached to anything...
Also, just out of curiosity, what does the "cr" cutout mean on the inner fender?
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
FunKing85

More pictures
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #12
FunKing85

When doing my morning walk around the truck I noticed that my newly rebuilt transmission is leaking, more then some, less than alot, but its leaking. I guess i'll call the guy that did it. If he doesn't fix it, I will, I just dont like that it leaks.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #13
Wrecked1982

that's been cut to fit and welded to the frame . id get a used correct crossmember and replace it as soon a possible. nice starter
Wrecked1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:40 PM   #14
rs74

What's the deal with that front crossmember that is all welded up. Is that what you was talking about that the previous owner did? I would find one in a junk yard and get that swapped out ASAP. That doesn't look safe to me.

As far as the rims on that truck they have been painted. All the factory rallies were silver. That is a pretty nice looking truck you have. For some reason I have a soft spot for that color combo.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 04-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #15
FunKing85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
What's the deal with that front crossmember that is all welded up. Is that what you was talking about that the previous owner did? I would find one in a junk yard and get that swapped out ASAP. That doesn't look safe to me.

As far as the rims on that truck they have been painted. All the factory rallies were silver. That is a pretty nice looking truck you have. For some reason I have a soft spot for that color combo.
Yeah, that was the previous owner. Its on its way out as soon as possible. I agree about the safety of it, not acceptable. I suppose a junkyard find is a good idea, maybe ill do some research on the internet and see if i can find a new part, i like that idea better, but money is a factor.

The longer i have it, the more i realize its my favorite paint combo. Thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #16
FunKing85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecked1982 View Post
that's been cut to fit and welded to the frame . id get a used correct crossmember and replace it as soon a possible. nice starter
That starter will turn it over for days!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #17
rs74

Cocoa Auto Salvage and Mangum's Auto Parts in Cocoa say they have one. One says $75.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 04-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #18
FunKing85

Dude, you're the man! I will run over to cocoa auto sometime next week or so.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #19
rs74

I use http://www.car-part.com/ when I looked them up. I haven't been down your way for some time but last time I was at Cocoa beach I got to see the shuttle take off and thought that was pretty awesome. My sister lived in Orlando but now lives in Gainesville.

That site said one was an 89-91 and the other was from a 90. I assume they are all the same. I punched in 85 and they list all that will cross fit all those years. Next towns were Vero Beach and Kissimmee. Good luck. They might even have the correct grille that you need for those turn signal lights.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 04-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #20
aotte1

Looks like you have a great truck, that will be lots of fun.

A couple of answers for you, "leak down test" checks the condition of the combustion chamber process, e.g. the valves, rings, etc. It uses compressed air to check condition, two pressure gauges are used and compressed air is injected into a cylinder through the spark plug hole. Reading the difference between the two gauges tells you the condition. I will try to post a picture of one.

The "CR" and "CL" I assume means right and left sides of the engine bay, and the "C" I though means a C style truck( the is just a guess on my part).

Good luck on your truck.

Les
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:43 PM   #21
Wrecked1982

---When the transmission went i was doing about 50-60 and it dropped into first, and when it did i think it put a hurtin on the motor----

youre lucky with that crossmember that the engine didn't bang in the hood
Wrecked1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #22
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunKing85 View Post
I honestly have no clue but i do know the motor needs pulled just so i can fix the terrible wiring and the botched motor mount. Right now i am not quite sure where to begin.
I say that I will have a truck come down and just take it off your hands for you. That way you don't have to worry about fixing it. I will just have to take a beating on the repairs it needs I guess.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 04-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #23
FunKing85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
I use http://www.car-part.com/ when I looked them up. I haven't been down your way for some time but last time I was at Cocoa beach I got to see the shuttle take off and thought that was pretty awesome. My sister lived in Orlando but now lives in Gainesville.

That site said one was an 89-91 and the other was from a 90. I assume they are all the same. I punched in 85 and they list all that will cross fit all those years. Next towns were Vero Beach and Kissimmee. Good luck. They might even have the correct grille that you need for those turn signal lights.
Great info man, thanks alot. I think i will probably end up getting a new grille, stock stle of course. I've been around here my whole life, shuttles and rockets were just that loud noise that woke you up in the night. haha now i appreciate it more.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #24
FunKing85

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotte1 View Post
Looks like you have a great truck, that will be lots of fun.

A couple of answers for you, "leak down test" checks the condition of the combustion chamber process, e.g. the valves, rings, etc. It uses compressed air to check condition, two pressure gauges are used and compressed air is injected into a cylinder through the spark plug hole. Reading the difference between the two gauges tells you the condition. I will try to post a picture of one.

The "CR" and "CL" I assume means right and left sides of the engine bay, and the "C" I though means a C style truck( the is just a guess on my part).

Good luck on your truck.

Les
That test sounds exactly like the kind of thing i need. I will have to get my hands on one of those and read into how to do it properly.

As for the fenders, seems like a logical assumption. This truck was originally a 2 wheel drive, according to VIN decoders, so the "c" makes sense.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #25
FunKing85

Did alot of thinking last night on where to progress from here, only logical solution is to start with the removing the motor. Its something ive never done before, but I can think my way through it, and i have the convenience of another truck to drive while its out. While the motor is out, I have a laundry list of items to fix,
- Motor crossmember
- Motor Mounts
- any other ghetto weld job i see
-crazy wiring
-replace inner fender apron
-something im forgetting
-all the other things i'll be appalled at when i find them
- fix/rebuild/make the motor pretty.

I cant decide weather to take the grille and radiator support off before i pull the motor. I think it would make my life alot easier, plus i need to do alot of work to it and the lights. etc. Plus it may make the replacement inner fender apron easier to install (passenger side) I like to do the project start to finish in my head and have a realll nice plan to disregard when i run into something unexpected.