The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2021, 08:03 PM   #1
eric8

Clutch replacement

I'm doing my first ever clutch replacement on a 77 C10 with a 350. The factory service manual is talking about "X" marks on flywheels, white dots on pressure plates and discs, etc etc and lining all this stuff up. I've gone all new though with a Ram flywheel and Luk PP and disc, and I see no type of markings on any of these parts. Am I missing something? Don't wanna screw anything up.
eric8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:17 PM   #2
kipps

Re: Clutch replacement

I've done two clutch replacements on 1980's trucks. One was a Chevrolet, and one was a Ford. I didn't do anything about lining up stuff like that. The only advice I would have that might not be totally obvious, is make sure the clutch disk faces the right direction(otherwise it could hang up on the flywheel bolts), and tighten the pressure plate bolts evenly(don't tighten them down too much out of sequence, or you could warp the pressure plate flange). Otherwise, it's pretty straight forward. Also, use blue loctite on everything.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:34 AM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Clutch replacement

I have an old input shaft from a saginaw 3 speed that I use as an alignment tool. If there were markings on the disk, flywheel, and pressure plate I never noticed them. Have not had to do one in a while since I sold the truck with the manual a couple years ago.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote