The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2021, 07:45 PM   #1
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Question Oil Gauge Noise (Ticking)?

So I think my oil gauge is ticking. It's been bugging me for a bit now and I have just decided to focus on it after eliminating other things that move in the dash.

1. I don't hear it in the engine bay or under - so I am pretty sure its not coming from there or a exhaust leak.
2. If I have the door open while reving it up to 2.5k, I can't hear it over the engine.
3. Starts to peak / coming in around 2k or so. Let it go to idle its all but gone. So when you are driving with the AC on low at 65 you hear it real good (ugh).
4. I can bend over grab the oil line and "feel" the ticking pattern (matches what I hear).

So, is this a thing that your oil gauge can tick? I am not finding any search hits so it has me wondering if I am wrong here.

I do have a new line from LockDoc but I haven't installed as I need to get a new firewall grommet (actually, I need to get two, another one to seal up the old wiper holes pass-through). I doubled check to insure it isn't touching something (like vibrating on something metal). Though I suppose I could wrap it in some electrical tape to completely rule that out. I also suppose I could figure out a way to disconnect the line from the engine and block it off for a test...

Anyways, though I'd ask here before I start pulling to much apart LOL

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:47 PM   #2
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: Oil Gauge Noise (Ticking)?

actually, when I searched - lots of things came up but none of the things I want it to be LOL

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 04-12-2021, 10:00 PM   #3
Luvlegs

Swing in the dark - any chance the tach or speedo cable is causing the tick (needs lube)?

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:11 PM   #4
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Naw, this last test is in the garage and I disconnect the tach from the coil. Its most def coming from the gauge/line - I gave the line a good hold and the tick is more or less muffled to near nothing the closer I hold to the gauge.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:43 PM   #5
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Found and fixed, or pretty sure of it. I had to flip on my back and look up at the copper line path.

Where the line comes out and starts a not very good loop (there is like a mile of copper line under the dash) it was slap up against the brake pedal brace. I tighten the loop up a bit and made sure between the gauge and the firewall it wasn't touching anything. Well other than one of the AC hoses, impossible for this line to miss it. I think it is one of the defroster hoses that is right in front of the gauge.

Test drove with windows up, AC off, and no radio - no ticky tack noise. We'll see if that holds.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:25 PM   #6
MikeB

Yep, just a couple 2" diameter loops somewhere in the line will cure the ticking. Don't ask me why. When a buddy told me that many years ago, I thought he was kidding. But I did it anyway and it fixed the problem!
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is online now   Reply With Quote