The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2021, 06:44 PM   #1
wazzabie

junk yard 73-87 chevy's

I use to see alot of these at the junk yards. Now just a few. I still find some but I think the golden days of these being in junk yards is nearing an end. Maybe it is the pandemic or maybe people are selling thru FB now.
wazzabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:57 PM   #2
bigschuss

Re: junk yard 73-87 chevy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzabie View Post
I use to see alot of these at the junk yards. Now just a few. I still find some but I think the golden days of these being in junk yards is nearing an end. Maybe it is the pandemic or maybe people are selling thru FB now.
Out here in the East junkyards are a thing of the past. The last time I walked one here in Mass. was about 5 years ago, and yes, at that time there were no square bodies. Now, they are all gone. Environmental regulations have wiped out junk yards.
Where junk yards still do exist I think you rarely see square bodies as they are high in demand..even for rotted out junk.

Last edited by bigschuss; 04-04-2021 at 07:18 AM.
bigschuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:09 PM   #3
wazzabie

Out here there are some rust free squarebodies to be found still. There was a perfectly rust free 1985 short bed in the junk yard that never should have been crushed.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:12 PM   #4
kipps

Most pick and pull yards here in Virginia don't have anything remotely that old. There is a classic u-pick yard here locally that probably has 30 of them, though. There's still 1930's vehicles in his yard.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:42 PM   #5
ZAKU-RED

I'm a part of a Squarebody FB group, and it's pretty interesting when the topic comes up about how either hard or easy it is to find squares.

In my neck of the woods they can easily be found and in the grand scheme of things can be bought for cheap but I'm not certain how long it's going to last though as people are seeing how much these Trucks are going up in price due to the demand.

I got mine from my Landlord for around 500 bucks or so, and he has at least 5-6 more of them sitting at his personal junkyard or so near his house.

I was lucky enough the one I snagged was 1973 even though it does have its share of rust problems which isn't surprising. Don't really see many of those around my area.
ZAKU-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

the yard i delever all my scrap to just crushes them no matter how much i beg him to hold them.. its a pick and pull too

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:30 PM   #7
wazzabie

I just got a rust free passenger door today from the junk yard. It even came with the door panel in nice condition which I don't need.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:02 PM   #8
truckin 79

Here in CO there are 3 really good junkyards that get 1-2 Squares a week. I go ever other week to one of the local junkyards here, I would go every week but wife says NO. Anyway even going every other week if there is a new square in the yard they get picked clean before I can get to them.
I think the word is out these trucks are the KEWL vehicle to own
Old 04-05-2021, 01:56 PM   #9
MJN

There was a yard back home I would go to frequently that had a lot of old GM trucks and I wanted to save almost all of them. Still kicking myself for not grabbing more parts than I did at the time. My current neighbor works at a local salvage yard and has this dooley pickup trailer sitting in his pasture. Doesn't look like there is a dent or any rust on it, fenders aren't smashed (yet) and it has all the marker lights and trim yet, just cut it off and welded a hitch from a John Deere manure spreader on the front. Doubt he'll ever get rid of it, looks like he still uses it but he's a typical scrap guy and it all gets junked eventually. I watched a '75/'76 GMC Sierra Grande 25 get hauled into the scrap yard last week, just another one getting squished.
Attached Images

'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:50 PM   #10
Wgesnerjr

At the Pull-a-Part yards in ATL there used to be tons of them. Then I noticed that alot of old iron stopped showing up after Cash for Clunkers ended.

Last time I went was 1 80's diesel truck and 1 90s burb with a big block.

However, we just picked up a low mileage (61K) 2010 Altima from a family friend. My buddy and I went for a few small things and there were 20+ at each yards in ATL! I got to pick parts AND choose colors!

I remember when square bodies were that way. :-(

P.S. I want to build one of those trailers so bad.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #11
Axle

Haven't had a usable square in a junkyard here for at least 10 years. Anytime anything resembling a square shows up it has been stripped clean of anything useable before even getting to the yard. I stripped my old 83 down to the bare bones when I got rid of it, probably gave a few people a glimer of hope if they saw it in the yard it went to, but they would be sorely disappointed when they got closer to it.
Really not much of anything from the 80's anymore that isn't a ragged out hulk. People keep what they have and with the popularity of older vehicles they usually sell to somebody looking for a parts vehicle... and then they end up at the yard.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote