The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2021, 03:13 PM   #1
HeloCrewChief

72' Blazer interior assembly tips?

I'm getting ready to bring my Blazer home and start reassembling it. Does the rear carpet and wheel well carpet go on first and then the interior side panels or side panels first and carpet last? Thank you.
1968 Chevelle
1964 Comet Caliente
1990 W250 Cummins
HeloCrewChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:48 PM   #2
72ironmike

Re: 72' Blazer interior assembly tips?

How cool ! I do not know, but I am subscribed since I will be doing one in a couple weeks.
72ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:10 PM   #3
truckster

I'm pretty sure it has to be carpet first.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #4
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Why not keep it original style and skip the wheel tub carpet? Only mentioning because I've had problems fitting the Truckworld rear panels over carpeted wheel tubs and skipped this carpet on my current blazer. If I remember correctly, the carpet for CST goes up to but not deep to the panels (blocked by the panel brackets along the bed floor). Make sure the carpet is for a CST application.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:49 PM   #5
HeloCrewChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Why not keep it original style and skip the wheel tub carpet? Only mentioning because I've had problems fitting the Truckworld rear panels over carpeted wheel tubs and skipped this carpet on my current blazer. If I remember correctly, the carpet for CST goes up to but not deep to the panels (blocked by the panel brackets along the bed floor). Make sure the carpet is for a CST application.
Thanks for the reply. The carpet kit is from ACC and the previous owner bought it. What is original? Just carpet on the rear floor area and not the wheel tub carpet? Wheel tubs exposed body color and carpet tucked underneath the side panels? Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
HeloCrewChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:59 PM   #6
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeloCrewChief View Post
Thanks for the reply. The carpet kit is from ACC and the previous owner bought it. What is original? Just carpet on the rear floor area and not the wheel tub carpet? Wheel tubs exposed body color and carpet tucked underneath the side panels? Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep, original is no carpet on wheel tubs or as a water fall extending across the step face where the tire iron is stored. The forward edge of the carpet will need trimming under the front carpet strip. The carpet sides should just lay along the rear panels no trimming required. If the carpet is wide enough to extend to the bedsides it’s not CST carpet.

I like the contrast of color that comes from the exposed wheel tubs and step face.

The jack and posi instruction decals affix to the rear face of the LH wheel tub.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:59 AM   #7
Ptjsk

Yep, Pete is correct again!

I just recently went through this with my '72 Jimmy. If you have a CST option, be sure to order the carpet for CST trucks. The side panels go on first and then the carpet lays in, and up to the sides of the panels. If you order the carpet, absent specifying the CST option, you will then get carpet that is designed to go all the way to the sides of the bed area.

Again (as Pete referred to), I just left the wheel well carpet completely out. The wheel-well carpet will not fit, under and behind the side panels.

Pat
Ptjsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:01 PM   #8
SeventyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptjsk View Post
Yep, Pete is correct again!

I just recently went through this with my '72 Jimmy. If you have a CST option, be sure to order the carpet for CST trucks. The side panels go on first and then the carpet lays in, and up to the sides of the panels. If you order the carpet, absent specifying the CST option, you will then get carpet that is designed to go all the way to the sides of the bed area.

Again (as Pete referred to), I just left the wheel well carpet completely out. The wheel-well carpet will not fit, under and behind the side panels.

Pat
Hm...I installed my carpet first then the side panels and didn't have any issue. I'll also recommend again against the carpet on the wheel wells.
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:49 PM   #9
Ptjsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
Hm...I installed my carpet first then the side panels and didn't have any issue. I'll also recommend again against the carpet on the wheel wells.
Wow....Yea, I couldn't do that. I have the original side panels and there was no way the carpet was going to fit under the side panels. Plus, there are the small metal 90 degree angle pieces that the bottom of the panels screw into.

I guess you just never know when these trucks are pushing 50 years old! LOL!

Pat
Ptjsk is offline   Reply With Quote