The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2006, 11:21 PM   #1
Boog
laying low

1 or 2 piece shafts ?

Are there any advantages to running a 2 piece driveshaft over a 1 pc in a 2 wd short wheelbase truck?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #2
farside847

Re: 1 or 2 piece shafts ?

Only if you like replaceing carrier bearings.... I just replaced mine with a 1 piece becuase my two piece would only last 6 months at a time between rebuilds...
Old 10-12-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

when you went to a 1 pc drive shaft did one from another vehicle fit? or did u have it custom built?
I have a lwb, it would be nice if there was a direct fit from some other truck..
smoknbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

A one piece shaft is a great band aid to repairing the actual problem... like, if your bearing goes out ever 6 months, they should last more like 1 or 2 HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES

A one piece is nice to have when it is time to redo the U-joints and stuff, some ppl will tell you they are stronger (BS) but in all reality, there's more advantages to a multi piece shaft.
But no body wants them, so it's a moot point.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
71SWBChevy
Post Whore

Hey andy what are the advantages to a multi piece? And why do so many carrier bearings go out so often on people? I know people with hundreds of thousands of miles on the old 2 piece without a problem. I was planning on putting the 2 piece back in unless someone gives me a great reason I should pay to have a 1 piece made.

'71 Chevy 350/TH350 Hugger Orange
Currently just a rolling frame, body work soon to follow!!!
Check out my Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=212927

Daily Driver: 1997 Chevrolet S-10 with more gears than pistons
71SWBChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
RSRXION

Mine is a 3 piece shaft. But then again the bed is 19 feet long. The advantage to a multi piece shaft ( in my opinion ) is ride comfort and durability. The use of carrier bearings and slip joints allows better chassis and suspension movement without binding. When balanced properly there is no detectable vibration thereby yielding smooth ride quality. I suspect that the cause of the frequent carrier bearing failure is a direct result of a balance issue. Lastly , 2 short shafts splined together are much stronger when resisting twist forces . JMHO, Dean

Last edited by RSRXION; 10-12-2006 at 08:04 PM.
RSRXION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:42 PM   #7
Longhorn Man

You can have more extreem angles when you have more than one joint. Example, picture a monster truck in your mind... not the new mega dollar ones, but the ones of the early 80's where anyone with an old truck and huge farm tires was able to play. Now imagine the drive line angle. If you had a C-bearing in the middle, you could divide that angle in 1/2. From the tranny to the bearing, you have X degrees... then from the C-bearing to the diff, you could add more angle to it... another X degrees.
As mentioned, the splines with shorter shafts are stronger than a single shaft
Small advantage, when towing you unbolt the rear one, slide it off the front shaft, no tranny fluid leaking. Toss the rear shaft in the bed, and lets go. No tranny damage, tow it all day long with the rear tires on the ground.
The longer the sahft, the more precise it has to be, both on strength, and trueness, and once you get to a certian length (right at 6 feet) the shafts commonly start to sag ever so slightly, and then 'whip' as you spin it faster. This is why most drive shaft shops will send LWB truck owners away. If they do say they can build it, then they have to make it out of a larger diameter pipe, which causes other problems under the truck.

Common problems for carrier bearing failure...
Cheap parts. many of the new ones need a bead of weld added to make up for where the tiwaneese sweat shop only spot welded.
Shaft out of ballance, or not phased properly
Incorrect placement of the C-bearing... not installed far enough on the shaft
Not lubricating the slip joint
Bad motor mount causing bad driveline angles
improper instalation (IE, putting it on with a hammer)

Please, anyone feel free to add to my list.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:50 AM   #8
69TowRig

One-piece shafts have less rotating mass than two-piece, due to the lack of extra yokes, joint, and bearings.

One-piece shafts take more effort to balance properly, and if damaged can whip pretty bad.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:30 AM   #9
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

Ok, so what about for lowered trucks? I have a 69 lwb with a 2 piece shaft. I will be dropping a new engine in it 400hp and a 700R4, and had planned on having a single drive shaft made. Should i? or should i keep the 2 shaft and just get a shorter front shaft when i put the 700r4 in?
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:36 AM   #10
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

I've had both LWB and SWB with 1 piece shafts. I like the 1 piece in the SWB but recommend the 2 piece in the LWB with that Hi performance center support that some one showed here a while back in a nice billet housing . The 1 piece we had in the LWB never did feel right to me. I have NO problems with the 1 piece in my Shorty
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #11
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

The long wb trucks, do need a 2 pc shaft for all reasons mentioned above. IMO, the swb trucks will NOT benefit by having a 2 pc shaft. The shaft is plenty short enough to balance out fine as a 1 pc, & you have done away with extra parts, & potential extra problems I have played the headaches with the 2 pc shafts in several old trucks. They are heavy as already mentioned, expensive to build/repair, & a little more finnicky to set up (due to the extra U joint). That said, I still have to run a 2 pc in my longhorn due to the lenght. I have been told that a carbon fiber shaft can support the extra lenght without problems......other than an empty wallet L
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #12
71SWBChevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn View Post
I have been told that a carbon fiber shaft can support the extra lenght without problems......other than an empty wallet L
Just go to Subway and you will get a fat wallet which you can cure with a carbon fiber shaft!

'71 Chevy 350/TH350 Hugger Orange
Currently just a rolling frame, body work soon to follow!!!
Check out my Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=212927

Daily Driver: 1997 Chevrolet S-10 with more gears than pistons
71SWBChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:49 AM   #13
72 Cheyenne402

I had a one piece shaft in my 72 LWB for almost 2 hours before took it out and put the 2 piece with the carrier bearing and slipshaft back in. I prefer the two piece because for ride quality, duribility, and it felt like my 402 was going to twist the one piece shaft in two. Maybe on a SWB of a leaf spring rear end it would be OK but, a one piece is not for me.
72 Cheyenne402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #14
albertarose

crazy longhorn I am concidering tying the one piece driveshaft on my 69 short box do I have to have one made up ? what else can you tell me about this swap ? thanks ..leon
albertarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:31 PM   #15
Longhorn Man

some SWB trucks had them stock.
My old 69 SWB had a small block in the correct location, a short shaft TH350, and the drive shaft was 4 ft 10 inches. This was with a coil spring rear at stock height.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:09 PM   #16
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
For a carrier bearing I would go straight to the Chevy dealer, if they are still available. No way I would put a cheap one in if I had a choice.....

Just my 2˘ worth.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-14-2007 at 06:12 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:27 PM   #17
Longhorn Man

For a drive shaft?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #18
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
For a drive shaft?
Sorry, I should have stated for a "Carrier Bearing".....

Fixed in original post.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-14-2007 at 06:14 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #19
albertarose

Thanks Richard To be more specific its a stock heights suspension with coils 69 shorty it was an orig 396 truck but had a 350 when I got it I found a 396 and mounted it in what I believe is in the stock location ..again it has ths pulsing vibration that Im quite sure is in the drive train ..I had replaced the steady and U jounts trying to make it go away without success ..I will still try changing yoke vrs rear shaft position one half turn as you suggested to the other guy ..My friend thinks I should go to one piece shaft because of less moving parts = less troubles..how will the shaft line up without the steady bearing in use ? do I need to change the cross member to clear or anything else you can think of ? thanks again for your reply...Leon
albertarose is offline   Reply With Quote