The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #11
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: Crew Cab build preview...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehstr View Post
When you have the rear door finished up, I'll be interested in seeing how you did it. My dad and I really want to do a crew cab one day.
There are detailed pics on some of the build threads on how to make the door, I used that information and it made it easier, its a lot of cutting welding and fitting.

Basically its this...

1. Shorten the door.
2. Move the upper hinge mount down, about 1.5", get the dimension from the 3rd door of the burb, take the front inner door skin off to do this, it needs to be modified to match the B pillar anyway (more upright)
3. Move the window regulator and inside handle mount forward, about 1.5", I don't remember the exact number, again get the dimension from the 3rd burb door.
4. Make clearance inside the door for the front window channel (inside door hinge reinforcement)
5. At the front of the door where the door lock would be on the inner skin, replace that panel with one from a passenger side door, this gives the pull lock hole and the proper inside contour to match the B pillar
6. Build the front of the inside door skin to accommodate the front window frame which will also accommodate the front window channel.
7. Use the locking relays from a donor 3rd door to make them fit the 4th door, you can remove the rivets from the mounts flip the pivot arms over and restake the rivets, drill some holes and bolt it in, the lock rod needs to be reversed and so will the handle rod too.

That's most of it...its a lot of measuring, cutting, fitting and welding.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote