The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2020, 07:24 PM   #1
dboz71

Drop Spindles and Brakes on QA1??

Hello everyone,
pretty new to the forum and am trying to get some things put together for the truck. I know my name says 71, but I have a 67 swb that we are trying to get the frame put together.
My son and I saved our pennies and got the QA1 front set up and are trying to put the spindles and brakes that won't break the bank.
He ordered the new X10 drop spindle and hub from CPP to find that it needs 13inch brakes or larger, which will also require larger tires. I know it might not make sense, but I wanted to put 15's on the truck with smoothies and am needing any help to know which direction I should go.
Which spindles, hub and brakes will make this work??
Any help would be truly appreciated.
Thanks

Also found out when we bought the suspension , that it requires stuff from 73-87, which also is making this a little tougher.
dboz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:26 AM   #2

Re: Drop Spindles and Brakes on QA1??

First off....welcome and good luck with your build with your son. The x10 is by design for the bigger brake setup. This is patterned after the wilwood set up. If u go 2 the wilwood site, u will c the resemblance between not only the spindle but the big brake pro setup. If u want to stay with the 15 in wheels, u will need the basic drop spindle from cpp (73/87).The reason they use the square body front ends is bigger tie rods and ball joints plus it converts all trucks to 1 size parts. The square body’s parts were all the same for a much longer period of time making replacements easier to find. If u go to u tube, there is an older gentleman that has done this setup. He kept his 15 in wheels. His video can help u see just how it all turns out and he gives a short review of the ride quality along with the handling.
3767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:17 PM   #3
dboz71

Thank you for the heads up. Do you by any chance have the link for the youtube video you're referencing?
Old 04-10-2020, 02:51 PM   #4

Luckys garage. Worth a look before u start.
3767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:25 PM   #5
dboz71

Yeah, saw his stuff. Pretty awesome and QA1 has some good videos on their install, just looking to find out what spindles and calipers will work with the X10 and what wheel sizes go with them.
Thanks for the heads up on Lucky's Channel though, I appreciate it.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #6
69GMC2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboz71 View Post
Yeah, saw his stuff. Pretty awesome and QA1 has some good videos on their install, just looking to find out what spindles and calipers will work with the X10 and what wheel sizes go with them.
Thanks for the heads up on Lucky's Channel though, I appreciate it.
If you use a stock spindle or a drop spindle for stock brakes with 73-87 ball joints, you should be able to use the stock disc brakes.
69GMC2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:48 PM   #7
Grumpy old man

you know , no disrespect but just buying parts by some brand name without knowing what other parts are needed or what other brand parts work with them is just a really bad idea ! Call QA1 and ask them what fits , And if they don't know find another suspension company , Lot's of different companies out there selling their brand and not all of them are worth the price .

Fancy web sites are cheap , Finding good parts with good support is what everyone should be looking for when you go custom .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:43 PM   #8
dboz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GMC2004 View Post
If you use a stock spindle or a drop spindle for stock brakes with 73-87 ball joints, you should be able to use the stock disc brakes.
Thank you for the direction. I appreciate it.