The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2020, 08:36 PM   #1
conoco

4 inch lift install question

I just received my 4 inch lift. Springs all the way around and dual steering stabilizer and extended brake lines. Do I need the drop pitman arm for the install or will the stock arm work. Everything I have read some say yes, most say no. The kit didn't come with one. But other of the same kits for different year trucks do come with one. I guess I could fit it together and find out. I just don't want to have to wait a week to get the part if I need it. Any one have a 4 inch lift with the stock arm? Thank you.

Its for a 1972 GMC K2500
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
Greasey Harley

Re: 4 inch lift install question

4” is right on the edge. 6" lift definitely needs a dropped Pittman. with a 4 inch lift, personally, I would recommend the dropped Pittman arm or offset draglink, otherwise you will likely notice reduced steering radius ( to the left of I remember correctly)
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:30 PM   #3
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasey Harley View Post
4” is right on the edge. 6" lift definitely needs a dropped Pittman. with a 4 inch lift, personally, I would recommend the dropped Pittman arm or offset draglink, otherwise you will likely notice reduced steering radius ( to the left of I remember correctly)
I suppose I will just order the Dropped Pittman arm to be on the safe side so I dont have to stop the install and wait for it to get to alaska LOL. I can always return it if I don't need it. Just weird how some say they don't have to change anything with 4inch lift and other do. Just like most people that have the 4 inch lift have no problem running 35's and yet some people swear that you need 6 inch at a minimum.

I am going to replace the body mounts why I'm under there. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:39 PM   #4
Jcfcamaro

I bought a raised pitman arm on my 4in lift. It sure helped out on the angle of the tie rod ends.
Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:44 PM   #5
Fbks_Cruiser

Hey Conoco, what kit did you go with? Just curious cuz shipping suspension parts to AK is expensive! I went with BDS for my FJ40 because I could buy it locally and hated it.

Are you at home or stuck on the slope?

Matt
Fbks_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:45 PM   #6
70'

Definitely run the Dropped Pitman arm at a minimum, but if you can consider going to Crossover steering. It is a much better system. Super solid, stable, and fixes all the angle issues in the entire steering system.
70' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:58 PM   #7
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbks_Cruiser View Post
Hey Conoco, what kit did you go with? Just curious cuz shipping suspension parts to AK is expensive! I went with BDS for my FJ40 because I could buy it locally and hated it.

Are you at home or stuck on the slope?
Man I have been stuck on the slope the last 4 weeks, its crazy as you probably know. I get home on the 13th finally then have a month off.

I went with the roughcountry. I was looking at all of them and read the reviews for them, tuff country and skyjacker. Price wasn't the issue but I refused to pay tuff country and skyacker 500 dollars in shipping.

Rough country not only dropped there price by $130 yesterday but then there shipping was only $180. I understand shipping is always a pain to come to aAaska, but when the other lift kits wanted more that half of what the lift kit cost in the first place for shipping, I gotta draw the line somewhere. I saw enough rough country reviews and videos to make my decision. I am not picky on the ride stiffness. Its an old truck, not a new tahoe. I think because all the businesses are hurting pretty bad right now that they are practically giving stuff away. I was going to order this kit last week. I am glad I waited. I saved almost 400 bucks and went ahead and ordered the dual steering stabilizer and stainless steel brake lines for the front and rear. I'm sure I will be pleased. If i'm not I will still drive it with a smile

You in fairbanks? You guys getting hit pretty hard from what I have been reading. I will install the kit and everything else starting on the 25th. I will shoot you some pics and let you know how it drives. Stay safe brother.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:00 PM   #8
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70' View Post
Definitely run the Dropped Pitman arm at a minimum, but if you can consider going to Crossover steering. It is a much better system. Super solid, stable, and fixes all the angle issues in the entire steering system.
I will look into this. I briefly started reading stuff on it and it looks like alot of stuff has to be changed and upgraded. I will do some more research. Your right though, everything I have seen so far tells me that cross over is the way to go!! if you have any input on the parts involved that would be awesome. Stay Safe
Old 04-07-2020, 12:10 AM   #9
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by conoco View Post
I just received my 4 inch lift. Springs all the way around and dual steering stabilizer and extended brake lines. Do I need the drop pitman arm for the install or will the stock arm work. Everything I have read some say yes, most say no. The kit didn't come with one. But other of the same kits for different year trucks do come with one. I guess I could fit it together and find out. I just don't want to have to wait a week to get the part if I need it. Any one have a 4 inch lift with the stock arm? Thank you.

Its for a 1972 GMC K2500
Best to have the drag link level or just a slight incline at ride height. This is more important with the stock steering system as the drag link is short. I recommend the 4" steering arm with a 4" lift. The drop pitman arm is only 2". Stay away from the "S" shaped drag links. You will have increased bump steer with them. All they do is alleviate the ball joint angles on the link. Ball joint on steering arm and pitman arm still sit at an angle.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #10
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

Your much better off going with a 4" raised steering arm. It will get your drag link level and will steer much better than the drop pitman arm.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:37 PM   #11
mrtoni

Probably don’t have a 4 wheel parts in your town but they ordered me a skyjacker 2.5 softride with free shipping. It was like $600 and less than &1000 total installed

Quote:
Man I have been stuck on the slope the last 4 weeks, its crazy as you probably know. I get home on the 13th finally then have a month off.

I went with the roughcountry. I was looking at all of them and read the reviews for them, tuff country and skyjacker. Price wasn't the issue but I refused to pay tuff country and skyacker 500 dollars in shipping.

Rough country not only dropped there price by $130 yesterday but then there shipping was only $180. I understand shipping is always a pain to come to aAaska, but when the other lift kits wanted more that half of what the lift kit cost in the first place for shipping, I gotta draw the line somewhere. I saw enough rough country reviews and videos to make my decision. I am not picky on the ride stiffness. Its an old truck, not a new tahoe. I think because all the businesses are hurting pretty bad right now that they are practically giving stuff away. I was going to order this kit last week. I am glad I waited. I saved almost 400 bucks and went ahead and ordered the dual steering stabilizer and stainless steel brake lines for the front and rear. I'm sure I will be pleased. If i'm not I will still drive it with a smile

You in fairbanks? You guys getting hit pretty hard from what I have been reading. I will install the kit and everything else starting on the 25th. I will shoot you some pics and let you know how it drives. Stay safe brother.
Posted via Mobile Device
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:44 PM   #12
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZERMAN View Post
Your much better off going with a 4" raised steering arm. It will get your drag link level and will steer much better than the drop pitman arm.
So I bought the 4 inch raised steering arm. The only one I could find was for a 1973 and up. I was confused at first. I checked LMC and looks like the steering arms are identical for the 72 and 73 and up. The one I purchased is the SuperLift 3000 4 inch raised steering arm. On 2 websites it shows it fits for a 67-72 gmc, but on the other two websites it says it doesn't fit. Hopefully it does. I will post a picture of the before and after for all you guys. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:21 PM   #13
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
So I bought the 4 inch raised steering arm. The only one I could find was for a 1973 and up. I was confused at first. I checked LMC and looks like the steering arms are identical for the 72 and 73 and up. The one I purchased is the SuperLift 3000 4 inch raised steering arm. On 2 websites it shows it fits for a 67-72 gmc, but on the other two websites it says it doesn't fit. Hopefully it does. I will post a picture of the before and after for all you guys. Thanks for the help.
Good choice that is by far a better way to go than the dropped pitman. You will be fine with the 73+ arm.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #14
tim71

Have fun getting the original steering arm off, took me 3 days. Would have been a much easier job if axle wasn't still under the truck.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:06 PM   #15
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim71 View Post
Have fun getting the original steering arm off, took me 3 days. Would have been a much easier job if axle wasn't still under the truck.
Luckily I took it off last month when I replaced the steering shaft, the Steering gear box and did my brakes. It was a pain to get off. I just let it soak for a bit and was very careful with the torch. Cant wait to get all this stuff put on.It's been a long month on this damn oil patch!!!!
Old 04-07-2020, 11:06 PM   #16
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Luckily I took it off last month when I replaced the steering shaft, the Steering gear box and did my brakes. It was a pain to get off. I just let it soak for a bit and was very careful with the torch. Cant wait to get all this stuff put on.It's been a long month on this damn oil patch!!!!
Be glad you’re still working! I’m in production in New Mexico and I’m still at it as well, but all the drilling and frack crews are laid up. If you’ve had that arm off recently it won’t be too bad. Those conical inserts can be a real pain in the ass for sure.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:22 PM   #17
burnin oil

My 72 k20 had a home brew 4" for years (ex fire department
brush truck) then I replaced the springs with new 4" springs on all 4 corners. Still has the factory arm. No wear issues at all in 5 years. In fact the only thing replaced was the leaking steering box. An addition of a front stabilizer bar was a good investment though. I made mounts for a 73 up bar not long after the new springs went under the front. I have put a ton of miles on here including a round trip from VA to TX.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:51 PM   #18
fishmunger

Does anyone have pics of stock vs dropped steering arm on the truck? I got a 72 K10 with a 4" lift and I'm assuming its 'stock' but it all looks pretty level, maybe I'm wrong.
fishmunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #19
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmunger View Post
Does anyone have pics of stock vs dropped steering arm on the truck? I got a 72 K10 with a 4" lift and I'm assuming its 'stock' but it all looks pretty level, maybe I'm wrong.
I will post a pic tomorrow of my stock arm.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:51 PM   #20
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
Be glad you’re still working! I’m in production in New Mexico and I’m still at it as well, but all the drilling and frack crews are laid up. If you’ve had that arm off recently it won’t be too bad. Those conical inserts can be a real pain in the ass for sure.
I'm sorry brother, they laid all the rigs down up here too. It will all come back soon. I was very fortunate that I could get a month of work in, lot of my buddies were not as lucky. This camp has been a ghost town the 4 weeks I just spent up here. It's crazy. Hopefully another month everything goes back to normal. Or normal ish
Old 04-09-2020, 10:41 PM   #21
fishmunger

here's a pic of what I've been working on. It's a 72 k10 I got a few months ago. Came with a 4" lift and 35 x 12.5s on it. I've replaced the leaky steering box with a redhead and replaced the drag link and added an ORD frame brace so far. I don't know if my arm is stock or not? Just thought I'd throw it up, maybe it will help someone...
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2020, 11:02 PM   #22
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Looks like a raised steering arm to me If you’ve got a 4” lift. Your drag link looks pretty level. Compare your lifter angle to my stock angle. (It has a castle nut on the upper end now)
Attached Images

Last edited by 57taskforce; 04-09-2020 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #23
fishmunger

Yeew!! Finally something on my truck that the PO didn't mickey mouse and did right!!!!
Old 04-10-2020, 10:48 AM   #24
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmunger View Post
here's a pic of what I've been working on. It's a 72 k10 I got a few months ago. Came with a 4" lift and 35 x 12.5s on it. I've replaced the leaky steering box with a redhead and replaced the drag link and added an ORD frame brace so far. I don't know if my arm is stock or not? Just thought I'd throw it up, maybe it will help someone...
Thanks for posting this. I know what mine will look like now. I also replaced my leaking steering gear box along with my power steering pump, the lines and the rag joint. I just need to paint everything and then my lift goes on. Glad I went with the steering arm. Looks like the perfect solution.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:56 AM   #25
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Thanks for posting this. I know what mine will look like now. I also replaced my leaking steering gear box along with my power steering pump, the lines and the rag joint. I just need to paint everything and then my lift goes on. Glad I went with the steering arm. Looks like the perfect solution.
The raised arm is definitely the best option here.