The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > Vendors Marketplace

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #51
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: D52 Caliper Rear Disc Brake Brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Yeah I've found similar ones from the Savanaha vans. The only problem with putting say a 13" rotor on the back is that you really should run one on the front as big or bigger. That is where it becomes a little more involved and $$. Those Tahoe rotors are really deep.....about 1/2" deeper than the Astro rotors.
The matched front rotors on the Tahoe are only 12.0" diameter. I wonder why they are not bigger than the rear or at least the same size?

Turns out the rotors on the front of the 03 Tahoe are the exact same ones on the Astro van of the same year. Makes them a whole lot more common and easier to find.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars

Last edited by 68 TT; 07-30-2010 at 11:26 AM.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #52
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yeah, after I posted that, I looked up the front rotors for the Express/Savanah vans and they use a 12" rotor on the front also. That doesn't make much sense regarding what I know about brake systems. I wonder if the ABS helps compensate for the larger rear rotor? If you were to put together a non ABS system like this, you would have to seriously meter down the rear line pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
The matched front rotors on the Tahoe are only 12.0" diameter. I wonder why they are not bigger than the rear or at lest the same size?

Turns out the rotors on the front of the 03 Tahoe are the exact same ones on the Astro van of the same year. Makes them a whole lot more common and easier to find.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #53
texastrendz

capt. where do i need to send the money. paypal info.
texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:54 AM   #54
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

PM sent.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrendz View Post
capt. where do i need to send the money. paypal info.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #55
shenk10

So just for some more clarification, if I wanted to use the Wilwood calipers, I would need to get the rear calipers that are made for the 1.28" thickness rotors? On Jegs, I believe they are this part number.... 950-120-10938-RD. Is that correct? Thanks for all the help.

Jordan
shenk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #56
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes that is correct. You will need calipers for the thick rotors (1.24-1.28") And yes that is the correct part number for the Wilwood dual 1.250 piston D52 calipers. Those are the ones you would want to run on the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenk10 View Post
So just for some more clarification, if I wanted to use the Wilwood calipers, I would need to get the rear calipers that are made for the 1.28" thickness rotors? On Jegs, I believe they are this part number.... 950-120-10938-RD. Is that correct? Thanks for all the help.

Jordan
Old 08-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #57
joeelutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
There is something close that can work with the D52 calipers as well as any other caliper designed for 1.25" thick rotors like the LS1 Camaro & C4/C5 Vette PBR front calipers. The 65-82 Corvette rear rotors are 11.75x1.25 and use a drum brake parking brake inside the rotors. Only down side is they are 5 on 4-3/4" bolt pattern but they can be drilled for a second 5 on 5 pattern to work on our trucks.

They fit with 15" rally wheels and you can get all the e-brake parts made from stainless steel from the Vette restoration places pretty cheap.

You can get the backing plate parts from a JL-8 optioned 4-wheel disc 69 Camaro application that fit up easier to a straight rear axle vs. the Vette parts designed for their IRS but the parts are pretty pricey. I have been tinkering around with some inexpensive ways of using the parking brake parts with a fabricated backing plate for the standard rear axle but haven't had the time to test it out and I don't have all the e-brake parts to make it functional.

NAPA sells the American made Vette rotors for under $40 too.
Interesting.
Great info. Thanks.
joeelutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #58
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

I am going to get wilwood D52 calipers front and back. I have stock 5 lug 72 frontend brakes and have captinfabs bracket and astro rotors in the back. What size calipers (pistons)should I use on front and back. part numbers would help. Thanks, dont want to make an expensive mistake.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:15 AM   #59
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Wilwood recommends to run the dual 2" diameter pistons on the front, and the dual 1.250 diameter pistons on the rear. Both will be for the 1.28" thick rotors. You want your front to do the majority of the braking. Of course you can tune this to your liking with an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lts70 View Post
I am going to get wilwood D52 calipers front and back. I have stock 5 lug 72 frontend brakes and have captinfabs bracket and astro rotors in the back. What size calipers (pistons)should I use on front and back. part numbers would help. Thanks, dont want to make an expensive mistake.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #60
n2billet
Village Idiot....

Received by brackets yesterday for the D52 setup and they are a work of art !
Thanks Again!

-67 SWB Custom Porterbuilt Front and rear 20/22's Hazel Sold
-71 StepSide Porterbuilt Stage 2 with 20/22's Stella Mae Sold
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #61
texastrendz

captain, do you have all the components now to ship the d52 kit?
do you have to machine the axle on your kit?
going to order when you have all the components ready, thanks daniel.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #62
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes I do have more parts now, I got them on Tuesday. No there is no machining required on this conversion. I could have a set ready to ship on Tuesday. Let me know.

Quote:
captain, do you have all the components now to ship the d52 kit?
do you have to machine the axle on your kit?
going to order when you have all the components ready, thanks daniel.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:55 AM   #63
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

I just got my Wilwood D52 calipers from CPP. They have them on eBay for $303 for a set and they throw in stainless steel brake hoses, clips, and banjo bolts for free. I even talked them into a free tee shirt. The stainless lines have a price sticker of $50 for a pair and the shirt had a sticker for $13. I have not found the calipers cheaper anywhere else let alone another $113 of free extras (I got front and back sets). The front 2” calipers, stainless steel brake lines, and shirt showed up yesterday. The rear 1.25” calipers are on backorder and should ship in the next week or so. The $303 price is good Friday through Sunday on eBay and during the week it bumps up to $319 (see link below). I just called them up on a week day and they hooked me up with the weekend price without having to go through eBay. I have always received great service from CPP, in the past I got my drop kit and they were very helpful.

These things look sweet. Now I wish I would have had captfab powder coat my brackets. Originally I was going to use GM calipers and just planed on using rattle-can hi temp paint on everything, but after thinking about it, and looking at the pictures of the wildwood calipers decided to go the expensive route.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Attached Images

Last edited by lts70; 08-31-2010 at 03:48 PM.
lts70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:31 PM   #64
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Wow that is a good deal. I wonder how long they are going to run that offer?

Post up some pics when you get yours installed Lane.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:57 PM   #65
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

I will take lots of pictures and post them up for sure. I think I will do the fronts soon as that will take no time at all. The backs will have to wait till I get a weekend off of work. With the truck being my daily driver it makes it hard to find time to do projects that take much more than an hour or so or that might put her out of commision when I will need to drive to work the next day. Good thing I built this beast in highschool when I had time on my side.

John, I want to put a manual line lock on my front brake system, do you have any sources or info that might help me accomplish this? I think it would be a good aditition to anyone doing these wilwoods on all four corners with not having a parking brake anymore.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:36 AM   #66
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The only one that I know of is the Mico Lock. Mico makes a few different ones, some of which become spendy. This is the one I've seen before on medium duty trucks and some equipment before.

http://www.awdirect.com/lever-lock-m...ake-locks-pto/

Keep in mind that these are not intended to be used as a parking/e-brake. By law those have to be mechanically operated.. Of course that depends whether you have vehicle inspections in your area or not. With that said, many offroad guys use some sort of line locks when converting to 4 wheel discs. Most seem to have good luck with them.

If you Google 'Mico Lock' you will find a bit of info in addition to their website. If you have a Six States store close by, they may be able to get one for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lts70 View Post
I will take lots of pictures and post them up for sure. I think I will do the fronts soon as that will take no time at all. The backs will have to wait till I get a weekend off of work. With the truck being my daily driver it makes it hard to find time to do projects that take much more than an hour or so or that might put her out of commision when I will need to drive to work the next day. Good thing I built this beast in highschool when I had time on my side.

John, I want to put a manual line lock on my front brake system, do you have any sources or info that might help me accomplish this? I think it would be a good aditition to anyone doing these wilwoods on all four corners with not having a parking brake anymore.

Last edited by Captainfab; 09-01-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #67
mo

Hi Capt. Great work! I'm interested in doing the conversion and happen to have a 72 swb 4x4. The same brackets should work. If so, please contact me to begin the ordering process. thanks in advance.

Mo
mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #68
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

PM sent......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo View Post
Hi Capt. Great work! I'm interested in doing the conversion and happen to have a 72 swb 4x4. The same brackets should work. If so, please contact me to begin the ordering process. thanks in advance.

Mo
Old 10-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #69
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Captain - I have a 72 K5 Blazer and want to convert to rear disc AND 8 lug at the same time.... what do you think??

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #70
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That's not a problem, it is done all the time. Are you going with a Dana 60 or a FF14 bolt in the rear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
Captain - I have a 72 K5 Blazer and want to convert to rear disc AND 8 lug at the same time.... what do you think??
Old 10-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #71
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

I was thinking of keeping the factory 12 bolt and just upgrading the actual axles....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:57 AM   #72
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That will be waaaaaay more work and $$ than it is worth. Why do you want to convert to a 8 lug pattern if you don't want to upgrade the complete differential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
I was thinking of keeping the factory 12 bolt and just upgrading the actual axles....
Old 10-09-2010, 12:34 AM   #73
texastrendz

i am finally ready to order the rear d52 kit, do you have all the components ready to ship for the 12 bolt chevy?
Old 10-09-2010, 01:08 AM   #74
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes I have the parts.

Quote:
i am finally ready to order the rear d52 kit, do you have all the components ready to ship for the 12 bolt chevy?
Old 10-09-2010, 01:16 AM   #75
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

subscribed for future reference!

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote