The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2002, 03:58 AM   #1
67cst
i love summertime

Question instrument panel removal

i searched for the step by step process on removing the instrument panel around the gauges but couldnt come up with anything, does anyone have a link or could someone please tell me what i need to do, i took all the screws out and the clips behind the gauges but up op around the wiper, headlight, and choke there is somethin i cant figure out, how do i disconnect it? thanks a lot in advance guys

Derek

GLOVE BOX LIGHTS FORSALE, click link for info

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=273724
67cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 04:37 AM   #2
BUXMAN66
go bucks!

unscrew the bezel on both the wipers switch and the headlight switch.wiper knob should have a set screw on base of knob to remove from the shaft. the headlight knob/shaft comes out of the switch assembly by reaching up under your dash to the switch itself,feeling w/ your hands you'll notice a small button on the top of the switch assembly.pull your headlight knob out to the parking lights indentation and as you depress the button on the headlight switch assembly, pull the knob w/ the shaft out of the switch .this gives you access to the whole instrument panel assembly coming out of the dash.don't forget to unplug your dash by squeezing or pinching the ends together it will come right out.it's not necessary to drop your steering columnbut i've heard of some guy's doing this.i think it just makes something else you have to put back together ,imo. instrument panel itself is not really hard to figure out,you'll get it!good luck,let us know how it comes out. btw..............,gmcpauls has a really good tech tips page if you gonna attempt to change over from idiot light dash to instrumentation.you need to reconfigure the plug harness to accept the new guages .take time to read his directions carefully!
BUXMAN66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 07:36 AM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Undoing dash

I have owned this truck since 1986 and have had the dash out quite a few times, and never been able to get it out without droping the steering colunm. I even have a tilt wheel.

1. Take screws out of dash.
2. Take column loose.
3. Take oil line loose, if so equipped.
4. Take ground wire loose. should be on left side of panel.
5. Take pigtail loose.
6. Take speedometer cable loose.
7. Take tach wires loose. if so equipped
8. You have to unscrew the backing washers for the headlights,
wipers, and choke if you have theses.

I think this is all of the connections you have to undo. Hope this helps.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 10:35 AM   #4
Primered_69

Be sure to push the release button onthe headlight switch.

A couple of weeks ago I swapped the bezel and did not know this. Needless to say I know am buying a headlight switch because brute strength is sometimes not best.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:12 PM   #5
Ackattack

heres a tip for you...don't start the truck without the oil pressure liine hooked up (assuming you have a mechanical oil pressure guage) I did that once, made a mess...oops

I haven't had to drop my steering column either. I suggest that you unhook your battery, cause when you pull it out it's pretty easy to bump the volt meter on the side of the metal dash and it will fry the circuit.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 07:57 PM   #6
67cst
i love summertime

what about the choke switch guys?

thanks for the info so far

GLOVE BOX LIGHTS FORSALE, click link for info

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=273724
67cst is offline   Reply With Quote