The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
NLR

front and rear "axle"

My first post...tadaa Who makes the BEST ifs-frontclip for a 1949 3100 pu. Thats going to be a daily driver, and what rear axle to use ? I am going to ride a tpi 350 and a 700 transm. The swede
NLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
vjjack04

Re: front and rear "axle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLR View Post
My first post...tadaa Who makes the BEST ifs-frontclip for a 1949 3100 pu. Thats going to be a daily driver, and what rear axle to use ? I am going to ride a tpi 350 and a 700 transm. The swede
Nobody answered so far? There are many IFS, I just had one put on my 55 chevy from Scott's Hot Rods and I am impressed with it. Although I have not seen them all. Several folks seem to make good ones. Also you can get a good deal from Scotts by being a forum member...Do a search and talk to Justin. Also do a search on this forum for IFS and you will get good info.
vjjack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
vjjack04

See below:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=420860
Old 10-23-2010, 01:21 AM   #4
bobinbc

Hi Swede
Welcome to the forum from Canada!

I vote for the Scott's IFS as well, I think it's the best I've seen. I don't like mustang 2 kits on these trucks but some people do. For the rear axle I prefer early 70's Nova up to 1979 or 70-81 Camaro/Firebird which are a little bit wider. These are 8.5" ring gear which is quite strong and quite common (cheap)

Can you post some pictures of your truck?

Bob

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/

Last edited by bobinbc; 10-23-2010 at 02:27 AM. Reason: year
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
NLR

Thumbs up Re: front and rear "axle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjack04 View Post
Nobody answered so far? There are many IFS, I just had one put on my 55 chevy from Scott's Hot Rods and I am impressed with it. Although I have not seen them all. Several folks seem to make good ones. Also you can get a good deal from Scotts by being a forum member...Do a search and talk to Justin. Also do a search on this forum for IFS and you will get good info.
Hi ! Looked at his "site" and i will contact him !! Nice -55 you got there !!!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
NLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinbc View Post
Hi Swede
Welcome to the forum from Canada!

I vote for the Scott's IFS as well, I think it's the best I've seen. I don't like mustang 2 kits on these trucks but some people do. For the rear axle I prefer early 70's Nova up to 1979 or 70-81 Camaro/Firebird which are a little bit wider. These are 8.5" ring gear which is quite strong and quite common (cheap)

Can you post some pictures of your truck?

Bob
Thanks !! Will contact Scott's. Do the Nova and Camaro axle have the same 8.5" ring gear ?? And do you know how much wider the Camaroaxle are ?? Yeah i will take som pics of my truck .. (I bought it 2 weeks ago ,picked it up this friday..its a stocker ......NOW I just got to get it approved for Swedish traffic, its imported from the US... Then after its approved i can start the build..

Last edited by NLR; 10-23-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
bobinbc

Nova 60.25 total width , 70-81 Camaro 62.50 after 1972 up to 81 all are 8.5" Nova & Camaro

Here's a link to some rearend sizes http://www.carnut.com/specs/rear.html

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/

Last edited by bobinbc; 10-24-2010 at 01:57 AM.
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
NLR

Now i found a late-60s GM B-body (el-camino ) axle with a 3.36 gear ratio and a lim.slip diff ..I think that will be just fine after a little work !!!
Old 12-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
NLR

Here it is !! My -49 on its last journey as a beaten stocker !
Old 12-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #10
vjjack04

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLR View Post
Here it is !! My -49 on its last journey as a beaten stocker !YouTube - Cheva 49
Nice! I'm interested in seeing what you do with it. I took a break on mine for the holidays...had to fly to Spokane WA (USA) and now have to "decompress". I will hit my project hard, early in the new year....Did you get the Scotts IFS?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-28-2010, 12:46 AM   #11
Tchia65

I'm using a No Limit wide ride IFS and a rearend out of a Explorer. I was impressed with the IFS I got, and I also don't like Mustang II based units which mine is not. No Limit are also forum vendors.
1972 Malibu wagon
Tchia65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
vjjack04

Tchia65, the No Limit stuff looks really good as does the Scotts (and some others). Just a point though, the IFS I have only shares the spindles from a MS II. The rest is engineered via Scotts, it is not normall MS II track width. I noticed that the No Limit stuff uses a 2nd Gen Camaro spindle. Both use a later model Cougar rack. So really this is one's preference regarding which comany(s) to use. Should work out good either way.

Last edited by vjjack04; 12-28-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:47 AM   #13
Tchia65

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjack04 View Post
Tchia65, the No Limit stuff looks really good as does the Scotts (and some others). Just a point though, the IFS I have only shares the spindles from a MS II. The rest is engineered via Scotts, it is not normall MS II track width. I noticed that the No Limit stuff uses a 2nd Gen Camaro spindle. Both use a later model Cougar rack. So really this is one's preference regarding which comany(s) to use. Should work out good either way.
I wasn't saying yours was a MII, just stating my distain for the majority of the IFS kits out there that are. I agree, it is completely personal preference. Like Miller or Lincoln for welders.
1972 Malibu wagon
Tchia65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #14
blu52

I recently purchased a Flat out engineering corvette kit for both the front and rear of my 52. I like that its all chevy (again personal choice).
blu52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #15
NLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu52 View Post
I recently purchased a Flat out engineering corvette kit for both the front and rear of my 52. I like that its all chevy (again personal choice).
I really like the idea of driving with all GM parts, I am probably only going with the frontend . What year do you use ??? Have you started working on the modifications ?? Please keep me updated ( i have allready started to look after a frontend )
Old 01-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #16
cajundragger

Scotts is just as much MMII as any of the other companies are.

I had/am having a bad experience with my scotts and can't wait for the day I rebuild all the control arms.

I've had a great experience with Heidts though on another build.

for a rear end I think a generic 10 bolt with 3.73 gears would be nice.

Last edited by cajundragger; 01-06-2011 at 06:34 PM.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #17
tech@scottshotrods

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajundragger View Post
Scotts is just as much MMII as any of the other companies are.

I had/am having a bad experience with my scotts and can't wait for the day I rebuild all the control arms.

I've had a great experience with Heidts though on another build.
Ok I am done standing on the side lines with you. We have offered to rectify any issue you may or may not have, and the only issues you had brought to our attention is an issue with the rod end bushings wearing prematurely which may have been due to you over torquing them and also a ball joint issue that we where willing to send you.
You suggested to us that you had replace them with energy suspension bushings which are the same bushings we use. You claim how well your truck handles but on the other hand you bad mouth us any chance you get. Which is it?
Since I have joined Scotts I have seen Justin rectify any problem that has come about. I also have aquired a few large accounts that where once accounts of other front end manufactures and praise us on our quality and craftsmanship compared to others and have told us there horror stories with the other companies...
So with pro builders praising us and my own personal appriciation for the product I find it funny that you constantly bad mouth not only us, but you also like to get in to pissing matches with other credible vendors on the site...
If you are so unhappy with that front end cut it off send it in and We will buy you that heidts front end that you want so badly...
tech@scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #18
cajundragger

The OP asked for opinion.

I gave opinion based on what I have experience with. I've heard NOLIMIT and Fatman is great, have I used any of their products? no, so I dont comment on their product.

I've used your front end, and hedits. So I compare your front end to heidts and I choose heidts...which is my opnion, again based on the experince I have.

Im not going to create a pissing match with you like your asking me to because I'd really love to counter your post, but I'll let you have this one. I will make a whole new thread if you'd like about my whole scotts experience and what mod's I've done to my front end to make it work like it does. But I'd probably get banned again in the process.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #19
troy54gmc

Wow..... i love when someone stands behind their product... Kudos
troy54gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #20
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

This is getting ridiculous. Is this what this site has come to? Bashing vendors and products that people are using on their cars. If there are hundreds of Scott's IFS out there and one person had a bad experience that does not make the product bad.lol That just makes that one persons experience bad and all Scott's can do is try to make it right and he says he has. There are a lot of IFS manufacturers out there that make really nice products. Scott's, No Limit, Art Morrison, Jim Meyer, Heidts, and TCI to name a few. I have not install a Scott's unit but I know people who have them and love them and would not use anything else, but I know people who say that about some of the other companies I mentioned. So can we move on and give people the info they need to make an informed decision without the bashing. I thought that was what this site was about.

Last edited by Kabwe; 01-06-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #21
tech@scottshotrods

I'm not asking for a pissing match but I think you are stepping on a lot of peoples toes that you dont need to be. If you have an issue with the front end let us help or rectify the problem... Like I mentioned I would not have left Air Ride for a company i didn't believe in... After 12 years in the after market suspension Industry you are praising a couple of the most infamous companies (excluding no limit) out there for having issues odd isn't it... I am no rookie and I hear and see alot and I promise, you are one of very few that have had an issue and the others have allowed us to correct the problems. We are human We are not perfect but We will address and correct to the best of Our abilities any issue no matter how long ago it was, period!

Last edited by tech@scottshotrods; 01-06-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #22
Spackle100

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajundragger View Post
The OP asked for opinion.
Nah, bro. He asked what was the best, not what was the worst.
Spackle100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #23
tech@scottshotrods

sorry for the thread high jack but I wanted to clear up CDs post... We at Scotts take alot of pride in our products and will always stand behind them 100% no matter how long ago it was...
Old 01-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #24
solidaxel

In my opinion WE like our Scott's IFS
Attached Images

53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #25
cajundragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackle100 View Post
Nah, bro. He asked what was the best, not what was the worst.
which is an opinion right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
So can we move on and give people the info they need to make an informed decision without the bashing. I thought that was what this site was about.
completely agree.

I had a problem with scotts, many didnt.

I have had no problems with hedits, Scott's says they've been known for problems.

so in the end take all the advise you can muster, good and bad, and make an informed decision.