The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
Jay2Cor517

LS Swap: Chevy Express 5.3L

I'm looking at doing an LS swap for my '86 GMC. I've found a 2005 Chevy Express van with a 5.3L engine and 4L60E tranny that I could get for a pretty decent price but would have to pull myself. However, I've been unable to find much (useful) info on people pulling LS motors / trannies from vans and dropping into squares. Any thoughts?
Old 05-24-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: LS Swap: Chevy Express 5.3L

There's several here that have used van donors..as far as basic engine and trans, its the same as in a pickup..there may be some minor differences but its still the same..make sure you get comp, wiring if your gonna use factory harness, gas pedal if dbw, maf,,, the more engine related stuff you can get the better..

Last edited by mongocanfly; 05-24-2017 at 06:17 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
cooperhw

I've put ls motors in a few different ones. Most recently dropped one in my 79
C10. Lots of kits out there.
I prefer the Dirty Dingo kit that relocates the AC unit up high and puts the alt. over on the drivers side. They also sell great motor mounts that are adjustable allowing you to slide forward or back about 3 inches.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
Nick_R_23

Nothing wrong with using a van as a donor for the engine, but as far as harnesses and DBW or cable throttle bodies, you can run into gray areas there.

The issues you'll run into is things are slightly different than in the pickups. Power steering pump, oil dipstick, trans dipstick, are all extended for use in the van, and would have to be changed out to use in a truck. Most of the LS engines went over to "Gen IV" in 04/05, but many of the vans carried over the Gen III internals into early 2007. This means you will still have 24X crank and rear placed cam sensor, but if the van uses DBW, the engine will use the Gen IV pedal, TAC module, and blue/green connectored ECM. This makes things a little difficult if you are using DBW. Cable driven isn't as big of a deal, but just something you should be aware of. The simplest way would be to use a Painless or similar harness.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #5
Jay2Cor517

Thanks for the help everybody. I guess I will need to research this further. It's tempting but I want to be able to find the "best" donor vehicle possible for the "easiest" swap--meaning, getting the most usable parts at one time that will cut down on time, cost and frustration (yeah, right)
Old 05-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
Jstock85

If its a good price and you like it go for it. my only advice is get all the parts you can. especially the harness. the aftermarket is loaded with parts you be able to use. as well as this forum. I've bought parts from guys on here so you'll have plenty options and help!
Jstock85 is offline   Reply With Quote