The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
derekbantz

cab fab help in indiana

I just recently purchased a 72 c10 Cheyenne and although I've been scouring this site and it's wealth of knowledge, I don't think I'm ready to take on the cab work. Does anyone know any good fab people around Indiana? I am looking to have the floor replaced, along with cab corners, rockers, mounts, and supports.
derekbantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
GMCPaul

Re: cab fab help in indiana

Stop into a few of the local body shops around the Muncie/Anderson area and talk to the owners to see the type of work they do and ask for reference's for previous restoration work. Speaking with a few prior customers will quickly give you knowledge on how the shop performs. There's a great body shop at the northwest side of Lucas Oil race way in Brownsburg (Former IRP track ) I'll try to find their name & # in my book if your interested email me @
robbinspd1199@yahoo.com
If you find that the costs are a lot higher than you expected for your cab repairs to your cab I do have a 2 cabs that only need final prep work & paint to finish, or ( 3-4 cabs ) needing only rockers or cab corners. I try to avoid any that need the structural supports.
Paul ( Owner ) @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
vidman

It is hard to find a good shop that will do good resto work at a decent rate. Most shops will make their living doing Insurance work. I have found if you go to the shows and talk with people,they will know someone that is good at old resto work. A good word of mouth is their best friend
Old 07-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
derekbantz

Ok! Thanks for the help guys. I'm still learning the ropes and the info is appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Ask around and talk to body shops as GMCPaul said. Occasionally you will find a shop that does restorations. Be prepared to pay big bucks though. If it's a good shop they have to pay their help good money to keep them.

We have a couple in our area and about 10 years ago I spoke with one of the owners. He said he doesn't give estimates. They only work by the hour at (back then) $50 but they do good work.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
derekbantz

I know it's hard to guess but any ballpark on hours expected for the repairs I mentioned above.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekbantz View Post
I know it's hard to guess but any ballpark on hours expected for the repairs I mentioned above.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hard to even give a ballpark figure. It would be different for everyone since expertise level is different. Also, there's no telling what else may need to be repaired once you tear into it. That's why the restoration shop owner I spoke with told me he works by the hour.

If you're truck is at all drivable, take it to a shop and let them give you an estimate.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote