The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
bigolebuford

Steering column swap...

Hi everyone!!! This is my first time posting on a forum like this so I apologize if im not doing it right... I have a 67 C10 with a factory auto column... I think the blinker switch and hazard switch are bad... The steering wheel bolts have been broken off in the column... So my question is this... Can I swap in a nice tilt column from an 80's Chevy??? How about a 90's Chevy column??? Also can I use a 70's to 80's Camaro column??? Also I have never dealt with a column... Can anyone send pictures as to what all I need to get??? I mean are there moving parts at the bottom that I need to get??? Thanks in advance guys!!!
bigolebuford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #2
casper71

Re: Steering column swap...

You can use any of those year columns. I have them in my trucks, you need to get creative with the dash a little and with the column mount. The dimmer switch on column will need to be moved up. I prefer the key on column and dimmer. It is an option if you can not find a used one.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
jim ellis

you can also find a factory tilt, or a chevy van from the same era with a tilt will work and you still maintain all the original hookups and will look stock.

jim e
jim ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:08 PM   #4
leftybass209

The 73+ truck column is a larger diameter at the gauge panel. Same with pretty much every 70+ gm vehicle. Also the key is on the column instead of the dash so you'd have to consider which you'd want to use and shave the other. Decide your budget because aesthetically the correct column fits better and doesn't require modifications.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:06 AM   #5
1971_CST_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
The 73+ truck column is a larger diameter at the gauge panel. Same with pretty much every 70+ gm vehicle. Also the key is on the column instead of the dash so you'd have to consider which you'd want to use and shave the other. Decide your budget because aesthetically the correct column fits better and doesn't require modifications.
I am not understanding that.. every column after 73 is larger and keys are in the column....
Mine is out of a Vandura Van and has the small neck and NO keys in the column and is definately newer than 73. fits and works perfect.

Darren.
1970 El Camino SS
1971_CST_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:40 AM   #6
FirstOwner69

First... welcome to the forum!!!

Tilt columns from GM vans into the early 80s and van based motorhomes (Class C) for the same period are the same, look identical to truck tilts once installed and fit our trucks with fairly easy modifications. The biggest difference is that the shaft is longer so most people collapse the intermediate shaft connecting the column to the steering gear to compensate. However, I don't think 1967 trucks such as yours had collapsible intermediate shafts, so you would probably need to purchase one from a 68-72 (can be from a truck with or without tilt). Many Class A motorhomes into the 80s also had columns like the truck tilts with the same length shafts as the truck tilts but the shifter arm has a bend in it which I don't think is a big deal. Another concern relates to the location of the neutral safety switch (NSS) on the van and motorhome tilts which may require its relocation. Cost wise the truck tilts are pretty pricey and rare due to demand. The van and motorhome tilts are quite a bit less. That is unless you can find a junkyard like the one near me that charges $50 for a column regardless of year or type. Below are a several threads that discuss the differences and modifications required.

How to convert a van tilt FAQ:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=147927

How to rebuild a tilt:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=329008

How to install:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=133937

Info on Class A motorhome tilt:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=134391

Virtually all other tilts had the key in the column, probably used different linkages, may be too fat and/or not the right length.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:18 AM   #7
leftybass209

Yeah, of course van and motor home columns are similar to the trucks. My statement said "pretty much" and you inserted the word "every" in place of. My statement was in reference to cars and trucks 73+ and I wasn't clear on that. Both of those need some work with the neutral safety switch to work in a truck. Firstowner69 3 plains the rest fairly well.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:42 PM   #8
jim ellis

the van tilt columns have a backup light neutral safety switch located on the column just before it goes through the firewall. If it doesn't have one purchase one and wire it up for both per your truck wiring diagram
jim e
jim ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #9
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
First... welcome to the forum!!!

Tilt columns from GM vans into the early 80s and van based motorhomes (Class C) for the same period are the same, look identical to truck tilts once installed and fit our trucks with fairly easy modifications. The biggest difference is that the shaft is longer so most people collapse the intermediate shaft connecting the column to the steering gear to compensate. However, I don't think 1967 trucks such as yours had collapsible intermediate shafts, so you would probably need to purchase one from a 68-72 (can be from a truck with or without tilt). Many Class A motorhomes into the 80s also had columns like the truck tilts with the same length shafts as the truck tilts but the shifter arm has a bend in it which I don't think is a big deal. Another concern relates to the location of the neutral safety switch (NSS) on the van and motorhome tilts which may require its relocation. Cost wise the truck tilts are pretty pricey and rare due to demand. The van and motorhome tilts are quite a bit less. That is unless you can find a junkyard like the one near me that charges $50 for a column regardless of year or type. Below are a several threads that discuss the differences and modifications required.

How to convert a van tilt FAQ:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=147927

How to rebuild a tilt:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=329008

How to install:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=133937

Info on Class A motorhome tilt:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=134391

Virtually all other tilts had the key in the column, probably used different linkages, may be too fat and/or not the right length.

'67's DO have the collapsible column. I collapsed mine for some extra room.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #10
bigolebuford

I'm sorry for the late reply, but thanks everyone!!! Thank you so much!!!
bigolebuford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #11
Scottcoda

I have searched a lot on the forums for doing a tilt conversion and all I find is the how to on the van swap. But I found a tilt from a 72 c10 for 200 bucks and I want to put it in my 68 c20.. Would this be a direct swap???
Old 04-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #12
hugger6933

Yes it is a bolt-in deal with no mods needed. 69 was the first year for the tilt to the best I can tell and it will fit all of the 67-72's as they were all the same. The only possible thing you may need the intermediate shaft from the column that was out of the later truck. When I put a tilt in my 68 GMC, I had to use a later model intermediate shaft. That shaft for those who don't know is the one between the end of the column that hooked to the steering box. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:03 PM   #13
Auctioneerhere

I have a column from a 1982 Chevrolet motorhome.

I took off the intermediate shaft, the shaft with the splines is 3/4 of an inch. I am having a heck of a time counting the splines with older eyes.

Does anyone know offhand? Thanks
Auctioneerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:15 PM   #14
Auctioneerhere

I have a column from a 1982 Chevrolet motorhome.

I took off the intermediate shaft, the shaft with the splines is 3/4 of an inch. I am having a heck of a time counting the splines with older eyes.

Does anyone know offhand? Thanks
Auctioneerhere is offline   Reply With Quote