The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
ERASER5

Dove Tail or No?

I am looking to buy a utility trailer. I need about 6" X 10" wood bed, ramp gate, A frame tongue. I have looked for a few years now sorting what I want vs. what I need.

At the moment I am stuck on two trailers. Same sales lot, same price. 6'4" X 12'. One is a flat bed and the other has a 2' dove tail. Is a dove tail that important? Does the dove tail make for problems loading the 2nd mower that stays on the dove tail? Should I skip it and just go with the flat bed?

I am tired of borrowing a trailer and the guy that owned the tilt back that used to borrow died. ( I will not buy a tilt back.) His son would let me use it, if I could find him home. I just need to buy one in the next week or so. I have about 15 different trailers sales ads save. Distance, price, size are all being considered. So back to dove tail or no?
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:14 PM   #2

Re: Dove Tail or No?

Like this http://www.bramleysautosales.com/sin...-trailers.html
It depends on the loading angles of the tow unit and the ground when loading/unloading, I try to use as level as I can for loading.
Dove tail is nicer than the flat deck with ramps. The 12 foot will handle most riding mowers front to back. Check the web site for the tractor size or measure your tractors to be sure.

Last edited by 463; 04-06-2015 at 01:22 PM.
463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
ERASER5

Yes. The first two trailer listed there are exactly what I am between. I know the what they do. I have been using tilt backs for 30 years because I did not have my own. No more tilt backs for me.

So who likes dove tails and who doesn't? I am not loading cars, just mowers and stuff.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
sboris

Ive never used a dove tail, but can see where if would be useful. Mine is 6x12 with the ramp on the back, but larger.. At least 36". Easy loading.
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:30 PM   #5
ERASER5

I wondering if the dove tail will scrape a lot.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #6
rambler
MOVE OVER

so is one 12' and one 12' plus a 2' dovetail for same price ? there would be no question I would get the dovetail. I've borrowed most types,, and like dovetail a little better for loading, if you get the extra 2 feet.. but if the 2' is with dovetail for the 12'.. get the flat..
Old 04-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #7
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I like the dove tail because it sounds a lot sexier to say? Say it with me... "Dove.... Tail...."

In all seriousness...

I would borrow the friends trailer one last time. Load up your stuff. Drive to trailer place. Unload trailer, then hook up to each one by one and load them. See which you like the best. If the trailer place won't let you do that... leave and find one that will.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #8

One more option is solid axel spring or torque flex . here is a link http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17896
Old 04-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Go with the flat deck and have a deck as big as the trailer. Those things sit low. I've never had an issue loading anything onto my 10' utility trailer. I use it for a little bit of everything. I have never had a problem loading or unloading my slammed Harley Softail

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-07-2015 at 06:44 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #10
truckster

I would prefer the flat deck. You can always extend the gate if you need a better angle for loading. But I use my trailer for a variety of things, like building materials and steel stock. If yours is dedicated to mowers and you won't be using it for anything else, that might make a difference.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:12 PM   #11
kowboy63

Get the flat deck. I have a 6' 6" x 12 that has a 6' tail gait/ramp that I haul my Honda Pioneer, 4 wheeler & lawnmower on & I have a 7' 6" x 16' with a 2' dove tail that I haul my tractor on, the dove tail works great for the tractor. For a trailer no longer than 12', I wouldn't want the dove tail. I guess it comes down to what you're hauling,
kowboy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Dove Tail or No?

The only thing a dove tail has over a flat is loading & unloading. I haul golf carts all the time on my flat 18' trailer with ramp gate. Some of the non lifted carts are very close to scrubbing the floor when loading at sharp angles. If your loading lawn mowers it would be a better choice for the ramp if it's a dove tail. The angle of the ramp will catch the blades if the trailer isn't sitting just right. The dove will take this out of equation.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #13
ERASER5

Ok, so the flat deck is the winner here.

Yes 2 foot dove tail has only 10ft of flat deck. I noticed from pictures on several trailer sites that the dove tail type have a shorter gate than the flat bed. So the over all ramp angle is not much different, I just have less flat space.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:37 PM   #14
71swb4x4

I would do a flat deck but with a larger ramp. Do you have a link to the trailers you are looking at?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:07 AM   #15
ERASER5

I have more links than you can shake a stick at. I am in farm country. Trailer sales places are everywhere. Too bad that doesn't lower the price much.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:18 PM   #16
Livrat
Member #1049

I've had both and they each have challenges, In the end I sold my dove tail and went with a flat deck because I live in a hilly area and have had numerous instances where I could not back up into an area because the dove tail would bottom out, on the other hand a flat bed presents a challenge on the angle of the approach, upon loading sometimes a vehicle would bottom out necessitating jacking up the front to change the approach angle.

Ideally for me I would like to have an all aluminum elec/hydraulic tilt deck, but can not justify a $6000 trailer to use once in a while. So I stick with my flat deck.
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #17
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
I would do a flat deck but with a larger ramp. Do you have a link to the trailers you are looking at?
Do what he says. He knows what he's talking about and it sounds like you'll use it for the same purpose as him.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #18
ERASER5

Well, I pulled the trigger on Friday. I spent a bit more money, but I got a very nice trailer and did not have to drive 4 to 6 hours to get it. Or loose overtime.

Found a very good salesman in the next town over. He sold Liberty Trailers. I called several trailer sales lots and I seem to be bothering them asking for prices and other information not on their wed sites. It was like they did not want the sale. Ron Cameron was a real salesman. Happy to answer my questions and glad to give me extra info that I didn't know I needed. Happy to accommodate if I need a late pickup.

So I bought a 12' dove tail ramp gate trailer. This has a 4" channel frame. 3500# axels, set back jack, sealed lighting. All powder coated. So very nice. I added a spring set for the gate. Just unlatch, step out of the way and drop. No bang, in fact the new spring hold the gate too high right now. They should wear in.

So I am happy. Also the trailer brought home my new 60" Bad Boy zero turn mower. New toys! I still need a snow blower, but that can wait for a while.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #19
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
Well, I pulled the trigger on Friday. I spent a bit more money, but I got a very nice trailer and did not have to drive 4 to 6 hours to get it. Or loose overtime.

Found a very good salesman in the next town over. He sold Liberty Trailers. I called several trailer sales lots and I seem to be bothering them asking for prices and other information not on their wed sites. It was like they did not want the sale. Ron Cameron was a real salesman. Happy to answer my questions and glad to give me extra info that I didn't know I needed. Happy to accommodate if I need a late pickup.

So I bought a 12' dove tail ramp gate trailer. This has a 4" channel frame. 3500# axels, set back jack, sealed lighting. All powder coated. So very nice. I added a spring set for the gate. Just unlatch, step out of the way and drop. No bang, in fact the new spring hold the gate too high right now. They should wear in.

So I am happy. Also the trailer brought home my new 60" Bad Boy zero turn mower. New toys! I still need a snow blower, but that can wait for a while.

Bettin' you will like both the trailer AND the mower. I love my zero turn mower... Yup, the blower can wait for at least 7 months...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #20
ERASER5

Oh I do love the mower. I've watching them for sales for 3 years. They never go on sale, mostly because for the quality (welds, metal thickness, powder coating) you just can't go much cheaper. Stepping on the 60" deck does not budge the deck at all! Still there is that learning curve to driving it, but I'll get there. I am use to a joy stick ZTR. much different.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #21
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Dove Tail or No?

Quote:
Oh I do love the mower. I've watching them for sales for 3 years. They never go on sale, mostly because for the quality (welds, metal thickness, powder coating) you just can't go much cheaper. Stepping on the 60" deck does not budge the deck at all! Still there is that learning curve to driving it, but I'll get there. I am use to a joy stick ZTR. much different.
Looks like you went against what you wanted. I think you made the right choice though for what you wanted to do with it.
Quote:
ERASER5 Ok, so the flat deck is the winner here.

Yes 2 foot dove tail has only 10ft of flat deck. I noticed from pictures on several trailer sites that the dove tail type have a shorter gate than the flat bed. So the over all ramp angle is not much different, I just have less flat space.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #22
ERASER5

I took note of everyone's ideas including yours. Yes I did go against my original decision. I think you would too by just looking at the difference, at least looking at the Liberty 4" channel version. The trailer that I bought was way way better than the other that I looked at. I will try to post a picture or two. Like I said, I found a good salesman who knew his stock. The price difference was less than $250 dollars, so I upgraded. I plan on having this trailer a long time and I do not like buyers remorse. Been there, done that, found it bitter.

I took notice of torn ripped gate mesh right at the ramp angle on trailers on the road. My sale guy says that the blade spindles catch and tear the mesh. Oh, and my ramp gate is tube steel, not angle iron.

I also went against my better judgment and bought the ZTR. Oddly, my wife insisted. I've been trailing her for 28 years and it is finally paying off. (she thinks she has been training me) The ZT Elite is just below commercial grade and weights about 800#. 3/16" deck with 1/4" strap all the way around. Power deck lift, and a comfy seat. So no birthday presents for me, I'm set.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #23
sboris

Quote:

Your going to love that Bad Boy. They are Bad Ass!! Ive got an 07 60" with a 30 horse kohler. NO complaints. Tougher than nails, easy to work on.
What size engine does yours have?
Sounds like a nice trailer too. Congrats
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #24
sboris

Whoops... Re read, so did you take the Bad Boy back? ZTR is nice too. Understand the wife. Have an 89 snapper joystick my wife wont let me sell. .
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #25
ERASER5

You got it right. Bad Boy ZT Elite 60" 747cc Kohler 41.3 ft-lb @ 2400 rpm. Small engine no longer have HP ratings. Cubic Centimeters and torque ratings are the "in" ratings now.

The joy stick is on my church's Snapper. I maintain it. While I really like the joy stick control only Country Clipper makes them, and at nearly double the price tag of the Bad Boy. Soooo duel sticks it is!

As for easy to work on, you are right. I had to adjust the arm travel. Lift the seat and there it is. Adjustment bolt and locking nut. Easy peezy. No awkward position, no removing 27 items to get to it, out in the open.