The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2002, 12:03 AM   #1
goat455

Post Original Radio or aftermarket CD player?

Hello all,

I'm new to the Chevy world, much less the truck world so I'm hoping to get a little advice from the experts. I just bought a 72 Cheyenne LB that missing the radio. My question is should I keep the truck original and find an original radio or should I install a CD player with all the goodies? I know in the GTO world, cutting out the radio area is not wise, but for an original 72 Cheyenne, what would you guys recommend? I can't see myself installing an underdash CD as there is very little area to make it fit..Any adivse is appreciated? BTW, any Chevy truck clubs in the SF Bay Area out there?
goat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 12:08 AM   #2
Big69C20 Toy
Livin' it up.

Good to have you here man. Greatest board around. As far as the stereo, well i know some guys have mounted theirs under the dash and others used the glove box. Myself i got a 'classic' reproduction. Am/fm and cassete. it's low power output but i've got an amp etc. all the same. It fits in the factory setup but i know it's not stock. They're a li'l cheaper than cd players and no cutting required. As i'm sure many will say, it's yer truck, do what you want. If you want a restored 'show' vehicle or are very nostalgic then i'd say find a stock one or something like that. IF you want the tunes and cd capability then go fer it. Get an MP3 head deck if you do cut, no point in having anything less if you can burn cd's (225songs or so per cd). Alright i hope that helped some, if you need some ideas for a system, lemme know.
Good luck

------------------
69 Custom 20, 396BB,Longbed fleetside.
New Oak Bed With SS strips... damn nice.

Edelbrock performer RPM-O, Edelbrock 750Carb, Headers, HEI, 2 40" glasspacks.
Stereo: Classic-style tape deck/radio, 2 6x9 Cerwin Vega's in doors, 2 10" Neo subs under seats, 1 900 Watt amp.

SN= Ares220

Big69C20 Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 12:14 AM   #3
imdarren

I think the best setup is the factory radio in it's place. Buckets with a center console with the new CD player etc. inside the console. I would say don't cut the dash. But you asked for opinions, and thats mine. Many people on this board will say "its your truck, go ahead and cut it". Some day people will really wan't to start restoring these trucks to original, and they will be worth a lot if unmolested! Mark my words. Darren

1967 Chevy C10 LWB Rodstoration In Progress.
1972 K20 Cheyenne Super
imdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 12:44 AM   #4
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

cutting the dash is really a matter of personal preference, I cut mine, but didn't really care as i'm changing cabs anyway, this time around, I have a nice piece of polished wavy alluminum channel that I'm going to bolt on the bottom of the dash to put the cd player in and leave the original hooked up too.

------------------
Ol' Buck: '72 Chevy 1/2T 4x4 shortbox stepside 350/350auto on '84
ralleys and 31/10.5s

Angel girl: 67 Cutlass convertible
330, 3spd stick

Greener: 90 GMC Jimmy
350/auto
Chad Stephens
Orleans,NE

no name yet: 72 442 under serious construction

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 03:26 AM   #5
bigvinnie

I've got an aftermarket digital am/fm cassette deck in the stock dash opening, no cutting.... also have a cd changer under the bench seat... it's easy to change disk packs, even while driving, and there's a remote for changing disk/track, etc.

------------------
'72 short step, 350, 700R4, tilt, ps, pdb, a/c, lowered coils, etc., other work in progress... San Diego, CA
http://www.ixpres.com/vlusardi/chevtrk.htm

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 06:49 AM   #6
Huck

Talking

The original radios were OK but had mechanical tuners, volume controls etc. I have an AM/FM and it's marginal. If you like the look fine but for decent sound quality you got to step up. I would not cut the dash but either go with an aftermarket unit that is made to fit or stick in an original and find a spot for a newer unit: in the glove box, console, under seat. My .02~~~~~Huck

------------------
72 Cheyenne, 350, 5spd, LWB, Super trim.
71 GMC JIMMY 4X4 --needs stuff-!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 07:49 AM   #7
tom hand
CCRider

I have a custom autosounds am/fm/cd. The radio is made to fit the truck and fits the stock opening with no adapter plates. It looks like a pushbutton am radio when turned off but when you turn it on it is digital tuner. The 6 disc cd changer is mounted in my console and all the controls for it are on the radio. It also has preouts for amps pretty slick setup.

------------------
72 GMC Sierra SWB almost finished---- 84 Softail
Olive Branch MS

Old 04-26-2002, 01:05 PM   #8
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

If you don't want to cut the dash, get a radio delete plate to cover the hole and then put a CD player in a center console. That way theives will think that your too cheap for a CD player and you'll maintain your stock dash.

------------------
'69 K-5 Blazer - 350/TH350, 6" lift, 35" tires
Bothell, WA

Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 02:03 PM   #9
billogna

I agree w/ bouncytruck, except AM radios are way cheaper and more common than delete plates. I put in the AM radio and have a hidden tape player in a console, and I even hid my front speakers up under the dash, pointing downward 45 degrees for better sound. An amp and truck boxes fit under the seat after the wire that connects the two seat rails is removed. Looks all original, but really cranks.

------------------
'69 Chevy Custom/10 SB
'74 GMC Suburban 4x4
'66 Mustang Sprint
'77 Sportster
'84 Chev K20 350/4 spd
'91 GMC 1500 Suburban 4x4, 350/700R4
billogna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 05:33 PM   #10
JW

Different idea here. I agree with the other guys, do not cut up the dash.
I used an after market 160w am/fm,tape with externial CD plug-ins, thie radio fits the stock hole in the dash. Made fiber kick panels for two spearkers, placed two speakers under the bench seat. I wired the CD, audio and power, to a panel I made, in the middle, under side of the seat. Wires run down the firewall, under the carpet, to this panel. The panel has female plugs for audio and power.
I then purchased a portable CD/MP3 with skip control and a voltage converter from 12v to 4.5v, as per requirements for the CD.
I have a 72 with A/C, which means I only have 2/3 of my glove box space. I purchased a cab caddy, leather item that installs behind the bench seat,that has plenty of pockets in it for the CD player and CD's. A MP3 can store up to 160 songs (?) Converting all of my normal CD's into MP3's

This system works fantastic, ummmmm, when the engine is not running. With the engine running, driving around I can bairly here the music. Seems I put to much HP, with a radical cam and gear drive, headers, turbo mufflers, in my engine and the engine noise drowns out the music. LOL !!!!

------------------
72 Cheyenne Super, Fleetside, Shortbed,
Original Owner, Special Ordered
350ci/340hp, Auto Trans, 3:70 Posi, Tow Package
Northern Calif

350ci/340hp, Auto Trans, 3:70 Posi, Tow Package
Northern Calif

JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 07:20 PM   #11
goat455

I appreciate everyone's input on this. At first I said what the hell, it's my truck I'll cut out the radio area and install a CD. But after reading everyone's advise, I'm gonna go with original radio and a CD in the glove box. I also too have AC so I'm hoping to squeeze something into that confined space. Thanks again for the tip guys! Will
goat455 is offline   Reply With Quote