The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #1
Skymortar

Alignment help

Afternoon All.Im supposed to be getting my new floor in the next two weeks. My 70 has one torsion box in it.It was replaced a very long time ago and never finished.Right now I am trying to get the roof bolted down and doors hung to get it square before we cut her in half.Should I cut the existing rocker box out before I hang the doors?I have no idea if it was right when they welded it in.Or should I just button it up hang the doors and find out?I'm cutting it off regardless because I'm putting in a complete with braces front floor.Thanks,Jeremy
Skymortar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #2
Skymortar

Re: Alignment help

Anyone?
Old 02-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
pound41

I would leave it in for now so you have a little structure. The top is the biggest thing that will hold it all together My 1st 71 with the top on doors closed perfect.
Top off they hit and would bind. If you ever see Blazer doors and the top part of the doors on the inside are dented. Thats from people throwing a shoulder into them when they hung. Let me know how your floor pan install goes I am about to order mine
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:39 AM   #4
hemi43

It doesn't matter what sequence you take when cutting or tearing it apart. Where it's important is during the fabrication stage.
Mount your doors so they locate perfectly in relation to the windshield frame first.
Since you will have no support with the torque boxes/rockers installed, you can then twist the front section so that you have a nice gap to the quarter panel. Once you it where you want it, weld in reinforcements to keep everything aligned. Now you can start to weld in the torque boxes and rocker panels. Just remember to always check that the gaps remain the same. Once everything is welded in place you can remove the reinforcements. More than likely things will move a bit due to the stresses in the welds, but this can be straightened back out using a bit of force.
The final adjustments for a perfect gap is by the use of shims at the body mounts.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #5
Skymortar

Thanks guys.Ill keep you posted