The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
RSR-R

The search for a classic pickup......... in Holland

Hello, I’m Ron, petrolhead from Holland. I’m driving classic Alfa Romeo’s for 25 Years now. About 2 years ago I spotted the (maybe known) 1969 GMC from the DFW Speedshop in Texas. Then it began. I did a study about: shortbed, sidestep, lugs, drop spindles, rear axle flips, c notch kits, shims, 350’s TH350, TH400, TH700(R) etc etc. I found a lot of info on this forum, thanks for that.

his year I made the decision, there must be a truck / pickup one day, together with the 1968 Alfa Romeo. Before, here in Holland, only a volkswagen up or toyota aygo is still affordable or it’s only allowed to cycle, I want to drive an icon V8 once. it has to be a V8 classic pickup. The search has started, and I am actively trying to find a classic pickup You will understand that the choice in Holland with regard to classic pickups is fairly limited. A search is therefore also made for me in the United States.

The intention is to have the pickup in the Netherlands built entirely to my wishes. I would like a 1967 - 1972 GMC shortbed sidestep. A Chevrolet C10 shortbed sidestep is also great. I understand that the whole world wants a shortbed sidestep, so a fleetside shortbed is also a serious option. It must be a short bed, otherwise it won't fit in my garage. I want it in the garage, it feels like it rains here 300 days a year. The pickup must be protected completely against rust. It is a habit here to throw tons of salt on the road in the winter to prevent slippery conditions. And I want to use the pickup on a daily base throughout the year.

Until I have found a good project basis, I will read a lot of information and gather information here on the forum. I am open to tips and tricks and will certainly ask for feedback here when a project is started

In February I will be able to drive 2 potential pickups in Holland, 1 custom 1956 3100 and 1 standard 1969 C-10, both shortbed and sidestep. Keep you updated !

Ron
Old 01-26-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: The search for a classic pickup......... in Holland

Welcome aboard.
You are at the right place if you like trucks.
This is a great forum. With lots of information and knowledge.
Hope you find the Truck of your Dreams.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:30 PM   #3
flashed

Welcome , Im in to see your dream truck when you find it .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
RSR-R

I have to try it anyway: is anyone familiar with the current owner of this GMC?

I have several options here in Holland, but this is my ultimate truck. If it has disappeared from the face of the earth, I want a somewhat similar one, but I will try here first

Ron
Old 02-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

I know in some parts of europe laws are insanely strict.

But a rclb can be a good base since if your going custom it anyways. Then you can shorten the frame, and buy a repop stepsode bed.

I have done it to a couple of C20's, but I left them 8 lug for bigger brakes. All in i could build a decent reliable rcsb C20 for the cost of a basic rcsb C10 that still needs work.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #6
RSR-R

In Holland the laws are not so bad. I’m driving a 1968 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI, original a 1300 cc, now with 2.1cc Cosworth engine, lowered, race suspention, big brakes, etc. No problem to get insurance etc. I have learned my lessons in restoration and “sealing up”. I see here on the forum restorations that are really serious and of a high level. I also send an email or whatsapp to the builders of the GMC. You never know.

Ron
Old 02-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #7
Joe Pass

Welcome.....
Joe Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:29 AM   #8
RSR-R

I now have an overview of the costs of shipping a car to the Netherlands. I am actively looking for a good, rust-free pickup in the USA. like everybody else, I want a shortbed sidestep, but I also like a 1973 - 1979 shortbed fleetside Chevy / GMC.

Please let me know if you spot something interesting !

Ron

Last edited by RSR-R; 02-06-2020 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:15 AM   #9
olcarguy

Welcome to the forum....good luck with your search and I hope you find what you are looking for...Roy
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:24 AM   #10
RSR-R

I have created a facebook account, where I can find a huge stock of pickups for sale. It remains difficult to get a good impression of the car from the other side of the world. 8 questions about engine, automatic gearbox, rear axle etc. are answered with 1 yes or no. Does not want someone to waste his time, but I do not buy a 15-20k car if I have seen three photos. a project truck is also no problem, the car can be sprayed here. You may want to take a look. I am looking at a 1967 - 1972 C10 / C15 shortbed (sidebed or fleetside does not matter) and at a 1973-1980 shortbed fleetside.

Because it will be my daily car, I have a slight preference for a 1973-1980 truck. it is just a bit more comfortable and already has disc brakes and power steering. The two older C10s are equipped with an LS motor with corresponding automatic transmission. I like to read some tips and tricks!

Ron
Old 02-17-2020, 12:10 PM   #11
geezer#99

Did a search.
Lots of potential trucks in your area.

https://www.autoscout24.com/lst/chev...ody=4&atype=C&
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:00 PM   #12
RSR-R

Yes, the potential of shortbeds is limited. Most of the trucks overhere are in a bad state after couple of winters. The other thing is...... at your side you know how to create a real truck. I contacted a company who specialized in transporting cars from the USA. They give me an estimate of the costs. the costs are not that bad. I'm just trying to figure out what I can or can’t register here.

Ron
Old 04-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #13
RSR-R

Found one, wil take a couple of weeks to get it overhere.

Already spent ours on this forum to learn about the C10.

Ron