The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2020, 07:37 PM   #1
Gotenntitans

I am upset with Firestone

My daughter went to visit friends and is 100 miles away passing through Little Rock, Arkansas. She had a blowout in her car so she called her insurance company and we have free roadside assistance so her car was towed to the nearest tire replacement center. So the manager at the Firestone Auto Care place in Little Rock says he won't put the tire on until she pays upfront. She calls me to put the tire, $90.82, on my credit card because she doesn't have enough money to pay cash for it. Manager says "oh I can't accept payment over the phone."

I called Firestone HQ and they put me on hold, presumably to contact him I'm guessing, then the person there comes back on the line and says they cannot make him accept payment over the phone. I offered to buy it online or pay with PayPal and this guy still won't put her a new tire on. Luckily for her, she contacted a friend who drove for an hour to pay for the tire in cash. I am two hours away or I would have done it myself.

Bottom line with this rant is I am boycotting Firestone from now on! I had a set of Firestone Firehawks on a Camaro that I used to own and was always pleased with them. I actually need a new set of tires on my '98 F150 and was considering Firestone Destination tires, but not now!

Firestone Auto Care on Cantrell Road in Little Rock, Arkansas, is where we were not assisted in this unexpected somewhat of an emergency......until they were paid upfront. NOT a very nice way to treat a 20 year old young woman when she's in need of help. NO FIRESTONE FOR ME FROM NOW ON!

GTT
2003 Chevy Silverado
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #2
67C10Step

Re: I am upset with Firestone

Man, us Arkies need to swap phone numbers so we can help each other out! I’m less than an hour from there and was just kicking around the shop changing oil in stuff. I’d have been happy to go down and help out. Could have adjusted a managers attitude as well.
Sorry to hear it and I’d still take it up with Firestone. Although I must say Nissan North America never responded to me but I’ve also never owned another Nissan!
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:21 PM   #3
Sevens

I understand your frustration. That is a tough situation to be in...

I'm not trying to defend the manager, but I would guess that he has been burned before by someone making a payment over the phone and then disputing the charges... He is doing his job and protecting his company from fraud. It sucks that people do bad things and mess it up for everyone else.

Just my two cents...for what it's worth.

I'm glad someone was close enough to help out and get her back on the road!
Sevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:24 PM   #4
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
Man, us Arkies need to swap phone numbers so we can help each other out! I’m less than an hour from there and was just kicking around the shop changing oil in stuff. I’d have been happy to go down and help out. Could have adjusted a managers attitude as well.
Sorry to hear it and I’d still take it up with Firestone. Although I must say Nissan North America never responded to me but I’ve also never owned another Nissan!
Thanks, Man. I appreciate the offer.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 01-18-2020, 08:25 PM   #5
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post

I'm not trying to defend the manager, but I would guess that he has been burned before by someone making a payment over the phone and then disputing the charges... He is doing his job and protecting his company from fraud. It sucks that people do bad things and mess it up for everyone else.

I'm glad someone was close enough to help out and get her back on the road!
I am sure you are correct. Still gets me that he couldn't be agreeable this time.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 01-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #6
projectking

Sorry to hear about her trouble.

I had a Firestone rep replace all 4 of my Transforce AT’s because they dry rotted and wore out within a year...the second set he gave me were the regular Transforce HT’s? And also immediately dried out and wore fast...you’re not missing much! I’ve been happy with my Michelin’s ever since.
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:38 PM   #7
Getter-Done

The Firestone place near me has Terrible Reviews.
Here is two of them.

1st:
If I could rate this place zero I would. Biggest ripoff ever. They quoted me $1700 for the same job that Corner Garage in ------- Tn did for $540. This place is a total con job. They charged us $116 just to hook car up to computer to diagnose problem. This was AFTER we told them we were picking up the vehicle to take it to corner garage. I have never in my life been charged for the diagnosis. You know what's worse? The state of Tennessee has a contract with this place (State Troopers) so the taxpayers are being ripped off too. Shame! Shame!

2nd:

Hey, now they have 2 stars.... Was not a fan when this place was ---- Tire, and Firestone has not improved anything. Our Fleet management company sends us here when our Company Truck needs service or fixing. Well we saw that it had a bad anti-freeze leak near the firewall on top of the engine. Turns out the air intake was cracked. So i suppose that coolant runs around near the crack. Anyway, they take it upon themselves to do tons of other service items while they have the truck. Came away with $1700 bill. I am sure the Fleet service gave them the OK to do the other service, but I would not have. Anyway, the day after the truck is returned.... only cause we called them, they never called us. The truck is spitting and sputtering. Turns out a coil pack was bad. They had all the packs off, but did not bother to notice the leak had leaked into the spark plug hole. Leaving rust markings on the tip of the coil pack. Guess which one was bad.... I will be reporting them to our Fleet management company and asking for another place to take the truck next time.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:15 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post

As if people don't used fraudulent credit cards in person? All these mail order/online businesses that take credit card payments over the phone and a place can't take an order with a person standing there with an ID? It's done all the time. It's how business is done today

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:15 PM   #9
Boog
laying low

I really feel sorry for females and many males who get taken advantage of at auto repair facilities. My daughter is down in La and took her jacked up Avalanche in to get the front tires remounted. While there they broke 2 lug nuts and she was told her front cv joints were shot causing the tire alignment problem...
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:24 PM   #10
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
As if people don't used fraudulent credit cards in person? All these mail order/online businesses that take credit card payments over the phone and a place can't take an order with a person standing there with an ID? It's done all the time. It's how business is done today
That's what I was upset with this manager about. He had my daughter there with her Arkansas drivers liscense. He obviously could see that a tow truck brought her in. We weren't trying to buy a whole new set of top of the line tires.....just one $90 tire on a 2015 Chevy Malibu. That guy could have done it. My wife works at a pharmacy and they do payments over the phone on delivery orders all the time.

Still not sure why he was being such an A.H.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 01-18-2020, 09:27 PM   #11
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I hate Firestone tires and REALLY dislike almost all the Firestone centers I have come across. So far in my 40+ years I think I have only come across 1 honest Firestone Center that actually did work and not try to rip you off.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:54 PM   #12
LEEVON

That's a short-sighted manager. I own a shop, and I can't think of a reason not to take a phone payment. The processor does charge a higher rate for them but it's not a big deal. I have never had a single chargeback in almost 30,000 transactions (knock on wood) so why worry about it. For a $90 tire and a girl traveling alone I'd just do it and ask the to send me a check or call it in later. Geez.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:55 PM   #13
dajn
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
I really feel sorry for females and many males who get taken advantage of at auto repair facilities. My daughter is down in La and took her jacked up Avalanche in to get the front tires remounted. While there they broke 2 lug nuts and she was told her front cv joints were shot causing the tire alignment problem...
One of the very few times I have had one of my vehicles brought to a shop was for front wheel bearings.. when I the car came back, the very next day the caliper would hit the rim while backing up. Lower caliper bolt was missing. And when I jacked it up and took the tire off, two of the threads were beat up from when they pressed the bearing out. The impact struggled to spin them off. I absolutely refuse to let someone else fix something for me unless its absolutely essential. Just the same story over and over.
dajn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:56 PM   #14
LEEVON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
The Firestone place near me has Terrible Reviews.
Here is two of them.

1st:
If I could rate this place zero I would. Biggest ripoff ever. They quoted me $1700 for the same job that Corner Garage in ------- Tn did for $540. This place is a total con job. They charged us $116 just to hook car up to computer to diagnose problem. This was AFTER we told them we were picking up the vehicle to take it to corner garage. I have never in my life been charged for the diagnosis. You know what's worse? The state of Tennessee has a contract with this place (State Troopers) so the taxpayers are being ripped off too. Shame! Shame!

2nd:

Hey, now they have 2 stars.... Was not a fan when this place was ---- Tire, and Firestone has not improved anything. Our Fleet management company sends us here when our Company Truck needs service or fixing. Well we saw that it had a bad anti-freeze leak near the firewall on top of the engine. Turns out the air intake was cracked. So i suppose that coolant runs around near the crack. Anyway, they take it upon themselves to do tons of other service items while they have the truck. Came away with $1700 bill. I am sure the Fleet service gave them the OK to do the other service, but I would not have. Anyway, the day after the truck is returned.... only cause we called them, they never called us. The truck is spitting and sputtering. Turns out a coil pack was bad. They had all the packs off, but did not bother to notice the leak had leaked into the spark plug hole. Leaving rust markings on the tip of the coil pack. Guess which one was bad.... I will be reporting them to our Fleet management company and asking for another place to take the truck next time.

Firestone has a tendancy to suck...but I could pick both of those reviews apart easily.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:13 PM   #15
dajn
Account Suspended

When it comes to tires, I would say just bust out the wallet. The local tire place I use has always been good to me. The bill is never cheap but I have never had a problem. So that's my one good experience with hiring people to fix a problem. For example I brought in my Yukon and basically said give me good quality. After everything is was a little over $800. But it looks like I will get my money's worth. 30,000 miles on them now and last time I rotated them they looked extremely good. Hankook. 80,000 miles out of a set of tires is very doable. Dont be the guy that puts two new tires on the front or something like that. Just bust out the wallet and do it the right way.
dajn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:03 PM   #16
67C10Step

I learned a few things from riding motorcycles. Don’t skimp on tires, brakes, or safety gear.

The manager here would have been fun but probably would have called the cops on me. First thing I’d ask is if he would like someone to treat his wife or daughter (assuming he has them) like that. Then I’d let him know what sales and customer service should look like. I do it all day every day for engineered technical equipment.

People ask me all the time why I still change my own oil and do most of my own repairs and I tell them because I got tired of paying a ton of money for second rate work. Have a great tire shop in Boogs town that I have had great results with.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:23 PM   #17
whitedog76

Sorry about your luck, sounds like that particular shop needs to come into the 21st century. If I`m not mistaken, the Firestone auto centers are independent franchisees. The owner or manager needs to make a few changes. When I drove OTR, just about every tire shop, truck stop, gas station, or whatever had at least the capability to do money orders or Commchecks. Heck, I even got an overweight violation and the Sheriffss department had moneys orders for me to pay the fine. I find it incredible in the day and age of PayPal and Phone payments, that a tire shop wouldn`t have alternative methods of payment,

On another note, I`ve had nothing but good luck with Firestone tires. I`ve had a set of Wilderness ATs and 3 sets of Destination ATs. My only complaint is that the I thought the last set was a little pricey.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:51 PM   #18
72 tigger

I emailed them. Let them know how l felt about not helping out a damsel in distress. Any one else could do the same

https://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/contact/
Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:52 PM   #19
72 tigger

What was the guys name you talked to?
Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:41 AM   #20
franken

I stopped using Firestone many years ago. I suppose this was a car that didn't come with a spare. I use discount tire. Great service, free rotation and patches.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:24 AM   #21
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I thought they went out of business a long time ago.

Seriously, didn't know they were still around.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:34 AM   #22
'63GENIII

Been using Americas Tire for a while now.

Used to have a CC with Firestone. The first time they gave my wife a hard time with a flat repair, that was it. No more $$ from me.

AT has been pretty good IMO. from flat repairs to tire rotations and complaints on balancing (Im pretty particular about vibrations) they've never jacked me around. Might have to wait a few minutes but they've made it right every time so far.

Gotta change it up every so often..

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #23
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
That's a short-sighted manager. I own a shop, and I can't think of a reason not to take a phone payment. The processor does charge a higher rate for them but it's not a big deal. I have never had a single chargeback in almost 30,000 transactions (knock on wood) so why worry about it. For a $90 tire and a girl traveling alone I'd just do it and ask the to send me a check or call it in later. Geez.
Thank you, Sir!

I even told my daughter to tell him to hold on to her drivers liscense and when they received the check, he could mail it back to her. Not sure if she told him that or not.

She brought me the paperwork they gave her. I blasted them on the survey thay had printed on the receipt. I hope someone higher up than this sales manager has the balls to call me back.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 01-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #24
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajn View Post
When it comes to tires, I would say just bust out the wallet. The local tire place I use has always been good to me. The bill is never cheap but I have never had a problem. So that's my one good experience with hiring people to fix a problem. For example I brought in my Yukon and basically said give me good quality. After everything is was a little over $800. But it looks like I will get my money's worth. 30,000 miles on them now and last time I rotated them they looked extremely good. Hankook. 80,000 miles out of a set of tires is very doable. Dont be the guy that puts two new tires on the front or something like that. Just bust out the wallet and do it the right way.
I agree. I'm gonna put three more new ones on, but they won't be Primewell like the one she has on there now. BUT, she made it back home alright last night so they got her on the road and she got home safely.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 01-19-2020, 10:45 AM   #25
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tigger View Post
I emailed them. Let them know how l felt about not helping out a damsel in distress. Any one else could do the same

https://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/contact/
If they call me back, I'm gonna get em pretty good if they stay on the line long enough to take it.
2003 Chevy Silverado