The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #1
underliner6

BIG hole in Blazer Top

I am looking at a Blazer where the original top was cut to install an RV type vent. Besides the massive hole cut out, the top is in very nice condition. If I were to pickup this Blazer, I would not be able to live with the vent and would want to get it fixed. I have read threads about boat repair shops and fiberglass guys being able to fix top damage but is it possible to fix a hole this big? I would think you would almost need a “patch panel” cut from another top to cover such a large area. What’s your guy’s opinion on if this is reasonably fixable or not?
Attached Images

1972 K20 Cheyenne- 350/350/205
1972 K20 Cheyenne - 350/SM465/205
underliner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
hemi43

Re: BIG hole in Blazer Top

Anything is fixable !
As far as cutting a piece from a donor roof, it's not worth the hassle because you will lose the texture when you blend in the patch anyway. The whole top will then have to be "stippled" again.
For what it's going to cost to get a bodyshop to do it, learn to do it yourself. It's not rocket science.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #3
Jesse B.

I have a similar hole in my single wall. What I have done is purchased a piece of sheet fiberglass about 6 inches larger than the hole. or more if you want. So if the hole is 12x12, buy a sheet that is 18x18. You can buy these thin sheets anywhere and you can even buy them on Amazon or ebay. They are rigid and allow you to span the hole without it falling into the hole. This will give you about 3 inches of overlap on each side. I bought the special SMC epoxy from West Systems and have ground down the area of overlap to about 1/2 of the thickness of the top. I am then going to epoxy the sheet over the hole and than gradually build the hole back up with more and more fiberglass fiber sheet and epoxy until it is level, sand and paint.
Jesse B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #4
underliner6

I see. So you think the rigid fiberglass sheet will be structurally sound enough for the top? I was watching some videos of mostly holes being repaired on boats and a lot of people were using a backing of some sort. Wood, metal mesh, etc. Obviously on a blazer top this probably wouldn’t work well because both sides of the top are seen and need to be smooth.

Last edited by underliner6; 12-19-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
Jesse B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underliner6 View Post
I see. So you think the rigid fiberglass sheet will be structurally sound enough for the top? I was watching some videos of mostly holes being repaired on boats and a lot of people were not using a backing of some sort. Wood, metal mesh, etc. Obviously on a blazer top this probably wouldn’t work well because both sides of the top are seen and need to be smooth.
No, that is not what I am saying. I am suggesting you use this one rigid sheet to fill the hole. It should be thin. This thin rigid piece is just a patch to fill the hole so when you layer additional sheets of epoxy-soaked fiberglass mesh over it these additional sheets of mesh don't fall through the hole. After you epoxy this thin rigid patch in place, you layer additional fiberglass sheets of mesh over it again and again on both sides until you match the original thickness of the top. The one rigid sheet by itself is not enough. It will be a process that will take several layers. It may take as many as four, five, maybe six layers to build it up to be the correct thickness and strength.
Jesse B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #6
underliner6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse B. View Post
No, that is not what I am saying. I am suggesting you use this one rigid sheet to fill the hole. It should be thin. This thin rigid piece is just a patch to fill the hole so when you layer additional sheets of epoxy-soaked fiberglass mesh over it these additional sheets of mesh don't fall through the hole. After you epoxy this thin rigid patch in place, you layer additional fiberglass sheets of mesh over it again and again on both sides until you match the original thickness of the top. The one rigid sheet by itself is not enough. It will be a process that will take several layers. It may take as many as four, five, maybe six layers to build it up to be the correct thickness and strength.
Got it. I appreciate the insight.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #7
notsolo

Sounds like Jesse B has a good approach to fix this, even the double wall tops sag some in the middle, what's the best way to this repair, on the Blazer with some stiffeners to hold it up?...off the Blazer upside down with support from the mounting holes? I tried adding some expanding foam in between to reduce the sag. not a good idea.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:41 PM   #8
82sdale

thats an easy fix for anybody that does fiberglass. the only thing the finish on the top will need attention
82sdale is offline   Reply With Quote