The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2020, 12:22 AM   #1
jaydex

Frame Height

Hi guys finally putting all the pieces together after 4 years. Body is primed going off rotisserie back on frame in next few days for final fits before paint. Something has bothered me for quite a while. I have installed a 4" lift kit using lifted springs front and back. Not sure if this is normal but the back of the frame on the flat spot to the flat spot on front of frame it is 2" higher in the back? No body or drivetrain in it, diffs are dead level. Diffs are out of a newer blazer but I don't think that should matter? Is this normal? not a huge deal but always bugged me. It does have a wedge between springs and diff to tilt rear end up a bit ( but less then an inch). Also had to lower the tranny mount to lower the angle on the driveshaft. steep and short but it will work. (700r4). IT does drop in the back a bit with body on but not to level. Haven't tried it with top on for a bit. Just wondering if it being high in the back is an issue or normal. Double checked part numbers on lifted springs and all good.I also have a 1" body lift not sure if i should try and level body with lift blocks in different locations or just let it sit high in back?
jaydex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #2
Mike C

Re: Frame Height

I wouldn’t mess with it until you have it loaded. What lift do you go with? We installed a 4” on my kids Jimmy project that was a frame off (was bought as a wreck, originally frame destroyed). We also swapped diffs from a later truck, 8 lug Suburban in our case.

With body back on the frame the back was way too high. I had ordered the lift from National Tire and Wheel and they were great working with me. Looked like the rear springs were wrong. They sent me another set and they were identical to the first. Next to the OEM springs on the ground, they were 6” higher. I ordered a set of 2” springs that were 2” higher measured on the ground... They were too low. So we used the overload and the wedge from the supposed 4” springs to get just over 3” spring lift. It seems just about right now that it is all together.

But I would not make any assumptions about how it will sit until it is fully loaded. On ours, the stock driveshaft was too short and the lifted shocks wouldn’t fit either so clearly the springs were not correct for a Blazer/Jimmy setup. I bought 4” springs from them 30 years ago for my own Jimmy and they were perfect, so go figure.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:23 AM   #3
jaydex

I used bds suspension lift. Lifted springs, shocks and steering arm was included. Guess I will wait until everything is installed then make a decision. Does anybody know what original stance should be? Where they high in the back from factory or level with top off?
jaydex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:05 AM   #4
Richard

Most off the shelf lift kits installed on Blazers will have the rear end squatting a bit due to the weight of the top. Years ago it was pretty standard practice to install an add-a-leaf to level it out. As said don't worry about it until motor, trans, body, top etc is all installed.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote