The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
joewell80

StreetGrip or Airbags

I know its kind of new, but can anyone here compere Ridetech's StreetGrip to airbag suspension? I've been interested in StreetGrip kit but concerned about the ride quality compered to airbags. I don't need my truck really low, and I don't need to "lay frame", I was just thinking about airbags for ride quality purposes only. I would like it to handle well also.

Thanks.
joewell80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
leftybass209

Re: StreetGrip or Airbags

Bags are great for passenger ride comfort and for the aesthetics of laying a truck out. For the performance oriented driver, the streetgrip system you are interested in would be better. Springs will always be springs though. A change in spring rates will adjust firmness or softness but ultimately you'd never get:

bag comfort from springs, or spring performance from bags. (when comparing the best setups of both)

That's not to say there aren't performance rides that use bags, or plush comfort rides that use springs though.

That streetgrip setup is just using dual-rate (variable rate) springs which changes the spring rate character as weight is applied to the truck or during hard-turning/acceleration.

Any quality variable rate spring and a good adjustable shock would perform similarly. They're just using delrin bushings as well. It's not a reinvention of the wheel, but rather a package that encompasses some performance oriented parts in one kit.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
joewell80

Thanks for the info but I'm wondering how much better is ride quality of bags vs good springs. I realize ride quality is everybody's own interpretation, but is it just a little better or is it night and day?
Old 06-09-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
Swar

I don't have experience with the street grip setup, I'm sure it's a great improvement over stock, but I do know bags... night and day difference for me, ride quality and handling.
But bags are a lot more involved. The right psi is key. And don't expect a lower stance by just replacing stock springs with bags, it may even ride higher depending on what psi you want for ride height.
And you'll actually gain hauling capabilities with bags. I have Air Lift bags in the rear rated at 2500 lbs each. You can't get that with a softer spring.
If you're building a drift machine or something strictly for racing on a track, then you might stick to springs, otherwise either setup is a huge improvement for overall driving.
And that concludes everything I've learned so far!
Swar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
joewell80

Thanks Swar,
Did you install your bags to stock suspension components (factory control arms)? how much air (psi) do you consider just right for ride quality and looks?
Old 06-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
Swar

At first, yes, and it was far to high for me, looked close to stock ride height. I ended up doing air bag control arms and drop spindles, but that slams it to the ground.
80 psi in the front and 40 in the rear works for me but it depends on the type/brand of bag you go with.
Swar is offline   Reply With Quote