The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2020, 01:15 PM   #26
EagleChief

Re: Need some brake help, please...

So, '78 calipers are what I need to go with, it sounds like. I'll add that to my notes for future reference. Are the banjo bolts still the same size for the '78 calipers (7/16")?

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197

LS Swap Thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=811460
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #27
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Hey Rusty, did you go with the 67-72 BB-2 11 booster from Summit? I have replaced all the front and rear brake parts, except the rotors on my 71, brakes are fair.
Reface your existing rotors. If your rotors are still above minimum thickness after machining, you should be OK. Have those new drums checked for roundness. Drums are famous for getting knocked out of round during shipping.

My truck's 454 BBC is so cammed up it doesn't make much vacuum.. I needed something that would work well under low vacuum conditions.. Here's the link to the conversion kit I used:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-760197

I see they've reduced the price approximately $30 since I bought mine... Also, I see they've dropped the proportioning valve from the kit.. I don't have a part # for it, just tell them you want the one that goes with Disk/Drum truck applications..

Last edited by RustyPile; 04-09-2020 at 04:10 PM.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #28
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleChief View Post
So, '78 calipers are what I need to go with, it sounds like. I'll add that to my notes for future reference. Are the banjo bolts still the same size for the '78 calipers (7/16")?
To be honest, I didn't check the bolt size.. The calipers came with new bolts and copper washers.. You have to remember I didn't set out to install '78 calipers on my truck, I was looking for all '71 stuff.. The parts store where I get my stuff had only one '71 caliper.. The guys working there have been in the parts business a long time and they know their business.. We started looking at what they had and came up with the '78 calipers.. We compared the '78 hose to the one I brought with me.. The fitting opposite the caliper was a perfect match to the old one...

Before everybody gets the wrong idea, I'm not saying the '78 calipers will necessarily give you better brakes.. What I am saying is cover all the bases, do quality work using premium parts, always machine the friction surfaces .. Take no shortcuts and you will have good brakes.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:04 PM   #29
notsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
Reface your existing rotors. If your rotors are still above minimum thickness after machining, you should be OK. Have those new drums checked for roundness. Drums are famous for getting knocked out of round during shipping.

My truck's 454 BBC is so cammed up it doesn't make much vacuum.. I needed something that would work well under low vacuum conditions.. Here's the link to the conversion kit I used:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-760197

I see they've reduced the price approximately $30 since I bought mine... Also, I see they've dropped the proportioning valve from the kit.. I don't have a part # for it, just tell them you want the one that goes with Disk/Drum truck applications..
Thank You, Rusty, that gives me a place to start.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:51 AM   #30
EagleChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
To be honest, I didn't check the bolt size.. The calipers came with new bolts and copper washers.. You have to remember I didn't set out to install '78 calipers on my truck, I was looking for all '71 stuff.. The parts store where I get my stuff had only one '71 caliper.. The guys working there have been in the parts business a long time and they know their business.. We started looking at what they had and came up with the '78 calipers.. We compared the '78 hose to the one I brought with me.. The fitting opposite the caliper was a perfect match to the old one...

Before everybody gets the wrong idea, I'm not saying the '78 calipers will necessarily give you better brakes.. What I am saying is cover all the bases, do quality work using premium parts, always machine the friction surfaces .. Take no shortcuts and you will have good brakes.
I understand, completely. Knowing that whatever I have is giving me fitment issues, but I made it work - the next time I go to change front pads I can update the calipers and hopefully won't have to worry about shaving the next set of pads down to fit. I appreciate your input!

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197

LS Swap Thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=811460
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:41 PM   #31
Resto-Rand

Definite big thanks to RustyPile for the info.

I'll be putting a new power booster and hoses soon. I'll follow your directions to the letter.

I'm going from manual to power brakes, just to help out my old legs get 'er stopped.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:55 PM   #32
RustyPile

Thanks all you guys for the vote of confidence.. I'm just glad to help you guys...