The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #1
72timemachine

Where Cheyenne Supers produced in large numbers by GM?

Hello,

Without the answer, I have often wondered if my '72 Cheyenne Super c/10 would have been special ordered or if it was common for GM dealers to have a few for sale on their lot.

Here are some of the items mentioned on my glove box door and some which may not matter.

Two tone paint, blue with a white stripe down the side.
Fake wood on the dash cluster and glove box door.
Chrome molding all down the length of the truck, some with the fake wood trim and across the tailgate.
Bed light mounted on the rear of the cab.
Built-in tool storage box in the bed.
Rear view sport mirrors attached to the doors.
Spare tire is mounted in the bed behind the driver, not under the rear of the bed.
350 cubic inch motor with factory 4 barrel. Engine appears untouched and still has the metal heat riser tube for the choke.
Th350 automatic transmission.
12 bolt limited slip rear end.
Coil spring suspension.
Front and rear sway bars.
Rear step bumper not the nice chrome one.
Factory a/c.
Am/fm radio, I believe you can lock in the channels.
Power steering.
Power front disc brakes.
Tilt steering wheel.
Tachometer in the fake wood grain dash.
I think it's called hound's tooth style fabric on the bench seat but just where you back and butt make contact.
Molded plastic interior door panels.
Matching blue carpet.
Vinyl headliner.

Thank you for any help.
72timemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #2
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Re: Where Cheyenne Supers produced in large numbers by GM?

Sounds like a nice super too me! Got any pictures? I can’t help with what the dealers were ordering but your truck has some pretty nice options. The tool and stowage compartment isn’t all that common and I’ve only see a few supers with it. I got a bed with that setup for my regular Cheyenne K20.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
72timemachine

Well thank you kindly for the information. To be honest, I'm too embarrassed to post a photo of it right now. The guy I bought it from ripped off all the exterior chrome trim then covered all the original paint with spray cans of grey primer and this was after I told him I was going to drive down the following day and buy it.

It was one of those cases where someone feels they are making something better yet have no idea how much damage they just caused. Every piece of trim except the tailgate trim was destroyed when he and his brother tore it off and threw all the bent up pieces in the bed. I was so stunned I could not even say anything. I knew I had something a bit special so I decided to shut my mouth and drive off in it instead.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
jocko

Presence of lack of an order # in the corner of your SPID may give you an idea whether it was a lot puppy or ordered specifically in that configuration. Having said that - I THINK the dealers could also "order" trucks specifically - so if that is indeed true (Keith? Anyone know?) - then it's not a definitive answer.

EDIT: I found that Keith has already answered the Order # question here. Thanks Keith!

Last edited by jocko; 04-09-2020 at 06:04 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:52 PM   #5
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I see you state Front and Rear Sway Bars.. I've never heard of our trucks having a rear sway bar option, has anyone else. What is the RPO Code for the front and rear sway bars as F59 is the RPo Code for the front sway bar...

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021

Last edited by Already Gone; 04-10-2020 at 02:05 AM.
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:01 PM   #6
jocko

We don't care about the exterior, SHOW US YOUR SPID!!!
Old 04-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #7
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72timemachine View Post
Well thank you kindly for the information. To be honest, I'm too embarrassed to post a photo of it right now. The guy I bought it from ripped off all the exterior chrome trim then covered all the original paint with spray cans of grey primer and this was after I told him I was going to drive down the following day and buy it.

It was one of those cases where someone feels they are making something better yet have no idea how much damage they just caused. Every piece of trim except the tailgate trim was destroyed when he and his brother tore it off and threw all the bent up pieces in the bed. I was so stunned I could not even say anything. I knew I had something a bit special so I decided to shut my mouth and drive off in it instead.
Still would like to see pictures. You don't have anything to be embarrassed about. You have it now and it's time to deal with it.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:10 PM   #8
jocko

Quote:
Hello,

Without the answer, I have often wondered if my '72 Cheyenne Super c/10 would have been special ordered or if it was common for GM dealers to have a few for sale on their lot.

Here are some of the items mentioned on my glove box door and some which may not matter.

Two tone paint, blue with a white stripe down the side.
Fake wood on the dash cluster and glove box door.
Chrome molding all down the length of the truck, some with the fake wood trim and across the tailgate.
Bed light mounted on the rear of the cab.
Built-in tool storage box in the bed.
Rear view sport mirrors attached to the doors.
Spare tire is mounted in the bed behind the driver, not under the rear of the bed.
350 cubic inch motor with factory 4 barrel. Engine appears untouched and still has the metal heat riser tube for the choke.
Th350 automatic transmission.
12 bolt limited slip rear end.
Coil spring suspension.
Front and rear sway bars.
Rear step bumper not the nice chrome one.
Factory a/c.
Am/fm radio, I believe you can lock in the channels.
Power steering.
Power front disc brakes.
Tilt steering wheel.
Tachometer in the fake wood grain dash.
I think it's called hound's tooth style fabric on the bench seat but just where you back and butt make contact.
Molded plastic interior door panels.
Matching blue carpet.
Vinyl headliner.

Thank you for any help.
Very nice truck. Note that some of the items you list were standard equipment (regardless of trim level) and some items were "standard" i.e. "included" if a truck had the Cheyenne Super trim level option. For instance, coils were standard for your C10. Tilt, however, wasn't even included on a Super, nor was A/C or a tach - they were all stand-alone options that the original owner added to his shopping list of gotta-haves (and could be added to any trim level). Houndstooth (i.e. Custom Cloth) is included on a Cheyenne Super only. Headliner - Cheyenne and Cheyenne Super had one. Woodgrain on the instrument cluster and gb door was standard in the Cheyenne Super only - but the woodgrain door panels and tailgate band were on the Cheyenne and Cheyenne Super. Crazy right? Lotsa weird nuances on these trucks. Anyway, would love to see your SPID when you get a chance.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:37 PM   #9
72timemachine

I'll head out to where my truck is stored and take a photo of the build sheet in the glove box. I will also take some photos of the rear sway bar. This may take a day or two as we have been pounded with rain for days now and I'm not that amped up to lay in the mud or unwrapped my truck.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #10
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:

Shoot don’t be embarrassed! Lots of guys here including my self have trucks that have been thru similar treatment from previous owners! No judging here I promise! Hell my truck is currently 4 different colors and The upper and lower trim holes in the cab and one front fender have been brazed (yes brazed) over. One day I’ll get around to paining it back in it’s original scheme but not any time real soon. I’d love to see what your working with!
Old 04-09-2020, 08:20 PM   #11
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:

Depending on if I had made a deposit, I'd have told them that they just reduced the price by some number of hundreds of dollars and dealt the price down or just walked. That kind of an action strikes me as pure vandalism, personally.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:02 PM   #12
72timemachine

Here is the SPI, can anyone add to what the YE9 Cheyenne Super Equipment represents? Considering it does not mention tilt steering, which I have, excuse the 84 Chevy van steering wheel, mine was all cracked up so I replaced it with a smaller, more comfortable one. Why mention factory door guards and not the tilt? Was tilt part of the super equipment?

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2020, 10:14 PM   #13
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Here is the SPI, can anyone add to what the YE9 Cheyenne Super Equipment represents? Considering it does not mention tilt steering, which I have, excuse the 84 Chevy van steering wheel, mine was all cracked up so I replaced it with a smaller, more comfortable one. Why mention factory door guards and not the tilt? Was tilt part of the super equipment?

Thanks for any help.
It mentions tilt. Says Comfort tilt steering. Also just shows front stabilizer bar not front and rear. As far as the YE9 thats the RPO Code for the Cheyenne Super Pkg. I’m sure someone will chime in with a list ofwhats in the YE9 package and if not I’ll do it from home tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2020, 10:23 PM   #14
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Killer spid man looks like an excellent start to me. As said above comfortilt steer wheel is the tilt column it’s on your spid. Cheyenne super added a few extra features to the cheyenne package. In a nut shell the combined options between the two got you, wood grain lower exterior moldings, (I believe it also got you the upper moldings as well but I could be wrong)wood grain door panel inserts, wood grain 5 gauge cluster, and wood grain glove box door. It also included, full foam seat in hounds tooth, chrome front bumper, chrome tailgate handle, chrome windshield and rear glass trim, chrome vent window frames, extra cab insulation, cargo light, chrome dash knobs, chrome cigar lighter, and shifter(s) for 4 speed manual transmission and transfer case shifter if 4x4, headliner, chrome pedal trim. That’s all that comes to mind but I’m sure there’s probably a few things I’m missing here but these are the big things that come to mind. Here’s a brochure that probably fills in the gaps I missed.
Attached Images

Last edited by 57taskforce; 04-10-2020 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:27 PM   #15
72timemachine

Sorry, I'm a bit sleep deprived, I must have only read "comfort steering wheel", thanks for pointing that out.

Here are some photos of the rear sway bar. I am no way implying it is stock, however, it is so well fastened to the frame and trailing arms I just assumed it was stock because it had one in the front...I mean, it sort of makes sense to stiffen the rear of the truck as well, then again it's not a Porsche 911.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2020, 10:38 PM   #16
72timemachine

Wow, you pretty much nailed the features, no 4 wheel drive though, just a c/10.

Yes, it does have the upper and lower trim as you described.

Here is the interior you just explained in the photos.

Thank you.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2020, 11:03 PM   #17
jocko

Nice truck, thanks for posting the SPID. The only items that Cheyenne Super YE9 "added" (when compared to a Cheyenne Z84) and were uniquely included only in the Super package (some of which could be ordered as individual RPOs on lower trim levels) were upper exterior moldings, chrome hub caps, gauges, insulation (EDIT: correction, insulation was also on the Cheyenne level, so not on this Super only list), woodgrain on dash and gb door, chrome tailgate handle (in 71), bright tailgate handle cover (in 72), and, of course, the Super nameplate. If you didn't order buckets, you also got the Custom Cloth (houndstooth) seat cover - but you could only order olive, parchment, or blue trim color.

This is why you won't see things like RPO Z53 (gauges) or PO3 (chrome hub caps) on your SPID - but you would, for instance, see Z53 on a Cheyenne that had gauges ordered (as most did). So since your SPID doesn't show PO1 full wheel covers, you can deduce that yours came with PO3 chrome hub caps.

Some things, like tilt steering for example, are not part of any trim packages - so that is why it appears on your SPID - original owner (or dealer) ordered with tilt. (tilt is part of the special promo pkgs in 72, but those aren't trim levels, they're just combo packages - and the options do still appear on the SPID regardless even when included in the YG promo packages - a slight difference from the way it is done with trim levels (i.e. "included" options are not printed on the SPID for trim levels).

Last edited by jocko; 04-11-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:03 PM   #18
Chevyland

Hey jocko
How’s it going

Can you please elaborate on ‘insulation’
Difference from Cheyenne and Cheyenne Super
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:29 PM   #19
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland View Post
Hey jocko
How’s it going

Can you please elaborate on ‘insulation’
Difference from Cheyenne and Cheyenne Super
If I’m not mistaken I think the supers have more floor insulation, Ive always wondered if the headliners were the same too or if the supers had more insulation there as well. I’m pretty sure they both had the extra glued on insulation on the metal surface on the inside of the truck at the cowl/upper firewall.

Above I was trying list the cumulative standard options between the super and regular cheyenne, not just the stand alone cheyenne super options if that makes sense.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:29 PM   #20
jocko

I'd have to dig for a picture of it Eric - I think Greg may have posted it or asked about it once, at least that's where I vaguely remember seeing a diagram of it (Already Gone, is this ringing a bell?? I might have my threads crossed, so to speak). It was kinda down the sides of the cowl/front of the door area if I recall.

Thanks Tyler - copy, I understood you were combining them, and you're correct - that's a good way to look at it - i.e. Super was kind of an extension of the Cheyenne anyway, so looking at it as a Cheyenne and Cheyenne Super together is a good way to capture it too.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:00 AM   #21
Chevyland

I’ve always thought
Cheyenne’s an Supers
Got the same insulation treatment
Above and beyond custom or custom deluxe
One example that comes to mind is the rubber breeze shields (or whatever they are called) at the back of the front fenders.
Only on the two higher end models
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:42 AM   #22
71 super

Both supers and Cheyenne got the same insulation treatment, a big tell on deluxe and higher option trucks is the fender rubber seals between the door and fender. The Cheyenne truck only had standard lower chrome, the upper was optional, but standard on the super. There were some 72 custom deluxe trucks that were higher optioned than supers. My red super was a low option truck, had tilt, tach and leaf springs with ps and brakes, and ac and 350/350. The original poster has a really nice starting point, that was a big time truck in its day. With a little work you can use a little thinner and clean the primer mess off the truck as it looks like rattle can and should be relatively easy to remove. A good bath in CLR and it will clean up nicely.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:47 AM   #23
jocko

Thanks guys - yep, it was the rubber fender seals that I was thinking of - indeed another item on both YE9 and Z84, thanks for the catch, I screwed that up. I added a note to post 17.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:48 PM   #24
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Sorry, I'm a bit sleep deprived, I must have only read "comfort steering wheel", thanks for pointing that out.

Here are some photos of the rear sway bar. I am no way implying it is stock, however, it is so well fastened to the frame and trailing arms I just assumed it was stock because it had one in the front...I mean, it sort of makes sense to stiffen the rear of the truck as well, then again it's not a Porsche 911.

That rear sway bar is not factory stock but looks like a Hellwig Rear Sway bar and I actually have one of those sitting in my garage and will installing on my truck this summer.

https://www.hellwigproducts.com/prod...artnumber=7401

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 04-12-2020, 12:16 AM   #25
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I'd have to dig for a picture of it Eric - I think Greg may have posted it or asked about it once, at least that's where I vaguely remember seeing a diagram of it (Already Gone, is this ringing a bell?? I might have my threads crossed, so to speak). It was kinda down the sides of the cowl/front of the door area if I recall.

Thanks Tyler - copy, I understood you were combining them, and you're correct - that's a good way to look at it - i.e. Super was kind of an extension of the Cheyenne anyway, so looking at it as a Cheyenne and Cheyenne Super together is a good way to capture it too.
Just saw this mark. I have the pic of diagram at home on puter . Will post tomorrow from home.