The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2020, 08:37 PM   #1
69SCSS

Wing window fail!

When I painted my truck last year I got new wing windows from LMC Truck. I don't know where they get their parts, but they rusted after 6 months, and have never sealed correctly! The glass doesn't even seat against the rubber on the back, had to add some black tape to help seal it.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has some pics of their wing windows, so I know how they are supposed to sit. I may rip these apart and rebuild them, but it's my daily. Prob will just get some OEM ones and call it. First though, I'd like to see what it's supposed to look like from the outside. The pics I have found in a Google search were pretty low res, but looks like my glass sits crooked in the frame in the Y axis both leaning in towards the cab, and back at the top.

Here are some pics of my 1 year old, rusty, brand new repop wing windows.

(Caviat - I do live at the coast, but my old wing windows weren't even close to as rusty after 50 years of use)
Attached Images

69SCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:49 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Wing window fail!

Yeah, the quality of most chrome plating leaves a lot to be desired. When I had my Blazer on the road, I had to use chrome polish on the aftermarket bumper every couple of months to keep the tiny rust spots down.

I feel for you. Aside from the money, that's a lot of work to put in.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:46 PM   #3
tim_mc

I wound up rebuilding a pair of vent windows that I found on Craig's List. That might be a good option for a daily driver.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
69SCSS

Yours look like they fit much tighter. At the bottom looks like mine are about 1/4" higher than yours, and they just seem to fit the window frame better. Yea I'm grabbing a pair of OEMs, I have had no luck with repop parts for my C10. Ironically the parts I have bought as repops for my 65 Mustang have fit great. Go figure.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:25 PM   #5
69Tom

That's ridiculous. I'd be calling up LMC Truck and requesting my money back.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:57 PM   #6
69SCSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
That's ridiculous. I'd be calling up LMC Truck and requesting my money back.
I agree, but I bought it back in Sept 2018, but didn't get them installed until prob May of last year. Not sure after this long they would do anything. At $210 a pop, they weren't the most expensive ones I could find, but combine that with the money to replace them, I probably could have gotten the really nice ones they guy sells on here.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:59 PM   #7
Astro-Balls

I just went through rebuilding mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWK8GgWD4uA
Astro-Balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:09 PM   #8
custom10nut

Man, i really don’t like to hear these accounts of how Poor Quality the aftermarket parts are.
I had to replace a Wing window, because the pivot broke loose from the frame (it was that way when I bought the truck 28 years ago). I was patient looking, but finally found a replacement out of a truck in a salvage yard. Factory.
The quality of some factory parts cannot be reproduced.
I hope that you come to a resolution on your ordeal.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:13 PM   #9
69SCSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro-Balls View Post
I just went through rebuilding mine.

Mine looked like that when I put them in, just didn't fit like that.... I'm sure they don't deafen you with wind noise either
Old 04-09-2020, 03:38 PM   #10
69SCSS

For you guys that have restored these, if I get an OEM pair and polish out the chrome, what would you suggest to protect it? I doubt clear coat would stick, but I'd like to do something since I live at the coast and it's gonna rust no matter what I do!
Old 04-09-2020, 05:35 PM   #11
blue 72 gmc 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SCSS View Post
For you guys that have restored these, if I get an OEM pair and polish out the chrome, what would you suggest to protect it? I doubt clear coat would stick, but I'd like to do something since I live at the coast and it's gonna rust no matter what I do!
I knew the re-pops were probably not the best quality but wow, those are bad. I clear powder coated my polished aluminum wheels and they have held up great over the last 4 years or so. All the vents I rebuild I powder coat. Powder coat clear should last on those, however you always run the risk of it de-laminating over time.
1969 Chevy C/30 Bruiser
1972 GMC (Wrecked)
1972 GMC pickup..old blue

Restored Vent Windows
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=766598

1955 GMC hydramatic build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429417

blue 72 gmc 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #12
69Tom

Quote:
Seeing as where you live, have you thought about a set of original black painted frames? As your truck is black, I think it'd look pretty good and then you wouldn't have to worry as much.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:09 PM   #13
69SCSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
Seeing as where you live, have you thought about a set of original black painted frames? As your truck is black, I think it'd look pretty good and then you wouldn't have to worry as much.
Yea, found a pair of chrome ones and will prob run with those, but that's a good point. Keeping my eye out right now, and with the way things are right now I'm not going in for anything expensive!

FWIW I sent LMC an email today about it with pics and my invoice attached. Not sure they will even reply, but hell worth a shot. I drive the truck every day, would be nice to use my stereo again. Can't hear it over the wind noise. BAH!
Old 04-10-2020, 03:35 PM   #14
69SCSS

Well Well, LMC got back to me and offered me $200 in store credit since it's been two years. Honestly, that's more than I expected. I guess if I need anything like lenses or things that don't rust I'll be getting them from LMC.

Of course not buying anything else from them until their quality of products they sell goes up....
Old 04-10-2020, 04:34 PM   #15
tdangle

Anybody know if all the places use the same manufacturer for these vent window assemblies? Mine aren't in the best of shape (dented and pitted chrome) and I was thinking about buying new ones when I do paint. Now I'm having 2nd thoughts.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #16
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
Anybody know if all the places use the same manufacturer for these vent window assemblies? Mine aren't in the best of shape (dented and pitted chrome) and I was thinking about buying new ones when I do paint. Now I'm having 2nd thoughts.
There is a couple of forum members that restore GM vent windows for not much more than repops. That is what I did and am happy with the windows.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:57 PM   #17
tdangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
There is a couple of forum members that restore GM vent windows for not much more than repops. That is what I did and am happy with the windows.
I already rebuilt mine. Seem to work fairly well, but the chrome is pitted and dented in a couple of places. I guess I'll figure out what I want to do when I get to paint.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:19 AM   #18
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
I already rebuilt mine. Seem to work fairly well, but the chrome is pitted and dented in a couple of places. I guess I'll figure out what I want to do when I get to paint.
He redid the chrome on the ones he restored for me.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:35 PM   #19
toolboxchev

Every time I see something like this it puts my thoughts about restoration on hold.

I completely went around the cab of my roof last summer with the wrong seam sealer and now I am showing signs of water penetration.

Somewhere around 60 percent of the aftermarket stuff out there ain't worth it to me. If the originals went 50 years then why?

That salt environment down there is the main reason. Obviously they do not do any Salt Spray testing on their product like some paint manufactures do. There is a ASTM standard for that. Chiynwa Huwaii Corona Wuhan crap.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:09 PM   #20
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I see your drip rail already has some rust in it and your mirrors are rusted. Was all this "new" at the same time? I thought stuff rusted fast here.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:06 PM   #21
69SCSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
I see your drip rail already has some rust in it and your mirrors are rusted. Was all this "new" at the same time? I thought stuff rusted fast here.
Mirrors are from before, I just reused them and cleaned them up, but yea any seams out here get hit. My 2005 Silverado is getting some also. If I was right at the ocean, it would be even faster! I am about 1/4 mile inland up the hill.

And honestly the drip rail could mean I just didn't seal as well as I should. First "real" paint job I have done. Learning experience I've learned I hate painting!
Old 04-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #22
rockyrivermark

Quote:
When I painted my truck last year I got new wing windows from LMC Truck. I don't know where they get their parts, but they rusted after 6 months, and have never sealed correctly! The glass doesn't even seat against the rubber on the back, had to add some black tape to help seal it.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has some pics of their wing windows, so I know how they are supposed to sit. I may rip these apart and rebuild them, but it's my daily. Prob will just get some OEM ones and call it. First though, I'd like to see what it's supposed to look like from the outside. The pics I have found in a Google search were pretty low res, but looks like my glass sits crooked in the frame in the Y axis both leaning in towards the cab, and back at the top.

Here are some pics of my 1 year old, rusty, brand new repop wing windows.

(Caviat - I do live at the coast, but my old wing windows weren't even close to as rusty after 50 years of use)
Wad up a piece of tin foil. Then unwrap it open again. Use plenty of water and rub on the chrome. Actually does a good job. Certainly can’t look worse than what you have.
I always laugh when I see these car shows getting their big shipment of LMC boxes.
Yeah like joe Martin or dave kindig are putting that crap on $100,000 builds!
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:06 PM   #23
69SCSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
I always laugh when I see these car shows getting their big shipment of LMC boxes.
Yeah like joe Martin or dave kindig are putting that crap on $100,000 builds!
I've thought the same thing. They did that C10 and used a pile of LMC panels... they must have had to tweak every one of them. My doors needed a bunch of mods just to bolt together, and they still don't fit quite right. Even the door panel holes at the bottom were off enough I couldn't use the all the screws!

Yea, sticking to OEM. I know that will dry up at some point, but hopefully no time soon!!! I wanna keep driving my truck!
Old 05-04-2020, 07:57 PM   #24
bigmac73

Guys if i remember right precision rebuilds the vent windows
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:25 PM   #25
69SCSS

So I swapped in the wing windows I bought from burnem. Here are the new vs old pics. You can see how different the repro frame shapes are! The bottom of the gasket was almost 1/2" short on the repros, so it looks like the glass was short by that much on both! Insane how bad the quality is for the LMC parts!

Took a test drive and it's sooooooo much quieter. I could even listen to my stereo clearly.
Attached Images