The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2018, 10:18 PM   #26
Grumpy old man

Re: What's the latest w windshields: Pilkington or Crinamex?

Glass shops are just like any aftermarket parts supplier they always push whatever they have the largest profit margin on , Call and deal direct ...

Pilkington Classics – Automotive Glass for Classic, Exotic, and Collectible Cars: Phone +1 800-848-1351

To keep your classic car, truck or exotic automobile looking its best, turn to Pilkington Classics. We can supply you with the OEM quality auto replacement glass you need. Plus, you can order it complete with the original LOF sandblasted logo and date coding.

To discuss how we can fit your auto glass needs, please call us toll-free at 1-800-848-1351.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #27
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyenneSuper72 View Post
I have ordered 3 recently trying to get my windshield/trim/rubber issue lined out. First one was a FY. Those are complete junk. It’s quite a bit thinner than the oem glass. Second one that showed up was a vitro same issue. Glass is thin and it appears that the curvature isn’t quite right. Last glass ordered was PGW. It has not showed up yet so I don’t know how that will play out. I tried multiple times to get Pilkington but I was told that they no longer make this particular glass? Anyone know where there is a stash of OEM glass? ��
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3757chevy View Post
I had my '67 done in March and my '72 K5 done last March, both in the parking lot in front of the store where I work. Both PGW . No problems and Norm said the pickup's went in pretty easily.
I also have a PGW windshield. I ordered it from a local glass store for $91 with shipping. It was installed by the shop that did my body and paint. They did not say how it went. So, I assume OK. I have the earlier original style stainless trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnfind46 View Post
I had my glass installed about ten years ago but this thread got me to thinking. What if any markings were on my glass? I looked and it said PPG. So I wonder if PPG still makes windshields for our trucks?
According to Wikipedia:
"In 2008, PPG renamed their automotive glass division PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works) and sold a majority of it to Kohlberg & Company. PPG retained 40% ownership of PGW until March 2016 when they sold their stake to automotive parts salvage company LKQ"

I read elsewhere that LKQ (no mention of Kohlberg) then sold the OEM part of the business later in 2016 to Vitro but retained ownership of the aftermarket business.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #28
Dirt's72

Just want to share my experience with a replacement windshield to maybe help others. With info gathered here on the forum I wanted to use a precision gasket. I found a local guy in town whom was only one of two recommended to install mine. First guy whom I've been told is the best was too busy to do mine and will only do for dealerships and one restoration shop in town. Slim pickings for experienced glass installers on classic vehicles with the stainless trim. I provided the installer a precision gasket. He wanted to use the original gasket but I said just use the precision as I already had a water leak along the floorboard and kick panel on the driver side so I wanted to rule out the windshield as well the original gasket was sun beat and stiff. (Leak turned out to be from the door gasket). He did mention the steel brand rubber was the best and is what he uses. He did say precision gaskets were good just that he preferred the steel brand. He installed it with an unknown brand of windshield and the original stainless trim with the Precision gasket. It came out looking nice with trim lined up well but I noticed the gasket I could grab it with my fingers and it had a lot of play in it. First rain we had it leaked down the side and top of the glass inside the truck. I took it back and asked if we could try a Pilkington glass. He said ok fine but pointed out at the time of installation how thin it was. I thought well its a Pilkington so it should be good... Well after that was said and done it leaked water even worse. My windshield is the one posted in post #1 of this thread and reads crinamex by Vitro. I assumed it was a Pilkington like I had asked and he had said he got but I never looked till Pete had asked me if it said Pilkington on the glass. And no it didn't stupid me I should have figured something was wrong when he showed me how thin it was. He did say that's how all the windshields are nowadays.
So back at square one here I need to go to a plan C. I bought Pete's glass out of his Blazer which is an oem older thick style tinted just has a small scratch and not to standard for his build.
That's my story to be continued.
Dirt's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #29
CheyenneSuper72

Steele rubber is repackaged precision....I was told this directly from a precision employee when I was trying to get their help on this windshield issue. They are almost twice the price as the precision branded rubber. Does anyone have a nos gm rubber with the deep trim groove?
CheyenneSuper72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #30
67chevemall

I had to go look. Mine is Crinamex Mr cm43
Fits great in the oem rubber. Except for the big arse Crack.
I am going to try oem rubber with what ever summit sends me. I'll let you know what happens
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:06 PM   #31
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Bump. Anyone have recent windshield replacement experience to share?

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:59 PM   #32
Astro-Balls

The original windshields were caulked, I can post a few pics of the factory Caulking used by GM, its a semi stiff glazing compound, Tan in color.
Are the glass installers using a caulking? or just relying on the rubber gasket?
I don't think I will rely on just the gasket alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWK8GgWD4uA
Astro-Balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #33
suville

Any experience or knowledge of AMD glass ?
suville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:04 PM   #34
CheyenneSuper72

I have located a GM nos gasket to try but, I haven’t had time to pull it out and start over. I will post results once I do that.
CheyenneSuper72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #35
Astro-Balls

Just for reference, Auto City Classic Glass uses PMK Diamond Glass that comes from Thailand.
I will be installing a new windshield from them in a week or so, I will let you know how it fits.
https://www.autocityclassic.com/classic-auto-glass/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWK8GgWD4uA
Astro-Balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:25 PM   #36
Patrat

The way to tell who and where the windshield (or any glass in any car) came from is by the DOT number. That number is basically the license number from the DOT certifying that the glass meets federal standards.

Google DOT database then match the number on the glass you have.
Patrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:21 PM   #37
69Tom

So it seems like all the issues are with trucks with windshield trim. Any reported issues with Precision rubber and aftermarket glass and no trim?
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:29 AM   #38
3757chevy

I'll let you know next week what brand I get put in this year. My '67 step side w/shield was a year old in March , A truck kicked up a rock this week and cracked it. I'm scheduled for another next Thursday.
MIKE
3757chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:02 PM   #39
sprint_9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
So it seems like all the issues are with trucks with windshield trim. Any reported issues with Precision rubber and aftermarket glass and no trim?
Mine seemed okay, Precision Rubber, thin glass, no trim. It went in tough but I think that was down to lack of experience, I would think the second one would go easier.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:45 PM   #40
BROWN 70

hi guys, I worked for libby owens ford for 9 years in the early 70,s. LOF was considered top of the line at that time. LOF made gm replacement glass after I left for years. then in the late 90,s early 2000,s im not sure. Pilkington bought LOF that's why pilkinton glass is so good. they are made from LOF molds. but if they are made in china or wherever. all bets are off. I have a cinamex? in my 70 and its ok. it leaks at the top but I have trim also. I guess all you can do now is get whatever you can with a good gasket and go with it. BROWN 70
BROWN 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:09 AM   #41
3757chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3757chevy View Post
I'll let you know next week what brand I get put in this year. My '67 step side w/shield was a year old in March , A truck kicked up a rock this week and cracked it. I'm scheduled for another next Thursday.
FUYAO is what I got this time. Different installer this time .
Attached Images

MIKE
3757chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #42
Martyt

Per Pet’s recommendation, I used the Precision gasket. My glass installer was an old school San Diego guy who has been doing glass installs on classics for 40 years. He sourced green tint glass (with no blue band on top) but I don’t recall the brand. Could not be happier.