The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #1
randy500
Account Suspended

NOS tilt column parts are mostly junk

Indicator housings
99.9% of the time they are plastic which is not original to 70-72 trucks. If you have a metal one which you probably do, its not a part that wears out so there is no need for it. And these usually have a much rougher finish than the originally installed parts, pretty heavy sanding scratches. The originals were finished much smoother.

Indicator lens
Are always the van style large font which suck, they are totally wrong and everytime i see one in a nice truck it makes me want to scream. A completely wrong part.

Tilt pointers
Not available very often, worth having if reasonably priced but The aftermarket one is just as nice as the original, they periodically need replacement anyway. I dont think you can tell the difference between repro and NOS

Shift levers
These if reasonably priced and inspected in person can be a good value, problem is many of them have a poor finish prior to chrome. GM chrome if applied to a properly prepared part is vastly superior to anything Repro, problem is most of these have a rough finish.
The counterpart repro is very very nice chrome and fits perfect, it only cost $17 or so at classic parts.

Turn signal lever and tilt lever
If found buy it. You will probably break it trying to install the knob on them so be careful

Last edited by randy500; 09-08-2019 at 09:52 AM.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: NOS tilt column parts are mostly junk

The NOS lenses I’ve seen do not have embossed numbers and letters like the original pieces and appear silk screened. I polished oem examples and filled the embossed crevices using a white lacquer paint stick and they’ve turned out nicely.

The housing seems to be the part commonly damaged in shipping if not removed for packing.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
The NOS lenses I’ve seen do not have embossed numbers and letters like the original pieces and appear silk screened. I polished oem examples and filled the embossed crevices using a white lacquer paint stick and they’ve turned out nicely.

The housing seems to be the part commonly damaged in shipping if not removed for packing.
Agreed on polishing the lens and filling the letters.

The housings do get broken if plastic...should be metal and properly packed, the ones i have had damaged i could have packed better, problem with removing them is most people cant install them and strip the threads...they snap over raised screw holes and its a little tricky to do because the light bulb cover can also prevent the cover from snapping in place.....so i always ship it assembled, too tricky to explain how to install it to someone who has never seen one.
The light bulb cover is tricky to install if you've never done it or dont understand how it installs.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Agreed on polishing the lens and filling the letters.

The housings do get broken if plastic...should be metal and properly packed, the ones i have had damaged i could have packed better, problem with removing them is most people cant install them and strip the threads...they snap over raised screw holes and its a little tricky to do because the light bulb cover can also prevent the cover from snapping in place.....so i always ship it assembled, too tricky to explain how to install it to someone who has never seen one.
The light bulb cover is tricky to install if you've never done it or dont understand how it installs.
Yeah but what if you know somebody that is really good at rebuilding these and you took all the parts plus a column to him for rebuild? Hmmmm?
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #5
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Yeah but what if you know somebody that is really good at rebuilding these and you took all the parts plus a column to him for rebuild? Hmmmm?
I wrote this mostly for you....when i saw you snatch up what you think are great parts.
And for everyone else that has been buying the nos lens and plastic cover which has no place on on of these trucks, were fixing up trucks here, not vans! Those are van parts.

I wrote it to be helpful to all and to be leary of NOS, its not always better.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #6
randy500
Account Suspended

The good NOS is black print on white sticker stuff, made while the trucks were in production.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #7
randy500
Account Suspended

Petes post about polishing the lens and filling the letters back in is a great post.

Not everything can be NOS’d to new, some parts have to be refurbished.

For example, NOS tailgates and fenders suck too. Good original rust free fenders and tailgates have much crisper lines because they were stamped when the molds were in good condition.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #8
randy500
Account Suspended

Here is s picture of the various tilt lenses.

Top repro
Next 2 down are 2 van lenses, which are sold as NOS becauese i think they carried over the part number, 2 variations, one with L2 and L1, and one with 2 and 1, who cares, its a van part anyway.

Bottom original truck lens which has recessed letters.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #9
randy500
Account Suspended

Another picture showing the original lens is painted black at the bottom rear to control the light emitted from the rear. You should also note the plastic has a green tint to it just like the guage lens. The others are clear plastic.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2019, 04:19 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: NOS tilt column parts are mostly junk

Randy very good info if your going 100% correct on a build.

Not everyone is building a 100% 1967/1972 correct truck though. Most people just want a nice driver are a close as they can get, I'm building my daughters truck for her to drive it and to enjoy it. Not to show case what a 40 year old truck should be in perfect condition.

The van tilt and over drive indicator will work just fine for her.
As I stated nice info for 100% rebuild but it's not for everyone.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:32 PM   #11
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Randy very good info if your going 100% correct on a build.

Not everyone is building a 100% 1967/1972 correct truck though. Most people just want a nice driver are a close as they can get, I'm building my daughters truck for her to drive it and to enjoy it. Not to show case what a 40 year old truck should be in perfect condition.

The van tilt and over drive indicator will work just fine for her.
As I stated nice info for 100% rebuild but it's not for everyone.
Yep..

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #12
tj1970cst

I was a little perturbed about my repro not saying low 1 and low 2, but a shiny new one is ok compared to a cracked one
tj1970cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #13
randy500
Account Suspended

The point of the post is NOS tilt parts are usually van parts, no thank you for me.
As long as you know you that your buying van parts, have at it.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:09 PM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: NOS tilt column parts are mostly junk

Quote:
The point of the post is NOS tilt parts are usually van parts, no thank you for me.

Now this I understand.

Someone selling NOS as for a truck part but it's for a van I agree 100% with you. I don't mind buying a product that is truely a truck part and vise versa but don't lie about the part and want top dollar for it.

Like sells for a tribute vehicle. It's not the real deal so don't ask for the same price as a real one.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:14 PM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: NOS tilt column parts are mostly junk

Quote:
Randy look what I scored yesterday! My friend who helped me build my 71 and now helping me build my daughters 68 gave this to me for her truck.
No plastic here!
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-14-2019, 07:57 PM   #16
Andy4639
Old member

Some pictures after I cleaned it up good.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #17
Martyt

Love this thread— lots of knowledge from the posters— great info!!
Old 09-14-2019, 11:48 PM   #18
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Some pictures after I cleaned it up good.
Nice piece there!