The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2021, 01:39 PM   #1
RichardJ

door latch rod

I just finished installing new window rubber and felt on both doors. After finally getting the glass in the correct location on the channel, the driver door was finished up.

I've had a problem with the key and the lock button on the pass side for years and decided it was time to correct that problem once and for good, The latch rod has always banged around in there and made a lot of noise. I had previously tried bending it to keep from hitting anything with minimal success.

The rod as far as I know is original, but I believe i replaced the door handle relay because of a broken spring.

Here is my question. How long is the latch rod on the '67 door.
My rod measured 16 1/2" , outside of the bent end to outside. That length is with one small bend and the rod still dragged on the window regulator arms. At that length, the key and lock button almost worked. Bending the rod any straighter (longer) put the rod into the one roller and things really bound it. I had put the driver door completely back together and really didn't want to open it again.

I cut the rod and welded in a 1/2" extension.
With a suitable bend in the rod to clear the window regulator, the key and lock button now work PERFECTLY.

What problem did i fix? Do i have the wrong rod or the wrong door handle relay for a '67?

The windows don't rattle and roll easily, the pass door locks so easily. it is so much quieter overall and I think the AC might even work better. It was in the high 70s yesterday with a bright Sun.