The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
VA72C10
VA72C10

67-72 Air ride suspension shock part numbers/FAQ suggestion

First of all I did several searches Second, I do realize every application is different... What I am trying to do is put together a post with the part numbers for the commonly used shocks....Through search I found the shocks ART sends for the fronts with their kits are Monroe 33033. Wondering if anyone knows what rear shock is used in an application with bags on the trailing arms, 2" drop blocks, rear shock relocator brackets, and a C-notch. This is the most common setup I have read on here so thought it would be a useful number to have saved somewhere.

37029 look like the monroes to use on the rear with bag hats (1 1/2 on top so no holes drilled in the frame)...

We could also do several setups with listed parts/pieces which would likely eliminate 50-75% of the Suspension forum duplicate posts...

Shocks for front w/ bags and stock spindles
Shocks for rear w/bags and no drop block,
Shocks used w/ 4/6 drop
Shocks used w/ 3/5 drop
etc....

If we have several get on and post their brand/part number I think it would be helpful to all those (including me ) in the midst of an air ride install and those planning one in the future.

Last edited by VA72C10; 09-26-2012 at 03:54 PM.
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
michael bustamante

Re: 67-72 Air ride suspension shock part numbers/FAQ suggestion

this is a great idea as I could use this info myself
Old 09-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
michael bustamante

stopped at the local parts place this weekend and found out the monroe part # you give is for a 73-91 chevy truck. is this right?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
VA72C10
VA72C10

That is what I was told that they were for a 73-91...however, from what I understand, the shock could be for a ford pinto as long as the maximum and minimum dimensions are correct.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
VA72C10
VA72C10

Update... the Monroe 33033 has a travel of 4.5"

10.125 fully compressed and 14.625 fully extended...I will have to verify on my truck that they work for me once I get the front end back together...
Old 09-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
damnyankee36

This might come in handy...

http://www.monroe.com/catalog/docume...engthSheet.pdf
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:45 AM   #7
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnyankee36 View Post
Thanks. Hoping people continue to add links to items like this but more importantly real world info on what they used on their vehicle so we could make a FAQ and eliminate about 10 posts a week on this subject
Old 09-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #8
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
That is what I was told that they were for a 73-91...however, from what I understand, the shock could be for a ford pinto as long as the maximum and minimum dimensions are correct.
And compression and rebound can handle the weight of the vehicle...

And the mounts are correct or can be adapted...

I used to host an interactive spreadsheet tool for looking up what you needed based on compressed and extended heights, as well as end mounts, but the only comments I ever received on it were from complainers so I took it down. Funny, I used to get several dozen hits per week on the file... lots of looking for so much complaining.

Last edited by XXL; 09-19-2009 at 10:56 PM.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
dznucks

I just bagged my rear. I installed a CPP notch and a CPP crossmember. Dom 2600 bags. my compressed shock length is 14.5" air completely out and 21.5" max hieght. i found some shocks at Napa with a 14" compressed and 24" extended.

i'll get the part numbers and post them up.

i suggest bagging the truck first then going to get your shocks once you get your lengths.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznucks View Post
i suggest bagging the truck first then going to get your shocks once you get your lengths.
I prefer the "have a plan" approach, but if you're not trying to do the work in one sitting, your suggestion is probably fine.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
dznucks

Quote:
I prefer the "have a plan" approach, but if you're not trying to do the work in one sitting, your suggestion is probably fine.

everyones suspension is alittle different. whether its the c-notch, the panhard bar, bag type, trailing arms, shock mounts etc.

yes, you can "have a plan" and follow exactly what someone else has done and use all the same components and get the same results. or if you know that the mod's your going to install are going to give you a certain stroke, you can "have a plan" and get the shocks you need. The "have a plan" method you suggest will cause alot of, not so experienced people, to think they have the right shocks only to realize that they miss read a spreadsheet.

I read your spreadsheet, nice compilation of everything available on Monroes website. i was asking these same questions awhile back and realized that your spreadsheet was useless until i knew the specs on my suspension.

In the real world, most of us dont know exactly what our compressed and extended shock lengths will be until you install the bags, dump them and fill them. you can look at a spreadsheet, no matter how well it was created, all day and still not know exactly what you need until you physically measure your situation. sorting through and excel spreadsheet is not something everyone can do and some dont have excel to view it, yes there is a free download for excel....but really. people want answers and advice, not confussion.

you are bantering everyone for asking the same question, by whinning about some spreadsheet and how no one used the search feature. thats not advise. think of the image you are creating for your brand "XXL" by posting these lame responses. People are using the search feature and their questions are not being answered by the info available there. does that not tell you that there is soemthing amiss with the info you feel like you provided.

My "plan" for bagging my daily driver, over the two day weekend, was to get my compressed and extended lengths and take that info to NAPA and get the shocks i need. i did just that. notchs, bags, crossmember, and shocks...took less than two days.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #12
michael bustamante

dxnucks: did you ever get those part #s that worked out for you?
Old 09-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #13
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
yes, you can "have a plan" and follow exactly what someone else has done and use all the same components and get the same results.
Having a plan and copying someone else's design are 2 different things. There's nothing particularly wrong with either. "Stick building," on the other hand means you often end up with something less/different than you expected/wanted, and it often cost you more time and effort, and you've got a box of spare parts.

Quote:
In the real world, most of us dont know exactly what our compressed and extended shock lengths will be until you install the bags, dump them and fill them...
Planning could help here.

Quote:
people want answers and advice, not confussion.
All too often, people want answers without giving anything in return. This is a discussion board, not a "come get your answers here" board. Give and take. But that's not the posts I complain about. It's the ones where (often on post count #1) the poster wants someone to do something for them as some sort of entitlement just for being a member of the board.

Quote:
...think of the image you are creating for your brand "XXL" by posting these lame responses.
Some find my posts less lame than others. Since you're interested in seeing me post more advice... there is a feature in your UserCP called "Edit Irgnore List" that allows you to block all posts by a user. Just enter "XXL" (without the quotes) and press OK. You may enjoy the fewer "lame" posts by adding me to your list. I know I will after I add dznucks to mine. Bye bye.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #14
dznucks

It was Part # 37029.

Attributes
Lower Mount : L1
Shock Compressed Length : 14.375"
Shock Dust Shield : Yes
Shock Extended Length : 23.000"
Shock Parts Pack Part # : None
Shock Travel Length : 8.625"
Upper Mount : L1

I made 1 1/2" bag hats that are on top of the bags, so if you dont use hats you'll need shorter ones.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #15
michael bustamante

what are bag hats? what do they do?
Old 09-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #16
dznucks

upper bag spacers, basically. i didnt feel like drilling all the holes through the notch, frame, and spring pad.

i cant find the thread where i found this picture. mine are very similar to this.
i bought the lower plate from air lift. it already had the bolt holes and fitting hole as well as the nut welded on. $15/each.
then i had the ring made out of schedule 40 pipe with the opening cut out at a local fab shop. $25.
and i welded them myself.

i made them 1 1/2" becasue the fittings were 1 3/8" tall when tightened down.

i am resizing all my pics from last weekends install and plan on posting the install soon.

I am going to add 1 1/2 in spacers to the rear to compensate when i remove the trailings arms to install new poly bushings.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #17
michael bustamante

I made those spacers with the exact specs as yours for my rear upper air bags. worked out great and I have access to my airline fitting if I ever need to replace it
Old 09-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #18
dznucks

sorry.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #19
dznucks

that may be your spacers in the picture.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #20
lo72
Truck Junkie

dznucks, i have the same setup as you and some 2 inch blocks thanks for the tip on the shocks, i've been looking at charts for way too long. how tall are your bags at ride height? front and rear
lo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #21
dznucks

i only have the rear bags in now. i need to install and plumb my air management system before i do the fronts.

since my bags are set up to be manually aired up for now, i set the ride height back to where it was with the 3/4 ECE drop. the bag heights might be 5 inch at ride height. i am not happy with how compressed the bags are.
i dont think there is even 20psi of air in them. thats why i want the axle spacers. hopefully its going to allow me to inflate the bags another 1 1/2 in. and i would like to be running closer to 30psi once those are in.

how tall are your bags at ride height and what psi are you running?
what air management system do you have?
Old 09-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #22
lo72
Truck Junkie

Not that far a long yet i have the rear bags in and 2 in blocks....i have a thomas 327 compressor, 1/4 inch line, a set of big red valves and i'll get a three gallon tank ...just asking a lot of questions trying to avoid mistakes wasting dollars. specs on the bags call for a 9.7 inch stroke with a 6-9 inch ride height, hoping for 7 or 8 inches at ride height..we'll see.
lo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #23
dznucks

ask away. PM if you need to.

my bags are about 5.25" at the current ride height. Add 1.5" for the hat/spacers and its at 6.75 inch between the trailing arm and spring plate. i would like my bags to be more around 7" at ride height when i add the axle spacers. with the ece 4" rear drop springs i was at 7".

i'm not going for slammed, just low.

Last edited by dznucks; 09-22-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #24
dznucks

Here is a pic of the bag at ride height.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2009, 11:41 PM   #25
SCOTI

Quote:
i cant find the thread where i found this picture. mine are very similar to this.
I posted those up for someone wanting to know about not drilling the holes in the frame. I made those for my 68 & then removed them almost immediately 'cause they wouldn't let me get the ride height I wanted @ a decent air pressure.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote