The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2003, 01:48 PM   #26
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I have Craftsman tools, my dad and grandpa were hard-core Sears guys, and we have alot of older Craftsman hand and power tools.

However, i agree the new stuff isn't that great. Their 3/8" ratchets suck, period. Still is good for the money. Snap-On tools are proably the best out there, but they cost 3-4 times what Craftsman tools cost, and for a weekend mechanic like myself, there is no way i could justify the cost. If i was using them everyday, i would pay the extra, but i just don't think Snap-On tools are worth it for how much i use them
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 02:48 PM   #27
cdowns

CRAFTSMAN because they're alot easier to replace under warrenty than snap-on, although the snap-on is alot better quality they few snap-on tools i've had over the years nothing but problems trying to replace one under warrenty at least sears you just walk in and in less than 5minutes you walk out brand-new no problems
I'm another who buys broken crap at flea-markets , yard sales and just goes to sears for new replacements
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:05 PM   #28
truckster

I've been buying Craftsman for 25 years. I've had snap-on, but like others, my experience is they're only interested if they can sell you something new.

I've bought a few tools at Harbor Freight. My 20-ton press works great, but the exhaust tubing expander I bought fell apart on the first turn of the wrench.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:11 PM   #29
Ackattack

A warranty isn't any good if you can't use it.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:49 PM   #30
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

Location: salt lake city, utah Home of the 3 M's Mormons, methlabs and minivans
I dont understand you guys who are having problems with getting Snap on tools warranteed. When I moved to Salt Lake, I had a snap on ratchet that was a military issue. Those are not supposed to be warranteed. The first time I met my dealer, I walked on his truck and he fixed it. No questions asked. I think you guys that are having problems need to find another dealer, or call their boss. Snap on is as big as they are because of a lot of things, warrany being one of them.
94 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4/6 drop w/ 18's and 2500watt system (work truck). 67 Chevy swb under const. frame off custom, 20's, bagged and a large rat under the hood,and a 1940 Chevy truck under const.
Chevy Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 06:06 PM   #31
cableguy0

i agreee with chevy wrench call snap on's corporate office i bet you wont have a problem with a dealer anymore. i have blatantly misused and abused snap on tools with my dealer standing there and he will warrant anything i break doesnt matter how it broke or how i was using it. if it says snap on i get a new one if i break it.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 06:07 PM   #32
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

For the most part I got Craftsman. Its just too damn hard to get Snap-On to exchange their stuff when it breaks. I thought it was just me but just the other day I heard that the local air base is even changing over to Craftsman tools because they are having a heck of a time getting the Snap-On people to honor their warranties.

I found corporate to be just as bad. I even emailed the corporate office told them of my problem where I lived what tool I had and what part I needed and they told me to go to their store. If memory serves me they told me it was in Utah. Like that was a lot of help from them

Last edited by Maximum Overdrive; 10-20-2003 at 06:11 PM.
Maximum Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 06:13 PM   #33
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

Craftsman...... There are only 4 major tool manufacturers in the U.S.
Snapon and Matco tools cost more because they are heavier chromed....... But they are all made by at least one of those 4 major manufacturers. Then you have the imported stuff(junk). Stanley Tool is one of them. This is FACT.

Last edited by 67Fleetsidedream; 10-20-2003 at 06:15 PM.
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 06:27 PM   #34
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Craftsman guy here,too.I like their stuff.I never have warranty problems and I am only 6 blocks from Sears.I would like to have a set of thin wall Snap-0n sockets and wrenches for tight spots.I like the thicker handles on the Crafty stuff cause my hands are a bit bigger.I even use Crafty at work where I do industrial maintainence.Most of my wood working tools are Crafty but I usually buy Northern Industrial pro stuff for air tools.
If I was a full time auto mechanic I would probably get brainwashed by the Snap-0n man too.I know at least 30-40 pro mechanics and most of them pay the Snap-0n man every week their whole life.They buy stuff because their account balance has dropped below a couple hundred $$$.I will have to admit the Snap-0n people make a lot of specialty stuff that isn't readily available anywhere else,but it sure will eat up a weekenders toolbudget quick.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 06:48 PM   #35
BtnkBndt
Pennyless Fool

Strange it was mentioned. Just this weekend my wife came out to the garage wandering what all the excitement was. Those #!@&% Craftsman ratchets. I threw three of em (all 3/8 drive) across the garage, driveway, and up against the brickwall across the alley from under the truck while muddering some four letter english ALOUD! Got to make a trip to the MALL!!! I HATE the MALL!!! Its all because I pocketed that broken screwdriver off the ground at the junkyard the other day thinking "Freebee!"

Mine are mostly all Craftsman. I too have started getting some of the Husky stuff, but the HomeDepots around here have really cut back on thier selection. Just picked up a nice set of shorty wrenches there. Also got a deal at Lowes on some Cresent reversing ratcheting wrenches, 15 bucks for a five piece set.
BtnkBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 07:06 PM   #36
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Box: Snap-on tomali cart
Hand tools: Craftsman and some Snap-on for specialty tools
Air tools: I like the Ingersol Rand
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 07:47 PM   #37
Denny

Most of my older hand tools are Craftsman and S&k. I have some Blackhawk tools and some snapons. I agree the newer Craftsman stuff is not too good. I had to buy a set of Blackhawk line fitting wrenches because my Craftsman ones were expanding on stainless fittings.
1969 Chevy C10. Dakota Digital Gauges, 383 Votex Engine, MSD 8361 Distributor, MSD 6A Unit, Demon Carb, Phoenix Transmission 4L80E trans, 3:73 Posi Rear End
Early Classics 6 Lug Disc Brakes and Spindles
All Stainless Lines
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 07:58 PM   #38
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i am an avid do it yourselfer and backyard mechanic ive worked as a real mechanic and i swear by craftsman. I used to like SK and Snapon until they both got wise here and insist any broken regular socket is used on an air tool. Sears i drive up and get a new one right away i dont need the hassle of the 50 questions when i return a broken tool. craftsman rool aways and carpenter tools are good too

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:14 PM   #39
TODDS 72
Not the nightly winner

i've been useing and buying snapon tools for 23 years,i can't figure out all the trouble you guys are having geting stuff fixed or replaced.just today i had a semi deep 17mm chrome socket replaced that i split when useing my 3/8 snapon air gun on friday.your dealers must suck and i beleave you should call snapon if you do,not the dealer but snapon corpret office.my mac dealer sux big time,always a 100 questions and hard to get a hold of,but thats his loss.i'll just keep giving snapon 250.00 aweek.plus mac tools is owed by stanly tools.i do have alot of craftsmen tools that work ok,but look at a snapon socket and a craftsmen theres no comparing snapon is made to work.if your wrenchin at home go to sears,if your wrenching in a shop go snapon....this is imo...
69gmc c10 v8 3 on the tree yellow 72k10 swb 350 3 on the tree green
86k15 swb5.0L 4spd brown
TODDS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:59 PM   #40
cableguy0

i agree with todds 72 have only been dealing with snap on myself for about 2 years but my dad has for 20++ years and in those been in a lot of different shops with a lot of different dealers and has only had one that was a pain. im sorry you guys have had bad experiences with snap on i personally never have except realizing how much i just paid for a tool sometimes but imo they cost is worth it. i dont break near as much snap on as i have cracksmen
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:13 PM   #41
Scott Johnson

Mostly craftsman, have a new set of Huskys and I really like them.

www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
Scott Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:19 PM   #42
lock
Insert funny comment.

Mostly Craftsman in my toolbox(which is craftsman too). Cant beat the quality/warrenty/price for the weekend mechanic. Especially when you shop Sears at Christmas and Fathers day. They just about give tools away.

My favorite ratchet is a Snap On though that my dad gave me.

Husky is good too. They pass my brothers "throwing" test. I couldnt believe his ratchet survived like a champ after being slammed on a conrete floor and bouncing 20 feet in one of his rants.

-My Build Thread...

-68 C10, LT1 - Undergoing Frame off resto
-86 IROC-Z T72 turbo 355, M6
-70 Camaro

http://www.iroc-ss.com
lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:22 PM   #43
Mechanic

Snap-On.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:17 AM   #44
EJ

Quote:
Then you have the imported stuff(junk). Stanley Tool is one of them. This is FACT.
Show me the facts. I own mostly Stanley made Proto tools.
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 12:44 AM   #45
Chevy67Tk

90% Craftsman 10% Others Snap On, Mac, Etc. and like a lot of the others went with Craftsman mostly because of the convenience of replacement. Never had a problem with Snap On replacing a broken item, but getting a driver to come out to the boonies on a regular bases was not worth the hassles. A broken $65.00 ratchet is useless if it takes a month for the driver to come back to the shop. My boxes are also Craftsman and Stak-on with a homemade bottom box.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2003, 01:55 AM   #46
supercheyenne

Quote:
Originally posted by EJ

Show me the facts. I own mostly Stanley made Proto tools.
Here's Stanley complaining to the Govt. that their "imported" tools should be labeled "Made in the USA".

http://www.ftc.gov/opp/madeusa2/c647.htm
supercheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 02:06 AM   #47
dtlilly
Account Suspended

WOW, Stanley sure spent a lot of money for attorneys to draft that letter. I wonder what the result of that action was since 1996?
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 02:35 AM   #48
Alexis
Member since 2000

Craftman mainly, IR airtools, Miller welder. Craftmans air tools are sht. Going to start buying snap-on tools though. Most of the snap-on guys here are real cool and give better prices since theres alot of competition. Nice to be able to see 5 snap-on trucks a day almost better the sears that 5 mins away.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 02:48 AM   #49
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

Location: salt lake city, utah Home of the 3 M's Mormons, methlabs and minivans
You know, I've been noticing something about this board latley. Subjects seem to get off topic pretty quick. I beleive the question was "What are your tool preferances"? Not, "Lets bragg about brand "C" and rag on brand "S". In my opinion, I think it comes down to this. Alot of you guys/gals dont work on cars for a living, therefore you have no idea how a tool gets abused. Every tool WILL break, thats life. But I think the more important issue is how offten will it break. Some "mall" brand tools are great. They are cheap, but then you get what you pay for. If you had to use them every day, I think in a matter of days, you would be lining up to get on board, or should I say "brainwashed". Do we harp on a car painter because he just layed down $800.00 for a new HVLP spray gun? Do we question a hospital when they just purchased new x ray equipment for 30 grand? No we dont. So what is the differance? Professionals demand the best equipment that money can buy. Just because the brand doesnt sponsor some redneck truck racing series, does not mean that their brand is inferior or otherwise. I dont mean to offend anybody, but if I did, then Im talking about you. Come on guys, lets stick to the topics! This is only my opinion, afterall its still "We The People", right?
94 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4/6 drop w/ 18's and 2500watt system (work truck). 67 Chevy swb under const. frame off custom, 20's, bagged and a large rat under the hood,and a 1940 Chevy truck under const.
Chevy Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 07:15 AM   #50
TODDS 72
Not the nightly winner

well said chevy wrench...
69gmc c10 v8 3 on the tree yellow 72k10 swb 350 3 on the tree green
86k15 swb5.0L 4spd brown
TODDS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote