The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #1
jfnar

Starter won't disengage

I went to my parents' house to check on them at lunch and when I was leaving I started my truck but the starter wouldn't disengage. I tried several times and it eventually seemed to disengage normally and I started down the road. Got only a few yards before I heard the starter whirring. I had to back it into their yard and borrow their truck to go back to work. Any suggestions on the cause of this? Never happened before. 68 gmc with 292 straight 6. Any help will be appreciated.
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:31 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Starter won't disengage

If you haven't been into the wiring, the Bendix drive probably took a dump on you. If you pull the starter, you would be able to see if the spring is bad and not returning the drive out of the flywheel, back into the starter. That would be my first step.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

The first thing I would do is pull the S wire and jump the starter solenoid with the key on and let the engine start. If the starter hangs, this will tell you that the problem is in the starter not the electrical circuit and then you can pull the starter. If it doesn't do it then you'll know that it's in the key switch or the wiring to the starter.

Be sure to have the trans in neutral or park and or jack the rear end off the ground. We don't want any accidents. You could unplug the NSS if you didn't want to take the S wire off the solenoid.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Starter won't disengage

I had a similar thing happen to my 64 SS Impala a few weeks ago. The car started and the key switch hung up in the start position. I had to pop the HEI connector off to stop it. The key switch was my problem. It just gave up and feel a part inside. It was little pieces when I finally got it out of the dash.
Listen to Vette he knows his electrical stuff.
Mine was a straight forward problem.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #5
jfnar

It's apparently an issue with the switch. I found I had 5 v at the solenoid post any time the key was on. With that wire removed, I could jump it at the starter and start it with no noise but the engine would die immediately. I put a jumper wire straight from the battery + to the distributor and started it with the key off to load it onto my trailer. I haven't looked under the dash yet but I think there may be a short caused by the oil pressure line. It felt pretty hot when I touched it under the hood. I have a new switch on order so I'll start with a new switch and inspect the wires. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by jfnar; 09-15-2020 at 12:29 PM.
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote