The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-25-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Doing something sneaky for christmas.

So I have a friend who has been a damn good friend to me, I actually owe him quite a bit. He has helped me through a pretty bad time in my life. Well, This year I am being afforded the opportunity to give one back to him.

The past couple of years I have been going to welding school, and he and I have frequently discussed me making a new bumper for his truck since he had a little fender bender about 8 months ago and in the process messed up his bumper pretty good.

Well, here a few weeks ago when I sold my blazer he loaned me the use of his truck until I get my 89 blazer going so I can drive it. Well I sat down a few days ago and started designing the bumper for his truck while I have had it here in my possession.

I presented the design to him a few days ago, and he really liked it, so I told him merry Christmas, that is what I was getting him this year, a set of prints for a new bumper. Well little does he know I have spent the last 2 days blowin and goin building said bumper, and tomorrow night when I go over to his house for Christmas dinner, It will be mounted on his truck.

Above you can see where I am at so far, it has taken a ton of work to get here, a lot of measuring and cutting, and measuring and cutting and you get the idea. Right now it is all just tack welded, and I still have quite a few pieces to cut and add to it.

Tonight I am trying to have the bumper its self all tacked out, and start welding on it, then tomorrow I can finish welding it, and get the brackets built, and install it on the truck.

The truck it is going on is a 2001 dodge ram. Now I know I know, I posted this in the 67-72 Chevy trucks board, why is it pertinant? well this one is practice, I am getting used to using my new Millermatic 212 MIG

and I will be building a new frame for my 72 C/30 as I convert it to a 4x4, and also it is going to get a bumper of similar construction.

In the picture below you can see the sag in the frame if you look close.

As well my 89 blazer is going to get a custom set of bumpers too.

But first things first, I need to finish this bumper out, and then get the blazer running again so as that I have some wheels.

Am I a busy frickin little elf or what?