The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
barmanvarn

Re: Routine Brake Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
Be smart and replace all four wheel cylinders , three flex hoses and prolly the master cylinder too ~ your LIFE depends on good brakes .

When you're cleaning the various hydraulic parts , only THREE things may be used ~ alcohol , brake cleaner or brake fluid .

NOTHING ELSE as any other chemicals will attack the rubber seals , you cannot clean them after they've been washed in gasoline , wd-40 etc.

Have fun and remember : only take ONE SIDE apart at a time ! you're going to have it apart a while waiting parts and leaving the opposite side assembled , allows you to look at it and figure out where all those little parts go .
I agree with everything you said.

Eventually all of the braking system will be restored and fully functional. For now I'm just shooting to get some semblance of braking so I can move it in and out of the shop under it's own power. That way I'm not stuck working on it in the yard. LOL

Of course I want it safe and roadworthy at some point, but I know that that is a LONG ways away. I'll be happy if I can just drive it across the yard (and stop) at 5 MPH.
barmanvarn is offline   Reply With Quote