The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2018, 10:09 PM   #1
Custom-CAMper

69 C20 Disc brake conversion issues

I have been working on swapping my C20 to disk brakes and have ran across a couple of issues. In this conversion, the spindles sit out farther that the stock drum spindles, and thus the stock 69 tie rods are too short. In the conversion kit I purchased, the tie rods that were included are too long on the drivers side, but are fine on the passenger side. If there a certain length of tie rod that works for this conversion? I am still using the stock drag link.

Also, the new front spindles came with 9/16" wheel studs which do not match the Dana 60 1/2" wheel studs on the read end. Those of you who have done similar conversions, is it a good idea to convert the rear wheel studs to 9/16" so they match? If so, can this be done without machine work on the rear axles?Thanks.
Custom-CAMper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Re: 69 C20 Disc brake conversion issues

No help for the tie rods.
But my 68 has a squarebody front crossmember swap and 9/16'' studs and 1/2'' in the rear hasnt been a real issue.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

My kit came with the correct parts for the tie rods, so I don't know what to tell you there. Who did you buy it from? I ran into the same thing with the lug nuts, but it's a simple matter to have two different size sockets for the front and rear. I'm not going to drill the hubs and drums just for the sake of having the same size lug nuts. That's a waste of money, for me.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
Custom-CAMper

This kit came from Performance Online, and so far I have been very impressed with the quality of parts. The tie rods are very good quality, just too long. The measurements I am getting are 7.5" from center of grease fitting to end of thread for the inner, and 6.75" for the outer tie rod. What are some common lengths of tie rods for these years trucks?

As long as the difference in wheel stud sizes do not affect possible wheel sizing issues, then it should be fine. Just asking to see if any issues had popped up.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:21 AM   #5
rpmerf

Curious, do you have part numbers for the supplied inner and outer tie rod ends? Are you using a stock adjuster or a conversion one?

I think it is odd that it fits on one side but not the other. Might be be able to center it up, then pull off and recenter the steering wheel? are you sure the wheel is 100% centered, by how far it tuns side to side (not by the position of the wheel as it may had been removed / reinstalled).

A while back I found an online copy of Moog's parts catalog with tie rod lengths, shank diameter, threads. Might be able to look up the tie rod for a 70, 71, 73 and compare the differences.

I already have different lugs with the HO52 larger lugs on the rear, and smaller ones on my front drums. Shipped from the factory this way, so it should be fine.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
ryans69chevy

Post some pics of the setup. It seems strange that one side fits while the other doesn't. Maybe the supplier sent you the wrong ones? Have you called them to ask? If that is a normal issue, maybe you could use a band saw and cut some threads off the tie rods? Just enough so you can still have play for an alignment.

As far as wheel studs, if that will bug you, you could just get some new ones pressed in in the Dana 60 flanges couldn't you?
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:05 AM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans69chevy View Post
Post some pics of the setup. It seems strange that one side fits while the other doesn't. Maybe the supplier sent you the wrong ones? Have you called them to ask? If that is a normal issue, maybe you could use a band saw and cut some threads off the tie rods? Just enough so you can still have play for an alignment.

As far as wheel studs, if that will bug you, you could just get some new ones pressed in in the Dana 60 flanges couldn't you?
Wrong ones wouldn't be a surprise. I got damaged and missing parts with my disc brake conversion setup, never a resolution, even after conversing via PM here. YMMV

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #8
Custom-CAMper

(2) Pictures are of the passenger side which seem to fit. (2) pictures are of the drivers side with the adjusting sleeve bottomed out. As you can see the wheel is sticking way out. This is with the gearbox in the center of rotation.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #9
rpmerf

There is a major difference between the left and right. I would be looking into that. Given that both inner tie rods are the same length, and both outer tie rods are the same length, your center link is heavily bias towards the drivers side. You say the steering box is in the middle of it's travel. I believe something is not lined up right.

Is it possible the pitman arm isn't aligned correctly on the steering box, or the center link is in backwards?

I'm wondering if you have a bad pitman arm. I know it sounds crazy but I got one for my 97 suburban. Put it in and my steering wheel was 45* off. Googled around, it was a common problem, company had a bad casting that was a tooth or 2 off.

EDIT:
Wondering, if you pull the pass side in, can you get it to ~ 0 toe?
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote