The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
j.rigby15r

ignition switch wiring and under hood.

So here is were I'm at. 64 c10 with a sbc 350 and a th350 transmission. I am trying to figure out the ignition wiring. The trick did not run when I bought it. I am trying to undo a mess load of PO shabby wiring.

On the ignition switch (none of the wires are the right color) I know the purple wire goes to the starter. And a wire goes to the distributor ( I think it's supposed to be pink). But what terminal does it hook up to on the switch? What other wires are on the switch and were do they go?

My starter I simply have a wire going from the battery to the large post and the purple wire on the small inside post. Do I need anything else?

Alternator I believe is a three wire delco. It has a battery post and two terminals labeled 1 and 2. I have a strong red wire that comes off from behind the drivers side headlight that was bundled with a blue and a white wire. I ran a wire from the 2 terminal to the battery post on the alternator and then plugged the blue wire into the 1 terminal. Any issues with that? I think that's how it was ran before.
j.rigby15r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: ignition switch wiring and under hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.rigby15r View Post
So here is were I'm at. 64 c10 with a sbc 350 and a th350 transmission. I am trying to figure out the ignition wiring. The trick did not run when I bought it. I am trying to undo a mess load of PO shabby wiring.
I thought I had replied to your post but here it is again

On the ignition switch (none of the wires are the right color) I know the purple wire goes to the starter. And a wire goes to the distributor ( I think it's supposed to be pink). But what terminal does it hook up to on the switch? What other wires are on the switch and were do they go?

Here is a diagram of the 64 cab harness with the key switch in the top center. You will have a red power input wire and a pink wire for the ignition that goes to the firewall connector after it tees with two other pink wires. When it comes out in the engine side it will be an orange whit purple wire that goes to the ignition coil. That is a resistance wire to prevent the coil from overheating and failing.

Name:  64_wiring_page2.jpg
Views: 22581
Size:  96.5 KB

My starter I simply have a wire going from the battery to the large post and the purple wire on the small inside post. Do I need anything else?

This is the stock diagram of your engine harness showing your starter wiring and the alternator wiring.

Name:  ChevyC101965-EngineHarness-COLOR.jpg
Views: 34441
Size:  93.5 KB

Alternator I believe is a three wire delco. It has a battery post and two terminals labeled 1 and 2. I have a strong red wire that comes off from behind the drivers side headlight that was bundled with a blue and a white wire. I ran a wire from the 2 terminal to the battery post on the alternator and then plugged the blue wire into the 1 terminal. Any issues with that? I think that's how it was ran before.
Here is the correct way to wire the SI alternator and the blue wire goes to the horn relay from no.2 . You can loop it over to the large red wire on the back of the alternator but it will not be as efficient as it will if it is run to the horn relay.

The main thing to do is to connect the brown wire that runs from the firewall connector to the old external voltage regulator, to the no. 1 on the alternator. You can extend it with the white wire or use a piece of brown wire.

Here is the diagram with the conversion shown.

Name:  Copy of ChevyC101965-EngineHarness-COLOR.jpg
Views: 13207
Size:  92.9 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Just for the purpose of reducing voltage drop and allowing for a super stout charging system (on the modified diagram) in case you want to add relay powered headlights, electric fan, etc. I would suggest running a larger (4-8 ga., depending on add-ons) wire lead from the alternator charge post to the horn relay bussbar. The larger the supply lead, the lower the voltage drop when running all of your accessories.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
j.rigby15r

If I am running hei do I still run a yellow wire from the starter to the hei coil? Also can someone dumb down the ignition switch wiring, I see it on the diagram but don't understand it.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
j.rigby15r

The reason I ask about the ignition switch wiring is I don't have the stock pigtail that connects to the switch. The wires are all lose so I don't really know where each wire connects to the switch.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
If I am running hei do I still run a yellow wire from the starter to the hei coil? Also can someone dumb down the ignition switch wiring, I see it on the diagram but don't understand it.
Somehow I knew that that question was going to come up. The short answer is no. If you go to HEI you need a full 12 volts to the distributor all time.

Quote:
The reason I ask about the ignition switch wiring is I don't have the stock pigtail that connects to the switch. The wires are all lose so I don't really know where each wire connects to the switch.
Look at these switches and note the initials on the bottom by the terminals. You will wire the switch according to the terminal by that initial.
The red power wire will go to the bat terminal.
The pink wire will go to the ign terminal.
The purple wire will go to the ST terminal for starter.
The brown stripe wire will go to ACC if you have ACC or to IGN if you don't.
The green wire should go to the GRND or ground terminal if you have the idiot light dash. There may also be a brown wire from the brake warning that goes there. Refer to my first diagram in the first post.

Name:  2013-05-04 - Ignition Switches - 03.jpg
Views: 6844
Size:  53.1 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
j.rigby15r

You guys are so amazing. I honestly appreciate your help. This wiring has gotten me to the point were I was about to abandon my build. Be cause some idiots dont know how to wire stuff (including myself, i at least do it right when i do it). But now I have all the information I need to get this truck on the road.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:00 AM   #8
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Saved for reference.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:34 AM   #9
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Saved for reference.
Yep. Me too.