The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #51
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: I waited

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68basket View Post
Andy, from reading a lot of your posts you drive you truck A LOT including across the country on power tour. I am worried for you that you are going to have problems with the setup you are trying to use and worst case be stranded somewhere or just be unhappy with the performance of the system. There has been a lot of good information posted in this thread.
I'm not going to install it until the house closing goes through and see where the money stop's. If I have enough left over I'm going to buy the Accuair valves system. Not the e system but may buy it later to add. I really don't like having to run all the air lines up to the cab for gauges. Yes there is a lot of good info here.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #52
68basket

Re: I waited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I'm not going to install it until the house closing goes through and see where the money stop's. If I have enough left over I'm going to buy the Accuair valves system. Not the e system but may buy it later to add. I really don't like having to run all the air lines up to the cab for gauges. Yes there is a lot of good info here.

My wagon is the first vehicle i have installed air ride on. You can find the whole build thread in the alternate section.
I went straight for a full blown accuair elevel setup with 2 tanks 2 compressors etc. Functionality it is awesome to just tap a button and it goes straight to ride height and dont have to worry about it. The install definitely took some time and patience to get it right.

My 2nd car i put air ride on was a very simple manual valve setup from ezair ride on my brothers 64 chevelle. Much more simple to setup and the speed of it is quicker than i was expecting.

Bottom line as with any parts for our rides is you get what you pay for and a well setup system using less complicated parts can sometimes be the best. As mentioned above if you simply replace your springs with the air springs and do not either cup the lower arms or go with drop spindles and blocks in the rear you truck will not be able to ride very low and it will also not air out very low when you drop all the air out.

I am happy to help or answer questions based on my limited experience with air ride.
68basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #53
clemsonteg

Quote:
Even with the Accuair manifold you will need air lines in the cab for gauges unless you run digital gauges.
clemsonteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #54
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonteg View Post
Even with the Accuair manifold you will need air lines in the cab for gauges unless you run digital gauges.
Accuair's E-level system uses NO gauges.
Only ride height sensors.

If you are just using the VU4 valve manifold and Speed Switch controller,... you should add gauges to monitor your air pressures.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:33 PM   #55
Andy4639
Old member

The SwitchSpeed kit,
was the one I was looking at. It has the presets correct so you can learn the settings and just hit the buttons I thought. I could run the gauges I guess but was hoping to not have to.

I could mount them out under the bed cover are some where besides the cab!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #56
68basket

Quote:
The SwitchSpeed kit,
was the one I was looking at. It has the presets correct so you can learn the settings and just hit the buttons I thought. I could run the gauges I guess but was hoping to not have to.

I could mount them out under the bed cover are some where besides the cab!
Switchspeed is not the same as elevel with pre set ride heights.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #57
MattPSU

Andy,

I ran my air lines for gauges into the cab using an existing hole in the firewall. See attached pictures. I've circled the hole I'm using and I circled the lines coming into the cab as they are now.

I removed the existing grommet and replaced it with one with a larger ID. No new hole required. You might be able to remove the clutch cover and run them in there too. I'm not sure without looking if that would be a good location or not.

But trust me, you'll want to be able to see your gauges as your driving. That way you'll know if there's a problem, and you can add or remove air to adjust the ride accordingly.

- Matt
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #58
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPSU View Post
Andy,

I ran my air lines for gauges into the cab using an existing hole in the firewall. See attached pictures. I've circled the hole I'm using and I circled the lines coming into the cab as they are now.

I removed the existing grommet and replaced it with one with a larger ID. No new hole required. You might be able to remove the clutch cover and run them in there too. I'm not sure without looking if that would be a good location or not.

But trust me, you'll want to be able to see your gauges as your driving. That way you'll know if there's a problem, and you can add or remove air to adjust the ride accordingly.

- Matt
Well I knew it would get seen sooner are later but I was going to try and get it done before Anderson but doesn't look like it. Thanks Matt. I was just hating to have all that in the cab. I don't mind the hole as much as the gauges.
The house contract was signed by all the parties this morning so the house buying will be going through I guess and hope will know something by the end of this month.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #59
clemsonteg

I am pretty happy with my AirLift AutoPilot V2. I still have air lines in the cab because they were there from my DLoe valve setup and I wanted to mount the valves inside the cab out of the elements. It works in automatic or manual mode, allows me to rise to a particular pressure each time and I can view/modify the pressure on the control pad.

With the switchspeed and no gauges, I am not sure how you would know you are at ride height. It looks to me like the presets aren't for pressure, but for valve speed to adjust how the bags fill. More than once I overfilled my bags using the manual setup because of lack of speed control.
clemsonteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #60
Andy4639
Old member

Unhappy Re: I waited

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonteg View Post
I am pretty happy with my AirLift AutoPilot V2. I still have air lines in the cab because they were there from my DLoe valve setup and I wanted to mount the valves inside the cab out of the elements. It works in automatic or manual mode, allows me to rise to a particular pressure each time and I can view/modify the pressure on the control pad.

With the switchspeed and no gauges, I am not sure how you would know you are at ride height. It looks to me like the presets aren't for pressure, but for valve speed to adjust how the bags fill. More than once I overfilled my bags using the manual setup because of lack of speed control.
From what I have found on the web site its just a setting for how fast the fill are air out. So the gauges will have to be used.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #61
68basket

Quote:
From what I have found on the web site its just a setting for how fast the fill are air out. So the gauges will have to be used.
If your desires are to have elevel and no gauges......dont waste money on the switchspeed setup. Go straight to the elevel.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:01 PM   #62
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68basket View Post
If your desires are to have elevel and no gauges......dont waste money on the switchspeed setup. Go straight to the elevel.
I wished I could! I may can but I don't know if I can wait that long!
I finally drove it to work today. I got the air fittings all leak free to the front helper bags yesterday and tied into the dual gauges.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-06-2016, 11:56 PM   #63
jeffg1010

Hey Andy,

Cant wait to see your truck sitting low. Post some pics when ya get 'er eating weeds.
1986 C30 Crewcab - 63K original miles, original paint

Members I have met: mikey531, gcburdic, bashed, burbman69, TonyPieras, Blazester, GCncsuHD, custombuilt67-72, tsnow678, highrpm, PanelDeland, tanman722001, 47thriftmaster, babyblueoval, 68stepbed, JesseWebb, Andy4639, xs-style, TobyArnot, BigOrange, frednoah, brn_agn, k5hart, Graham57a, bhelton, AJohn6, SilverC10, 69CST, '71 Flame, RaceAGMC, Liz, Josh, MattPSU, 68corvair, Chevy350V8, mdeal, ccrorymc, mrhurt73, dmxxpert, Custom68, 84GMC, BionicABs1, BigBlockBurris, Ebfabman, ATP...
jeffg1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #64
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg1010 View Post
Hey Andy,

Cant wait to see your truck sitting low. Post some pics when ya get 'er eating weeds.
Thanks,
you know I will! I don't know about eating weeds but I hope it looks better than now.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-07-2016, 01:12 PM   #65
dec010974

hey Andy4639. Hit me up when you get a chance. I just read this thread today and I wasn't aware you so many questions. Ill help you as much as I can.
Attached Images

dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote