The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Part Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2005, 10:25 PM   #1
51panel

51 panel need help on IFS

Just got 51 Chevy Panel 1/2 ton. Want to make it my daily driver. Body is in great shape, drive train won't keep up with traffic. Want to install IFS. Looking at TCI IFS. Will look at others just need to know where to go. Also have read here about getting donor 1/2 ton Chevy and use the parts for front end. Would like some input.
One big question is the alignment; if I put in donor front end how easy is it to set camber, caster, and toe on initial build? I would take it down to alignment shop to do final setting. I can fabricate up almost anything (have a prototype / fixture CNC machine shop). Link to my shop www.paragonwixom.com .

I also have a donor 1980 El Camino with 305 & auto trans. Am going to start rebuild on them within the next few weeks.
Looking at rear end from this to stuff under Panel truck. I am also looking at taking out the air cond. & steering column
Want to make my drive “EASY”

Any help or suggestions would help. This is my 1st time building a ride.
51panel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
Don Meyer

I have the IFS from a 86 EL camino under my 1948...same track,great ride & handling.
On the rear I'm using leaf springs(heavy duty-5 leafs vs 4) from a Chrysler 5th ave. J C Whitney-$69/ea.w/a Ford 9" rear end. I've used this same set-up on 2 trks. & a 66 Rolls Royce. All used as daily drivers.

On the Rolls I used the whole El C frame straightening out the rails between the front & rear.I used impala staition wagon springs in the rear. I do not remember what I used in the front....I picked it from NAPA's spring catalog.
Don Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote