The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2014, 09:13 AM   #1
chris1htx

New Radiator and Electric Fan

hello all, i was looking into getting a new radiator for my 84 c10 but i also wanted to get an electric fan. do i have to get a special radiator to fit the fan or does it not matter?

what radiator and fan do you guys recommend?
chris1htx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: New Radiator and Electric Fan

How much money do you want to invest and what type of driving do you do (city, highway, country)?

Just to clarify this: I put a larger heavy duty aluminum radiator in my 84 and dual electric fan set to ensure that I am not sitting on the side of a road with my radiator puking all over the ground. I put a lot of money into an engine and worked for some horsepower, so my thoughts were that I would not skimp on what I spent to cool that investment.

My 91 daily driver had an aluminum factory radiator, but I had the same set of dual fans on it to ensure cooling while I drove around Kansas in the summer months with the air conditioning on. I put a lot of miles on that truck and even though I sold it, it is still gong with the third owner and still working just fine.

Many here will suggest a fan set from the salvage yard, that is all well and good, but be sure that the fans work and they move plenty of air. The fans sets that I used were from SPAL and they were rated for 2850 SCFM under a pressurized load so they supported my needs very well.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
SigFTW

No, you can use the same radiator and add a large 16" fan. There are lots of options how to mount. Direct with through the core tie clips, a cheap way. To custom building a fan box to mount the fan or fans.

For the electrical there are several options too. It all comes down to how much you want to spend.
SigFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
chris1htx

i'll be doing city and highway type driving. i'm running a stock engine but like you said i don't want to be on the side of the road. i want something decent but not too overboard for the radiator.

i know duel fans would be better but do you get the same outcome on a single fan?
Old 06-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
MountainGoat1966

Here's a tip from my own experience.
Once upon a time I put an electric fan on my truck, and used the straps that came with it (the ones that go through the radiator core).
Big mistake, vibration from rough roads and 4 wheeling caused the core to get ruptured from those straps, and it cost me a new radiator.
Whatever fan arrangement you decide to go with, do a solid mechanical mount to the core support.

"Off the grid and on the seven day weekend plan"

"One person cannot know everything, but between all of us, there isn't much we don't know."
MountainGoat1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
rich weyand

Agreed on the solid mechanical mount.

Agreed on the existing radiator being fine (assuming it's tight and not clogged up).

I installed a single 16" Flexalite Syclone as a pusher (in front of the radiator), with no shroud. That is the least efficient. Most efficient is as a puller (behind the radiator), with a shroud. For all that, I have had no problems -- the thing almost never runs, and when it does it is for about 10 seconds every minute -- but I don't tow with it and I don't do a lot of sitting in traffic. When you are moving, you don't need a fan at all -- plenty of ram air through the radiator.

I don't think I posted my install on this forum, here it is on FSC:
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...tall-pics.html

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
chris1htx

anybody ever used the LMC electric fan?
Old 06-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #8
notallthere

I know the Chevelle guys love it but the Windstar electric fans flow at around 4000 cfm. (I cannot find facts just what guys are saying) I picked up 2 at a u pull with another serpentine kit and a few more parts for 60.00
notallthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
Redcap

Lincoln Mk VIII fans.