The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
7dguy

What are show quality trucks REALLY worth?

So I'm about to open the wallet on my 70 truck. As posted elsewhere, it's a rare bird: 70 CST 400 115", Fleet, Wood. I SEE ad's out there, but very few for show quality trucks, some over 25K. Most of these are resto-mods, some are original. While I intend to keep the truck for several years (may never sell it), I wonder what BB trucks brought back to day-1 are going for. Do any of you know what documented, very original, show conditin trucks like these actually SELL for?

Any known sales of high end, original trucks would be helpful.

Thanks.

Last edited by 7dguy; 09-24-2010 at 04:06 PM.
7dguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
leddzepp

Re: What are show quality trucks REALLY worth?

It will sell for whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
7dguy

Amazing insight! Thanks.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
big_al_71

you can see what some different style trucks have sold for in
www.barret-jackson.com you can look under auction results. I seen some go for mid 30k in original style and i have seen some pro-touring sell for 75k as already mentioned it is worth what someone is willing to pay.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
pockets

i'm glad you brought this up 7dguy, as I was thinking about maybe flipping a truck after I finish mine. I looked on ebay and there are few really nice trucks there to compare with.

I see a lot of people building really nice trucks, but not selling them.
pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
Musclerodz

vague question. The answer in post 2 is also very true, however there is a little more to it. A restored vehicle's only value is in the correctness and how rare it is. The more rare the more valuable. A custom truck's value ( and I am speaking of a Fesler Built type of custom) the value is in the parts and a quality of craftsmanship put into the vehicle, and that is when the vehicle just becomes a base to work from and the demand for a vehicle of that type is based on whether it appeals to the masses which creates a demand for such a vehicle.

If your building it as investment to make money, forget it, not going to happen. if you building for your pleasure and willing to drop whatever your budget allows regardless of what it will sell for, go for it, and enjoy it when your done.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
vague question. The answer in post 2 is also very true, however there is a little more to it. A restored vehicle's only value is in the correctness and how rare it is. The more rare the more valuable. A custom truck's value ( and I am speaking of a Fesler Built type of custom) the value is in the parts and a quality of craftsmanship put into the vehicle, and that is when the vehicle just becomes a base to work from and the demand for a vehicle of that type is based on whether it appeals to the masses which creates a demand for such a vehicle.

If your building it as investment to make money, forget it, not going to happen. if you building for your pleasure and willing to drop whatever your budget allows regardless of what it will sell for, go for it, and enjoy it when your done.
There is a lot of truth in that of course, but people do build to make money. I was comparing custom trucks to say the custom street machine / muscle car arena and it is relatively easy to build a 60-70's street machine and sell it for 25k-30k, assuming a good starter can be found that is.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
mr48chev

I tend to look at them with the concept of "can I buy it for less than I could build it for?"

Quite often a world beating show quality truck is for sale simply because it has had it's year and won just about all the trophies it is going to win, at least in it's home area. Usually at a price well below what one of us could build an equal truck for.

If it's a "restored" truck I'd want to know a few things before forking over any money though.
How old is the restoration?
Who did the restoration?
How accurate is the restoration?
Numbers matching rig?
All the proper pieces that go on the truck there including correct manifolds and carburetor and air cleaner?
Correct wheels and tires and hubcaps?
Those are some of the things that to me add to or make a "restored truck" worth the extra money.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
yote1234

i have found out its always cheaper to buy a fully restored vehicle.because a quality restoration usually coast much more than the vehicle could ever sell for.thats why i call it a hobby, and not a investment. the only reason im restoring my 72 is i couldnt find a 72 short bed in hugger orange with its options.by doing a quality complete restoration, i'll be into my truck atleast 20% more money than it will be worth at time of completion. will there be a time that the equity will cath up to the value? maby in 5-7 yrs. but then i chose not to spend 40,000-50,000 on a brand new 2010 truck.but to build a brand new 1972 cheyenne truck. one that wont depriciate 1/2 price in 2 years. again,its a hobby that should hold its value over the many years to come. just my 2cents
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7dguy View Post
Amazing insight! Thanks.
The answer hasn't changed since the last time you asked a year ago.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 09-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #11
7dguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
The answer hasn't changed since the last time you asked a year ago.
I bet you're wrong about that. It's SOFT out there, more so than a year ago. I'm hoping to be in it for no more than 5K more than it's worth, we'll see. I hope I never find out where the market is on it...meaning I hope I can enjoy it until the kids fight over it.

FYI...It is all documented and all numbers matching. Will go to Barret to see results, but Mecum was dismal. One for 16K was about the best I found there.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
leddzepp

Quote:
I bet you're wrong about that. It's SOFT out there, more so than a year ago. I'm hoping to be in it for no more than 5K more than it's worth, we'll see. I hope I never find out where the market is on it...meaning I hope I can enjoy it until the kids fight over it.

FYI...It is all documented and all numbers matching. Will go to Barret to see results, but Mecum was dismal. One for 16K was about the best I found there.
They are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them...that never changes.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 09-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #13
Flame Broiled

Don't build cars or trucks with the intention of making money on them, unless you are building them for someone else and charging by the hour. The dollar figures that vehicles sell on such venues as Barrett Jackson are not really relevant, they are either way over inflated due to the fact someone with way to much money wants it, or way under the cost to build it. Build you car or truck the way you want it in the price range that you can afford to build it.
Flame Broiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
71 super

To build a quality "correct" original type restoration, you are going to have to locate alot of NOS parts- stuff that is getting much harder to find, and we all know harder to find means higher cost or finding an acceptable substitute. I restored my 71 super 8 years ago and the truck is approx. 95% NOS parts. I was able to do it then because I worked at a dealership that allowed me to exchange my pay check for NOS parts at a discount With that said, I am currently restoring 72 and it has cost more and has fewer NOS parts than I would have liked, but could not do it due to economy and availability. If you want to build your truck I say go for it, but do not expect to get rich because you will either pay someone to do the work or do it yourself. If it is your first time you will cut corners (reuse old wiring harnesses or buy new- simple choice for me, too much invested not to buy new- but lots of people dont replace yet say they are complete restorations) or spend more having to redo something. Also plan to live with someone elses schedule, paint took a little over 3 years at the shop that did my
71's paint. Currently the 72 is getting close to year 2 and is almost completed. In my experience and need for the best, I would buy a part, find a better one and then have twice the money invested ( did it several times during the first build), and there were several redos as well. The last big factor is how far are you willing to go? Are you willing to do as Paul Duncan is doing an not only search out NOS parts but correct date coded NOS parts - he was searching not long ago for the correct date coded mirrors, or are you like myself willing to settle for incorrect date codes, but NOS parts? I know for a fact that Paul passed several super nice pieces simply because he wants perfection and he will have it. Things like that also affect cash out lay and return opprotunitys. Regardless, as scott said it has to be the right color, the right price, right parts and the right behind for the seat to get top dollar no matter what you do. Good luck in what ever you decide.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #15
yote1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
To build a quality "correct" original type restoration, you are going to have to locate alot of NOS parts- stuff that is getting much harder to find, and we all know harder to find means higher cost or finding an acceptable substitute. I restored my 71 super 8 years ago and the truck is approx. 95% NOS parts. I was able to do it then because I worked at a dealership that allowed me to exchange my pay check for NOS parts at a discount With that said, I am currently restoring 72 and it has cost more and has fewer NOS parts than I would have liked, but could not do it due to economy and availability. If you want to build your truck I say go for it, but do not expect to get rich because you will either pay someone to do the work or do it yourself. If it is your first time you will cut corners (reuse old wiring harnesses or buy new- simple choice for me, too much invested not to buy new- but lots of people dont replace yet say they are complete restorations) or spend more having to redo something. Also plan to live with someone elses schedule, paint took a little over 3 years at the shop that did my
71's paint. Currently the 72 is getting close to year 2 and is almost completed. In my experience and need for the best, I would buy a part, find a better one and then have twice the money invested ( did it several times during the first build), and there were several redos as well. The last big factor is how far are you willing to go? Are you willing to do as Paul Duncan is doing an not only search out NOS parts but correct date coded NOS parts - he was searching not long ago for the correct date coded mirrors, or are you like myself willing to settle for incorrect date codes, but NOS parts? I know for a fact that Paul passed several super nice pieces simply because he wants perfection and he will have it. Things like that also affect cash out lay and return opprotunitys. Regardless, as scott said it has to be the right color, the right price, right parts and the right behind for the seat to get top dollar no matter what you do. Good luck in what ever you decide.
wow. couldnt have said it better... just nos wiring is close to 1200.00 alone for mine! and very lucky to just find those!
1966 uh 1-D Huey
Old 09-14-2010, 09:56 PM   #16
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

After you have restored one, you'll truly appreciate the craftsmanship and effort that goes into these. If someone does make money on these, it's probably because they don't put a price on their time invested.

A huge pitfall for me, is that once they're done, you won't want to use them because you know the time/expense/effort involved to get them to first class shape.

Every hobby has some kind of expense. I piss away more money than I care to think about on NBA tickets. Vacations are great ways to make money disappear. So in comparison to those things, it's not so bad.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:18 AM   #17
7dguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yote1234 View Post
wow. couldnt have said it better... just nos wiring is close to 1200.00 alone for mine! and very lucky to just find those!
Where, by chance, did you find the wiring?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #18
MAK191

$75,000 for this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...fCarsQ5fTrucks
MAK191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #19
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

You mention show quality and restored, but you don't discuss your ability to make it that way. It takes a very skilled individual to truly restore a vehicle properly. That means knowing the process that is used to correctly finish metal parts and apply it where it should be.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #20
Shane
Account Suspended

basic economics: price is dictated by the market, not the seller.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #21
yote1234

Quote:
Where, by chance, did you find the wiring?
from this site.. last one he had...
1966 uh 1-D Huey
Old 09-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #22
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
basic economics: price is dictated by the market, not the seller.
I am in agreement with this answer first and foremost.. If the economy is good and lots of work ,,then our trucks will sell for more ,,right now is the time to buy ,,sell later when the economy comes back ..but be ready to keep your truck on the shelf until it does because right now it doesnt look good..
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #23
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
I am in agreement with this answer first and foremost.. If the economy is good and lots of work ,,then our trucks will sell for more ,,right now is the time to buy ,,sell later when the economy comes back ..but be ready to keep your truck on the shelf until it does because right now it doesnt look good..
Very true. It seems to be a buyer's market on everything right now, except parts.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #24
Shyguy

My son and his wife restored her grandpa's truck after he passed away. It has won a few local shows, but is not a true restoration.

Here is the problem, they made it so nice my daughter-in-law rarely ever drives it because she is afraid it will get damaged. What a shame.

A couple of years ago it was real hard to find a 67-72 in running condition for sale, now it seems they are always appearing on the local Cragslist. The prices are way down in this part of the country.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #25
OregonC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
You mention show quality and restored, but you don't discuss your ability to make it that way. It takes a very skilled individual to truly restore a vehicle properly. That means knowing the process that is used to correctly finish metal parts and apply it where it should be.
I think I meet the "very skilled individual" a couple of days ago. I will post pics of his work in the next day or two.
OregonC20 is offline   Reply With Quote