The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
NicoSlam

Wrecked truck need help

So my brother was hit while at a stop sign on his 72 GMC sierra classic around two weeks ago. purchase receipts plus some other improvement receipts were provided to the Insurance company as they requested but they came back and offerd $2100 + truck. They considered the truck totaled but what can we do as i feel you cant find a truck like this for $2100? Has anyone gone thru this and what is the best approach? My brother is not trying to become rich but simply get enough cash to replace the truck. Oh. and $2900 and they keep the truck.
Attached Images

NicoSlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
JORGIE95961

Re: Wrecked truck need help

they usually base the amount of fthe local market and should be able to provide advertisements for similiart trucks they found in the region for that price....
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

should of had it under classic Car INS then if this was not the primary car he owns for every 5000.00 its 100.00 a year 200 would be 10,000 coverage I would try not to let the INS total the truck that means you have a salvage title and that's not good on a resale if you got 1500.00 you can put it back to gather for that not painted there are plenty of those trucks with that front end still around Just put out the want adds on this site and i bet you will be surprised

Be glade he did not get hit in the back that bed used is 1000-1500

Last edited by stsalvage; 05-02-2011 at 04:01 PM.
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

With the exception of the motor, I would think that may be a 3000 to 3500 dollar truck.
Of corse, I have no info and just a couple photos.

Don't expect to get treated well by an insurance company. In the end, odds are you will feel shafted.

What did he pay for the truck, what kind of upgrades were done, when were they done, and what was spent?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
NicoSlam

The truck is a daily driver so antique insurance would not apply. Honestly I know it can be repaired for what they are offering but damn it was an original solid not rusted, truck. Straight as can be. I motor/ tranny was redone about two years ago.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
JORGIE95961

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoSlam View Post
The truck is a daily driver so antique insurance would not apply. Honestly I know it can be repaired for what they are offering but damn it was an original solid not rusted, truck. Straight as can be. I motor/ tranny was redone about two years ago.
take the 2100 ill throw down another two.. if you were closer. na im lying im way too cheap
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
NicoSlam

JORGIE95961

I agree with you. I wish you can find these trucks in that good of condition for even $3500. Its not what it is but the work it took to find it and unfortunately, the appraiser doesn't care and its not worth his time justifying what we consider a fair price. I have a 69 SWB that I have put a little over $9000 and I'm thinking its not worth it. I've had enough cars to know that you never get what you put into them but at least 75% would be good.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
YBNORML

Car Insurance: the biggest scam ever, it is required by law, you can't afford to make a claim cause your rates will go through the roof and the insurance companies will screw you if they can!
Posted via Mobile Device

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
Richard H.
Spanked once

First they do the low ball thing as a gamble you are desperate and will accept. If you accept they win. No way you have to take what they offer and it may take a few months to get what it is actually worth.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I've built some nice cars in the past that got hit by someone and have had to go through the insurance fight like you're dealing with. They always offer low ball up front.

Twice I just took my receipts to an attorney and had them draft a letter to the insurance company explaining that I have documentation to money invested and that their offer was unacceptable. Both times the insurance company paid me after I handed the letter to the adjuster. If you stonewall them and put up a fight they'll pay you. It's cheaper for them to cough up a couple thousand extra dollars than to drag the fight out.

My wife drove a real nice 5.0L Mustang notchback for years. An old lady hit her and the insurance tried to total the car at like 3500 bucks. I supplied receipts for over 9k dollars worth of parts in the drivetrain and they still refused to budge. The attorney wrote the letter (I paid her 100 bucks to do it) and Farmers Insurance wound up paying us nearly 6k for repairs and not total the car (blue title intact).

Another time I had my Dodge diesel in the shop getting rear end damage repaired. The insurance company was going to buy aftermarket parts to do the repair with. I told the body shop manager if they used any aftermarket parts I'd refuse to pick the truck up and accept the repair. Work stalled and the body shop threatened to start charging storage fees to my insurance company, so they finally paid for genuine Mopar parts and I got my truck fixed like new. It was a nice truck and I didn't want aftermarket parts from Sum Flung Dung China on it. Dodge original parts are poor enough quality in the first place.

You've just got to out stubborn them.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
hotrodhomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Dodge original parts are poor enough quality in the first place.
LMAO
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
Flint70step

Don't total it plz.You should have no problems finding a good front clip.If your patient....who knows...you could even find one the same color.Fix it and keep it on the road where they love to be
Flint70step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
67-72C10

I know you are a long ways from Maryland.I was at the wrecking yard last week and found this one.Looks like the same color.The front end looked to be in good shape.

Steve
Attached Images

67-72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #14
flashed

I would refuse to settle ,hold out as long as possible. They will want to get it off their books as quick as they can .Tell the insurance company you are consulting with an attorney to see what your options are and take your time. I would bet their offer comes up a bit.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #15
70cst

Many good ideas. I agree that documentation is important. Seek out what similar trucks are selling in your area. Be patient and don't be pressured in making any rash decisions.

The less they pay you the better off the insurance company is. Remember...they are not your friend in this instance and they will do all they can to low ball you.

Best of luck.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 05-02-2011 at 10:07 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #16
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
Many good ideas. I agree that documentation is important. Seek out what similar trucks are selling in your area. Be patient and don't be pressured in making any rash decisions.

The less they pay you the better off the insurance company is. Remember...they are not your friend in this instance and they will do all they can to low ball you.

Best of luck.
The insurance co. is never your friend, especially if it's not YOUR insurance co.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #17
Warrens69GMC

Lookie here....

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/2296550893.html
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #18
no moa

Oh dude, that sucks. I'd fight tooth and nail. And defianly buy it back. I'd love to have a truck that rust free.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #19
late68

Just a FYi. I am an insurance adjuster, so I deal with this everyday. You need to ask them for a list of the comparables that they found to get the value of the truck, then go and look at those trucks if they are even avail. Or you can find comparables yourself and send them to the ins. company for review. They will consider if you have 3-5 that you can send in.
late68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #20
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

always nice to get 'insider info'
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #21
tjvending

I just went though this vs Progessive. I'll tell you what others told me "Do your homework"

TJ

Forum: The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board 03-16-2011, 08:08 AM
Replies: 118 My truck took a hit
Views: 5,233 Posted By tjvending
Re: My truck took a hit

Finally Good news!!! My appeal came back with postive results with Progressive Ins Co. My truck is not being Total and I'm getting the full value of my damages, I pickup the check yesterday! They...
tjvending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #22
NicoSlam

I appreciate everyones advice. My brother and I collected truck sale information history from this website along with Hemmings and ebay for the purpose of establishing an average value as every truck is different. True we found trucks from 3k to 11k and I believe my brothers truck falls around 5k which is better then the 2k they offered. Hopefully this works or we will go to the next step and get a lawyer involved which I dont want to do because he will have to fight for a bigger chunk just to take his share. regardless, thanks for the advice. I believe there is a desperate need for insurance companies to re-evaluate the pricing they have for older vehicles that have went from new to old to junk to classic.