The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2017, 12:08 AM   #826
Joe Pass

Re: Project Lemon Drop: anything but stock!

Man that looks great.....
Joe Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:14 AM   #827
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Thanks Joe.

There are the pictures of the Accuair E-Level controller installed in the console lid.

I have been collecting all the little parts I need to complete the radio and amp installation. So the next project is to get the rear cab speaker box completed and blast some tunes.

FINGERS CROSSED.
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082

Last edited by jugernot; 06-10-2017 at 12:22 AM.
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:19 AM   #828
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pass View Post
Man that looks great.....
Joe, are you doing a build thread on your newest project? I'd like to see the progress?

I need to come up for a visit and see it in person.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:24 AM   #829
Joe Pass

Please come up...I enjoy our visits.....I want to do a thread on it so I'm taking pictures as I progress. I need to commit to a thread but I have been busy with things unrelated...but youre inspiring me now...........
Old 06-10-2017, 12:27 AM   #830
RRR18

Very great

Follow on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/rtimes3c10/

Ryan
RRR18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:32 AM   #831
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Oh I almost forgot. Back in post #822 I wrote

"Oh on another note............. I have a big package coming in the mail. Something long over due for the truck. You'll have to wait and see what it is..."

Well it arrived and here it is.......................

Brazilian Cherry with stainless steel stripes with hidden fasteners. I think I will finish the stereo first and then work on the bed. Sanding smooth with 220 (I heard you shouldn't go any higher than that, so the clear coat will have something to grab a hold of.) I plan on putting on a dark stain.

Yes I said CLEAR COAT. I like the extra shine it gives rather than a brushed on lacquer.

Attached Images

Old 06-10-2017, 05:34 AM   #832
GR8-68

That will look real sharp

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #833
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Very, very nice

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #834
NewType72

The only thing I personally would say may need reconsidering is the clear since I went through it myself after driving my truck for a year. The rain or car washes would find ways into the wood and begin swelling the boards and popping the clear to the point I finally used an air gun and got rid of the flakes one afternoon. It sure looks incredible though for that first month I must agree

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:14 PM   #835
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewType72 View Post
The only thing I personally would say may need reconsidering is the clear since I went through it myself after driving my truck for a year. The rain or car washes would find ways into the wood and begin swelling the boards and popping the clear to the point I finally used an air gun and got rid of the flakes one afternoon. It sure looks incredible though for that first month I must agree

Thanks for the input. Couple of questions for you.

What brand of clear did you use?

Do you think I would have been better to put multiple coats of clear on the boards?

Old 06-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #836
Joe Pass

I've done my share of wood beds and found most brand name varnish type clears are only water resistant.....with that said I have 4 coats Helm's spar varnish on my topside and 3 underneath with sanding in between. I have washed my trucks and couldn't avoid getting the beds wet and had no issues, but with that said, everyday use or exposure will eventually fail. Fiberglass resins are best when used in marine applications and or bed woods but they don't enhance the grain or look. I don't see you using your truck as an everyday driver and or exposing it to long term elements and think you would be fine with using a brand name varnish.....However we took that truck on it's test drive in the rain....lol....come to think of it....
Joe
Name:  DSCN2078.JPG
Views: 702
Size:  45.0 KB
Old 06-11-2017, 09:07 PM   #837
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pass View Post
I've done my share of wood beds and found most brand name varnish type clears are only water resistant.....with that said I have 4 coats Helm's spar varnish on my topside and 3 underneath with sanding in between. I have washed my trucks and couldn't avoid getting the beds wet and had no issues, but with that said, everyday use or exposure will eventually fail. Fiberglass resins are best when used in marine applications and or bed woods but they don't enhance the grain or look. I don't see you using your truck as an everyday driver and or exposing it to long term elements and think you would be fine with using a brand name varnish.....However we took that truck on it's test drive in the rain....lol....come to think of it....
Joe
Attachment 1660359
Yes we did drive it in the rain. That may be the only time that happens. Joe, what is your recommendation for my bed? I would like to have a nice deep shine

Old 06-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #838
Nh4clo4

For the bed wood, I went on a boat finishing/building message board. They recommended 4 coats of west system epoxy, to completely seal the wood, sanding in between, then the automotive clear for the uv resistance for the best longevity, we will see
Attached Images

Nh4clo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #839
NewType72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugernot View Post
Thanks for the input. Couple of questions for you.

What brand of clear did you use?

Do you think I would have been better to put multiple coats of clear on the boards?
Oh boy it's been so long I'd almost like to say a House of Kolor clear that we had around that was simply not enough to use on any current projects that year.

We probably did about three heavy coats after seeing the first dry up fairly fast. I think we lost out with ours being uncoated on the bottom, I'm sure it was a factor at some point or another.

I do agree with the west system epoxy route as that will be my next attempt

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:41 PM   #840
1971_c10

Good looking stuff on the interior components! The center console turned out really nice! Awesome work!

On the bedwood, I've used "Man O'War" Marine Spar Varnish (red can). It has decent UV protection and a pretty good shine. Like others, I typically sand between coats and I lay down 4-6 coats. I then 'cut and buffed' it followed by wax. It's held up pretty well over the years. I generally get about 10 years out of a coat job before I decide to redo (just did round 3 after 20+ years) and it sees a good amount of summer sun but always garaged at night.

Here's a shot of mine from a few years back.
Name:  DSCN0299.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  56.8 KB

Build Thread for my '71 Pro-Touring: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722029
My C10 has it's own facebook page! www.facebook.com/c10cj - it is a public page so no facebook account required to browse through.
1971_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:31 PM   #841
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

I had to get one of the bed wood boards replaced, so I used the damaged one to try out some different stain colors.

Tell me which one you think will match nicely with the yellow paint of the truck. Keep in mind there is no clear coat, Varnish or anything else on the board. I just sanded it with a 220 grit.

I'll tell you which one I like later..

Thanks

Attached Images

Old 06-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #842
Nh4clo4

I like the two darker ones on the left.

Just my personal opinion, I like dark wood on a light color and light wood on dark color.
Nh4clo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #843
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Agreed. Dark wood, stainless strips

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
Old 06-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #844
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

I like the middle two, but I'm leaning toward the darker one.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #845
drfloyd

Jugernot, I am in the process on catching up on your thread. I'm doing almost the exact same thing but I'm a bit behind you. lol. I'm on chassis and suspension work right now. But I'm just curious why you chose to keep the old ebrake handle vs installing a pedal since you were basically starting from scratch. I'm planning on removing mine so I'm curious what drove your decision or if you even considered it?
drfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #846
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfloyd View Post
Jugernot, I am in the process on catching up on your thread. I'm doing almost the exact same thing but I'm a bit behind you. lol. I'm on chassis and suspension work right now. But I'm just curious why you chose to keep the old ebrake handle vs installing a pedal since you were basically starting from scratch. I'm planning on removing mine so I'm curious what drove your decision or if you even considered it?
I think the reason I kept the e brake handle is nostalgia. It is a unique thing specific for 67 and 68 C10 truck. Plus the e brake pedal would interfere with the size of the speaker kick panels.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:06 PM   #847
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

I'm toying with the idea of making some heat shields to attach to the underside of the bed above the exhaust. I know that make them (like the one pictured here) however they look like they are made to screw into the underside of the wood bed.

I was thinking about making some that attach to the bolts that hold the metal strips between the boards. I think aluminum would be the best. I picked up some thin card stock to make some templates to see how and if my idea will work.

Has anyone done anything similar?
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2017, 04:48 PM   #848
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

I finally finished building and wrapping the speaker enclosure. I connected all the a components, ran power, and disrupted the neighborhood with some loud music. I attempted to use a hidden antenna and it failed to pick up many if not all the radio stations. I tried putting it behind the dome light and then in the cab corner, neither worked. Then I placed it on the top of the roof to see how well it worked in the open. I was still disappointed. I read a thread were people have put a fender or cowl antenna under there vehicle, so I may try that. My radio does have blue tooth, which is what allowed me to play the music. It also has an option for satellite radio, but I don't think I will use it.

If anyone has any other options for an antenna, please chime in.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #849
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Look at reviews on the hidden type, buy the best one available (not always the most expensive) and put it under the wiper cowl. The fresh air vents will allow some of the radio waves to penetrate and you can use the factory firewall hole to route the cable.

Behind the seat looks great!

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 07-16-2017, 10:47 PM   #850
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Look at reviews on the hidden type, buy the best one available (not always the most expensive) and put it under the wiper cowl. The fresh air vents will allow some of the radio waves to penetrate and you can use the factory firewall hole to route the cable.

Behind the seat looks great!
Interesting idea. I hadn't thought about putting one inside there, but it makes sense. Thanks