The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2016, 02:37 PM   #1
C.20

Need Help Having Problems

Hows everyone doing i have a problem i have long tube headers on my truck and im going through starters left and right and i dont no what to do i dont no if i should wrap my headers or get one of those high torque starters if someone had the same problem let me no what u did
Old 01-26-2016, 02:48 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Need Help Having Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.20 View Post
Hows everyone doing i have a problem i have long tube headers on my truck and im going through starters left and right and i dont no what to do i dont no if i should wrap my headers or get one of those high torque starters if someone had the same problem let me no what u did

A little more info would be good. Exactly what problem are you having with the starters. Also what engine do you have and is it stock? If you are having problems with the starter turning the engine over when it its hot that doesn't necessarily mean that the starter is bad....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
tommy3horse

Hello C.20. I had the same problem, I was buying Auto-Zone crap and couldnt get a good starter to save my life. I bought a new unit at O'rielly's and have not had an issue since.
I also have a 350 and long tube headers...

Tom

1965 Mustang 2+2 289 4spd, show-car
1965 Mustang Coupe 289 4spd, stoplight racer
1/2 dozen Wheelhorse Tractors
tommy3horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:09 PM   #4
C.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
A little more info would be good. Exactly what problem are you having with the starters. Also what engine do you have and is it stock? If you are having problems with the starter turning the engine over when it its hot that doesn't necessarily mean that the starter is bad....

LockDoc
Its a 350 with a cam with longtubes and a exhaust but this is the 5th starter i went through i dont know if its heat or if its just ****ty advance starters keep burning out
Old 01-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
C.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy3horse View Post
Hello C.20. I had the same problem, I was buying Auto-Zone crap and couldnt get a good starter to save my life. I bought a new unit at O'rielly's and have not had an issue since.
I also have a 350 and long tube headers...

Tom
yeh idk what to do i always buy brand new ones never used and they last 2 weeks and then they poop out on me and its bad it makes terrible noises trying to start it
Old 01-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #6
davepl

How do you "go through them"? If they just no-crank when hot, that's not the starter's fault.

But yeah, I'd start putting some heat shielding in there. Wrap the tubes and get a starter shield. Use a smaller gear reduction starter if you can afford it, they sit a lot further away from the headers and they're better anyway.

There's not a lot of difference between a new and an old starter - just brushes and a couple of bearings. Maybe they use low melting point solder in the rebuilds!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
C.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
How do you "go through them"? If they just no-crank when hot, that's not the starter's fault.

But yeah, I'd start putting some heat shielding in there. Wrap the tubes and get a starter shield. Use a smaller gear reduction starter if you can afford it, they sit a lot further away from the headers and they're better anyway.

There's not a lot of difference between a new and an old starter - just brushes and a couple of bearings. Maybe they use low melting point solder in the rebuilds!
when i turn the truck on it bangs really loud against the fly wheel likes it no coming out all the way but whenever i put a new one on it never does it after 2 weeks it will start doing it again
Old 01-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #8
geezer#99

Are you using the correct knurled shoulder starter bolts?
You might also need a starter brace.
Pic here.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492532
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:22 PM   #9
C.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Are you using the correct knurled shoulder starter bolts?
You might also need a starter brace.
Pic here.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492532
yeh im using the right bolts not sure about that bracket though
Old 01-26-2016, 03:51 PM   #10
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.20 View Post
yeh im using the right bolts not sure about that bracket though
Summit has them.
http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...4353/overview/

I've made my own with angle iron.
It'll keep the starter in place.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:56 PM   #11
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Need Help Having Problems

you may have to shim the starter also. Make sure the teeth on your flex plate/flywheel aren't chewed up also, that will damage the bendix on the starter.
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:57 AM   #12
C.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipescastle2 View Post
you may have to shim the starter also. Make sure the teeth on your flex plate/flywheel aren't chewed up also, that will damage the bendix on the starter.
Ben
yeh im going to do that just got a new starter for the time being
Old 01-27-2016, 05:12 AM   #13
NoNeck

I agree with the other guys. The one thing that I have learned is that if you are running the long tube headers on a truck you need a QUALITY starter and solenoid. The rebuilt aftermarket starters just don't have quality internals to last in high temperature environments. More importantly, off brand starter solenoids sold today are much more sensitive to heat. They work OK with factory exhaust manifolds, but not with headers.

I have learned that you get what you pay for. There is no such thing as high quality and cheap.

After the 3rd Auto Zone starter left me stranded years ago, I purchased a new AC Delco "High Torque" starter from a local distributor. FYI, you can tell a High Torque starter by the extra long rod at the solenoid attachment. The starter included a new solenoid.

I also made a homemade heat shield for the solenoid from an old aluminum car show plaque. Of course you can buy one from Summit or Jegs, but I didn't want to wait for one to be shipped to me.

Just my 2¢...

POP
Attached Images

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #14
C.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post

they last 2 weeks and then it doesn't engage anymore my headers are wrapped and it still going out
Old 02-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #15
C.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeck View Post
I agree with the other guys. The one thing that I have learned is that if you are running the long tube headers on a truck you need a QUALITY starter and solenoid. The rebuilt aftermarket starters just don't have quality internals to last in high temperature environments. More importantly, off brand starter solenoids sold today are much more sensitive to heat. They work OK with factory exhaust manifolds, but not with headers.

I have learned that you get what you pay for. There is no such thing as high quality and cheap.

After the 3rd Auto Zone starter left me stranded years ago, I purchased a new AC Delco "High Torque" starter from a local distributor. FYI, you can tell a High Torque starter by the extra long rod at the solenoid attachment. The starter included a new solenoid.

I also made a homemade heat shield for the solenoid from an old aluminum car show plaque. Of course you can buy one from Summit or Jegs, but I didn't want to wait for one to be shipped to me.

Just my 2¢...

POP
thats the next thing i might do i keep buying advance starters brand new they last awhile then they die and are chewing my flex plate apart i wrapped my headers and everything im goona try that ac delco starter i think and make a shield like you did
Old 02-10-2016, 09:42 PM   #16
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I don't think the headers have anything to do with your problem. If header heat was your problem you would get a no-start "heat soak" issue. Meaning, there would be no juice getting through the hot solenoid.

If the starter is not engaging the flexplate/flywheel teeth, it's either not shimmed correctly, installed incorrectly, or you might have a bad flexplate/flywheel.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:19 PM   #17
C.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I don't think the headers have anything to do with your problem. If header heat was your problem you would get a no-start "heat soak" issue. Meaning, there would be no juice getting through the hot solenoid.

If the starter is not engaging the flexplate/flywheel teeth, it's either not shimmed correctly, installed incorrectly, or you might have a bad flexplate/flywheel.

Gary
the flex plate is getting destroyed because the starters are failing and not coming out i got to put a new flex plate in anyway but for the time being i put a new starter in and it works for a week or 2 and then all of a sudden it stops working i dont know if the starters are being shorted out and becoming weaker idk i cant figure it out
Old 02-10-2016, 11:42 PM   #18
sloth454

Hey this problem really sounds like clearance issues. possible not shimmed out at all or not enough shims. After the truck starts does it sound like the starter is dragging? When it goes bad your saying its hitting the flex plate. To me that's not a starter problem its clearances. But heat wrapping the headers with a heat shield on the starter will always make them last longer. One thing you can try is when it fails. Try just pulling the starter out and reinstalling it. Its could be moving around and not lining up after driving.
sloth454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:52 PM   #19
twich3136

so it still cranks but its loud and noisy? I had a 74 with what sounds like a similar issue. went through a few starters before I decided to change the flexplate, which I discovered was warped, and all my problems went away. the new starters would work great for a week or two then get loud and progressively worse until just just made grinding noises.

USMC
SEMPER FI
68 Chevy Longhorn 350/400 factory posi
twich3136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:55 PM   #20
C.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth454 View Post
Hey this problem really sounds like clearance issues. possible not shimmed out at all or not enough shims. After the truck starts does it sound like the starter is dragging? When it goes bad your saying its hitting the flex plate. To me that's not a starter problem its clearances. But heat wrapping the headers with a heat shield on the starter will always make them last longer. One thing you can try is when it fails. Try just pulling the starter out and reinstalling it. Its could be moving around and not lining up after driving.
i shim it a couple of times now i had 5 in at one point and it just weakens and dies and bangs but what i think i need to do is run the motor i might be putting in wrong starters but i dont no how that would kill a starter in 2 weeks if i put it in and have no problems all of a sudden this started happeing
Old 02-10-2016, 11:58 PM   #21
C.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twich3136 View Post
so it still cranks but its loud and noisy? I had a 74 with what sounds like a similar issue. went through a few starters before I decided to change the flexplate, which I discovered was warped, and all my problems went away. the new starters would work great for a week or two then get loud and progressively worse until just just made grinding noises.
yeh i heard it is very easy to change the flex plate just gotta move the torque converter back and use a wrench and unloose the bolts holding the flex plate but its not cracker or anything i just need it to last a little while longer and im thinking im puting the wrong starters in i need to find the the numbers on the block and run them and see what starter i need to run
Old 02-11-2016, 12:13 AM   #22
twich3136

just put your back into it
Attached Images

USMC
SEMPER FI
68 Chevy Longhorn 350/400 factory posi
twich3136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:16 AM   #23
C.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twich3136 View Post
just put your back into it
LOL its irritating me that i cant figure out whats wrong with it
Old 02-11-2016, 12:20 AM   #24
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Need Help Having Problems

I doubt very much you can change the flex plate without dropping the transmission. There just isn't enough room to get past the crank flange and the hub of the converter. One thing, is your current flex plate worn in four evenly spaced areas of the ring gear? 90 degree V8's will wear like that if you have a starter that isn't engaging correctly....also, are you using the small brace that supports the end of the starter motor?
this will add to your problems as well.
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:24 AM   #25
C.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipescastle2 View Post
I doubt very much you can change the flex plate without dropping the transmission. There just isn't enough room to get past the crank flange and the hub of the converter. One thing, is your current flex plate worn in four evenly spaced areas of the ring gear? 90 degree V8's will wear like that if you have a starter that isn't engaging correctly....also, are you using the small brace that supports the end of the starter motor?
this will add to your problems as well.
Ben
when i bought the truck it didnt have a brace on it and i think the starter is falling and hitting thats what i think and i need this brace to hold it up