The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #26
georgieb51

Re: SWB 4x4 was totaled. Now what? Can I get it back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgieb51 View Post
Sad story here. I recently bought a 1970 Chevy 4x4 SWB (Short wide-bed) automatic, 350, with original caravan on it always owned in the desert of Elko, Nevada. I was having it shipped to me in upstate NY when the transporter went off the road and all 9 vehicles and the tractor/trailer were "Totaled". The insurance company (of the trucking company) wants to pay me $5500. and then put the truck up for salvage auction. They have no idea how rare this truck is in any form. I do not want to lose this truck to a salvage company in Iowa. Any suggestions on what to do?
I am trying to add a photo of the truck just as it was listed on Craigslist when I bought it.
Attached Images

1967 Chevy K10 Short Stepside, unrestored original.
1969 GMC CST (Longhorn) 396, buckets, unrestored.
1995 GMC K2500, 65,000 miles, 454.
georgieb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #27
flashed

Tell them to find you a replacement truck in the same condition as that one for $6000 .If they find a second one I want it . Shortbed 4x4 Chevy trucks dont just appear for that kind of money these days .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:27 PM   #28
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Tell them to find you a replacement truck in the same condition as that one for $6000 .If they find a second one I want it . Shortbed 4x4 Chevy trucks dont just appear for that kind of money these days .
That is a great response. I will ask them that-- and you can have the one they find. Of course you and I know they will never find one for that kind of money in this condition.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:31 PM   #29
flashed

Good luck dealing with them but remember you are in the driver seat ,they have to make it right ,just dont settle for less .
Old 06-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #30
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

George, that is a very nice truck. Hopefully it isn't smashed up too bad. But even if it is, it's still more restorable than a truck from around here. Haha Plus the factory SWB 4x4 is what makes it so unique.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:05 PM   #31
hugger6933

I have a body shop and have had for 30 years. I rebuild wrecks and at times I did insurance work. I would not start off threatening to get a lawyer involved or to sue everyone over six inches tall, keep that in your back pocket for later if need be. I have found that bowing up on the adjuster or the insurance from the start normally provides less satisfaction for the customer[you]. Simply state the fact that it is widely known that the trucks aren't going down and are not being produced irregardless of their thought about value and availability. Not all companies will let the owner retain salvage. It is rare to run across this as most will like 9 out of 10 times. Also check into the salvage title laws for your state and theirs as you don't need them to brand the title . They shouldn't anyway if they never take ownership and are just paying you for damages.In my state,[AR] they aren't supposed to brand anything older than 10 model years but sometimes one slips through. I wish you good luck and I hope it all works out for you and they get right and do the right thing. Most will but it is normally a second offer kind of thing. Like I said keep the lawyer in the back pocket when they are threatened with a lawsuit starting out it seems to me to put them in a bad mood and on the offensive. Well would it do that to you if someone started out a phone call or first visit with good morning I'm gonna sue you. Now I'm not saying that one might be needed to get what is your it just seems to me from all the insurance dealings I have had in my shop and seeing customers doing things both ways it just works better to keep the lawyers on stand by instead of calling them out right out of the gate.
I know I my catch flack for that just a feeling and from things I've seen
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #32
HO455
Post Whore

It is important at this point to tell the insurance company that all future conversations will be in writing. This will prevent confusion and backtracking, or just plain lying by them. The process will be slower but it is less likely that they will cheat you. The adjuster is working for the insurance company and his/her compensation is based on how much money they save the company. They will ALWAYS come back low and try stonewall you until you give up. You don't have to threaten them with a lawyer but you need to get sound advice from a professional. It could be a lawyer, or does your state have a state insurance board or commission? They can be a great free or low cost alternative to learn and defend your rights. I know here in Oregon when you get stonewalled insurance companies usually change their tone when they hear they will have to go in front of the insurance board. Every state is different and you have the added aggravation of two states.
Good luck.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:08 AM   #33
jjzepplin

When I totaled my Blazer they tried to tow it off to a "wrecking yard". I told them it goes straight to my house. After a short battle and the threat of the police being recalled due to theft, They reluctantly agreed. I jumped in the tow truck to make sure. After all, it was my name on the title and it was my property until I decided otherwise. They eventually sent the adjuster to my home and we agreed that I would keep the truck and they would give me low NADA value. At the time $3500. Now just take a look at NADA low value for a 1970 SWB 4x4. Best value of all of them. Upwards of $10,000. I look all the time to see how much mine could be worth. High value is $53,000. Of course that would be a very nice truck. However the fact remains that if I get swiped in this rig and the other guy is at fault-his adjuster and I will be talking about $10,000 minimum...
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:50 AM   #34
special-K
Special Order

As far as the insurance company goes with their statement they can find '70 SWB K/10s all day long for that price (in same condition yours "was"), you are ready and waiting for them to provide the examples...all day long.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:01 AM   #35
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
I have a body shop and have had for 30 years. I rebuild wrecks and at times I did insurance work. I would not start off threatening to get a lawyer involved or to sue everyone over six inches tall, keep that in your back pocket for later if need be. I have found that bowing up on the adjuster or the insurance from the start normally provides less satisfaction for the customer[you]. Simply state the fact that it is widely known that the trucks aren't going down and are not being produced irregardless of their thought about value and availability. Not all companies will let the owner retain salvage. It is rare to run across this as most will like 9 out of 10 times. Also check into the salvage title laws for your state and theirs as you don't need them to brand the title . They shouldn't anyway if they never take ownership and are just paying you for damages.In my state,[AR] they aren't supposed to brand anything older than 10 model years but sometimes one slips through. I wish you good luck and I hope it all works out for you and they get right and do the right thing. Most will but it is normally a second offer kind of thing. Like I said keep the lawyer in the back pocket when they are threatened with a lawsuit starting out it seems to me to put them in a bad mood and on the offensive. Well would it do that to you if someone started out a phone call or first visit with good morning I'm gonna sue you. Now I'm not saying that one might be needed to get what is your it just seems to me from all the insurance dealings I have had in my shop and seeing customers doing things both ways it just works better to keep the lawyers on stand by instead of calling them out right out of the gate.
I know I my catch flack for that just a feeling and from things I've seen

It sounds as if you are advising me to maintain my cool and not be antagonistic. So far I have been firm but not threatening. I have a lawyer friend that I may talk to just to see how she could back me up if needed. My first contact will be with my own insurance agent (State Farm) who lives in my little town and simply ask her how things work and if I should know anything about how this works for my vehicle which is "titled" in NYS. To start with in NY anything older than 1974 does not even have a title. We just have a "transferable registration". This just means I can sell the truck to anyone by signing the back of my registration. I don't see any way they could brand a truck this old as salvage. But I am guessing my insurance agent will know. Thanks for your support!
Old 06-07-2017, 07:03 AM   #36
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
As far as the insurance company goes with their statement they can find '70 SWB K/10s all day long for that price (in same condition yours "was"), you are ready and waiting for them to provide the examples...all day long.
Thanks for this good piece of advice. This makes them do the work. Another fellow advised doing all my correspondence via email (in writing). I think I will start doing this too.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:06 AM   #37
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
It is important at this point to tell the insurance company that all future conversations will be in writing. This will prevent confusion and backtracking, or just plain lying by them. The process will be slower but it is less likely that they will cheat you. The adjuster is working for the insurance company and his/her compensation is based on how much money they save the company. They will ALWAYS come back low and try stonewall you until you give up. You don't have to threaten them with a lawyer but you need to get sound advice from a professional. It could be a lawyer, or does your state have a state insurance board or commission? They can be a great free or low cost alternative to learn and defend your rights. I know here in Oregon when you get stonewalled insurance companies usually change their tone when they hear they will have to go in front of the insurance board. Every state is different and you have the added aggravation of two states.
Good luck.
More good advice! It took me awhile to get this adjuster's email but I have it now and will do as you say and keep correspondence to email (in writing). I prefer to remain non-threatening/ non-bullying but I will continue to maintain being FIRM.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:10 AM   #38
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedemon View Post
wow that sux georgie
Nice to hear from you firedemon. I have been enjoying driving my 69 Longhorn now that it has the correct windshield SS trim (thanks to you). It all worked out very well. This 1970 truck will also probably work out OK in the long run.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:05 AM   #39
Moose Monkey

Sad story but as you can tell you have a lot of good friends with a lot of good guidance. Keep the faith and your COOL. And I know it is easier to say than do. Best of luck
Old 06-07-2017, 08:35 AM   #40
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Monkey View Post
Sad story but as you can tell you have a lot of good friends with a lot of good guidance. Keep the faith and your COOL. And I know it is easier to say than do. Best of luck
Thanks Moose. I feel a lot of support here. And I think you are right about keeping my cool. My wife is surprised how cool I am about it, but I truly don't have a lot of patience when I am getting the run-around. But if I can keep my volume level low I am doing pretty good. I have received a lot of good advice here. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #41
Coley

I hope this turns out well for you and get you either your truck back or the correct amount for it.
Lesson here tho' for everyone.....insure your truck for what it is worth or you are playing with fire when, not if, something happens.
Do not drive it without insurance or expect other people or carriers insurance to cover you off.......'if life were like that', which it isn't.

....nice looking truck by the way.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #42
kingNothing

I was a auto field adjuster years ago. As Hugger has said,there is no need for lawyers.Simply state you don't agree with his value on the truck. Ask how he valued your truck and why you think it is worth more.Have a printout of the N.A.D.A value. As well as any comparable trucks you can find. It is his job as an adjuster to pay fair market value.You don't want to be ripped off and he doesn't want to pay a Barret Jackson price. This is where your homework with N.A.D.A value and comparable comes in. Good luck..

Lucas Jackson
kingNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:07 PM   #43
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

That really is a disheartening thing to happen. I hope things work out how you want it.

I checked my copy of Old Cars Weekly - Price Guide and a 69-70 fleetside V-8 K10 SBx is valued at $4,300 in #4 condition and $9,680 in #3 condition.

Quote, "In general, most of the vehicles seen at car shows are in #3 condition."

#4: Quote, "This is a driver. It may be in the process of restoration or it's owner may have big plans, but even from 20 feet away, there is no doubt that it needs a lot of help."

Old Cars Weekly is Quote, "The first choice for appraisers, insurers, dealers, collectors and lenders."
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:26 PM   #44
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Hagerty has the average value around $11,800 and I would put it between a #3 and 4 condition-wise ($6,100 #4 and $11,800 #3).

When these trucks come up, they have not been cheap.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati...2_Ton?id=73721

I've found the Hagerty guide to be pretty accurate for pricing Mustangs, I think their valuation on my 65 is spot on. I mean, they actually insure these old toys, so I would believe their numbers to be near spot on.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #45
Boog
laying low

Have they sent you pics of the truck after the accident yet?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #46
raggedjim

Old Cars Weekly is good if your buying, but it runs low in my experience.

Good luck with this, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #47
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Have they sent you pics of the truck after the accident yet?
I haven't got any photos from the adjuster even though he said he would send them. Said they would not upload? I wonder.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:14 AM   #48
special-K
Special Order

Just remember, that truck is your property and you signed no agreement to do business with this company. Contracts/dealings always have two sides to satisfy. You should never allow the insurance company to call all the shots to best suit themselves. One half of the deal is a business looking at their profits and losses (not that there ever are losses, overall) then there is innocent you the victim of their policy holder's actions. It's a fight you were thrust into and it's your right to fight for the value of your property. You aren't asking them to buy your truck, you still want it.

If it gets nasty tell them you realize your truck still has a high salvage value being what it is and with the extent of damage and that they want to use that to help recoup their losses on the rest. The total picture isn't your problem and that truck is yours to decide it's fate

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 06-09-2017 at 07:14 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:29 AM   #49
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Juat remember, that truck is your property and you signed no agreement to do business with this company. Contracts/dealings always have two sides to satisfy. You should never allow the insurance company to call all the shots to best suit themselves. One half of the deal is a business looking at their profits and losses (not that there ever are, overall) then there is innocent you the victim of their policy holder's actions. It's a fight you were thrust into and it's your right to fight for the value of your property. You aren't asking them to buy your truck, you still want it.

If it gets nasty tell them you realize your truck still has a high value being what it is and with the extent of damage and that they want to use that to help recoup their losses on the rest. The total picture isn't your problem and that truck is yours to decide it's fate
Special-K, I have always enjoyed reading what you have to say about anything. Does the "K" refer to an interest in 4x4s? About my truck, I appreciate the support and the point of view you are presenting, but I am not sure I am understanding it all. Are you saying that the insurance company is clearly "losing" money (because they have to pay out) on the other 9 vehicles and that they are trying to recoup something on mine because of the controversial nature of its value?
In general I am getting tougher as time goes by and I continue to be ignored and get the silent treatment. I am sticking to my guns about the value of my truck, I repeatedly state I am not giving this truck up, I have the title and will NOT be giving that up, and as far as I know no one can put this truck in an auction without me surrendering the title. Of course the insurance folks probably want me to surrender the title before they will pay me anything at all, but right now I am being kept in the dark by them. So for now I am basically sticking to my belief that I am keeping this truck somehow. Even the wrecking company (where my truck is now located) told me that my truck cannot be moved anywhere as long as I hold the title and that I am in control in that regard. Thanks so much for your guidance, George.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:46 AM   #50
flashed

Have Diesel Wrencher go get you some pics ,Im sure he would be glad to help you out .