The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2019, 04:23 AM   #1
cnntnsxty@aol.com

64 C10 rear axle

I bought a 64 C10 4x4 and need a rear axle for it. What other years will fit and line up with the leaf springs?
Thanks
cnntnsxty@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
jocko

Re: 64 C10 rear axle

Some pertinent info here - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=369439
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
cnntnsxty@aol.com

Thanks Jocko, ain't sure whats in it now but it it says GM 3896839 and has had perches and shock mounts cut off and relocated but really poor job. Holes left in axle tube where they cut the parts off. I have been looking for awhile for what to replace it with, but no luck. The front axle is a Dana 44, tranny and transfer is TH350 and NP203. Looks to have had a manual originally but the crossmember was sawed off 3 inches from the rails to fit the auto in. Not much confidence in any of the previous work done.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
jocko

It's a shame the axle tube was hacked - a good driveline shop could probably fix that and then you could keep what you have, but I'd probably seek a replacement just like you are, it may be easier/less costly and there's no need to maintain originality (i.e. the TH350/203 combo is not original - that is a squarebody combo, the swapper skipped right over the preferred NP205 TC of the 67-72 (and early square) era). I'd shoot for a 63-69 C/K10 rear axle, and with any luck, of same gear ratio as your D44 (or, if you are planning a gear change all around, seek a rear with the ratio you really want and then you only have to change the front gears). This way your hub-to-hub distance is unchanged and things will at least look stock once installed. Depending on what the axle comes out of, you may or may not have to install or relocate spring perches - but I'd have to assume that a 63-66 K10 axle (a much narrower search pool) would be a direct swap into your 64K. Personally, I'd just accept perch work as par for the course in order to widen the search for your rear as much as possible. Keep in mind that 71+ C10 rears are 5 lug. So, if you're ok with the wider axle, you'd still want to seek a 71+ K10 axle to get 6 lug. Otherwise you're gonna get into some more $ to make things work.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #5
cnntnsxty@aol.com

Think I'm going to at least try for the 63-66 k10 axle, I'm a decent mechanic but my welding skills ain't the best and the local shops I've talked to don't want the work got more than they need with ag jobs I guess.
I'll have to figure out the want add part of this web site. Also going to have to address cracks in the frame just over the axle. That got patched up by the PO also but they didn't drill a hole at the end of the crack and boxed it in with scrap. A C notch kit would eliminate all that but I don't want to lower this truck.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:54 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnntnsxty@aol.com View Post
Think I'm going to at least try for the 63-66 k10 axle, I'm a decent mechanic but my welding skills ain't the best and the local shops I've talked to don't want the work got more than they need with ag jobs I guess.
I'll have to figure out the want add part of this web site. Also going to have to address cracks in the frame just over the axle. That got patched up by the PO also but they didn't drill a hole at the end of the crack and boxed it in with scrap. A C notch kit would eliminate all that but I don't want to lower this truck.

To post a Want To Buy ad you will have to be a Premium member. If you click on the word "Subscribe" in the menu bar above it will explain the different membership options. If you see something for sale on the parts boards you can buy it with your current membership, you just can't post a WTB.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:31 AM   #7
cnntnsxty@aol.com

Thank lockDoc
Old 05-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnntnsxty@aol.com View Post
Thank lockDoc

No problem, now go to the parts board and post your WTB "or" FOR SALE ads.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote