The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #1
cj847

Steering column rebuild

I recently bought a 66. I am finding that everything on it is completely worn out. The steering column (3 on tree) is the latest. The shift arms are OK but both the upper and lower bearings are shot. I think the bearings are available. My question is- is it worth it to do a complete rebuild (ie are there parts that are likely to be worn that are not available?). According to the exploded view it looks fairly simple.
Is there a video of a rebuild on line? I've seen one for a ford and other models, not from a 64-66.
I am guessing there are tons of these laying in folks scrap piles. Can they be had cheap?
Thanks for any comments.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:18 PM   #2
Afirehawk1

Re: Steering column rebuild

i had one rebuilt but ran into one snag.
there is an opening where the reverse backup switch attaches.
i didnt realize at the time but the tab for this switch is not there. this is what engage the backup switch. without this the reverse lights will not function.
so now i am looking for another 66 column as well. oh and this is for a 3 speed TH400 automatic
Afirehawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
roll_the_dice

I rebuilt mine recently. It isn't that hard...the problem in my mind is if you find one in a scrap yard, it has a good chance of needing rebuilding also. I referenced this thread a lot when I was doing mine...great information.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:28 AM   #4
Bushman66

Just finished the rebuild on mine, found the steering shaft was completely worn down from a failed lower bearing. I ended up using the bronze bushing from Classic instead of the bearing. If the bronze fails, it won't destroy the steering shaft. Take lots of pictures, it was actually pretty easy to rebuild.
Bushman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:11 PM   #5
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afirehawk1 View Post
i had one rebuilt but ran into one snag.
there is an opening where the reverse backup switch attaches.
i didnt realize at the time but the tab for this switch is not there. this is what engage the backup switch. without this the reverse lights will not function.
so now i am looking for another 66 column as well. oh and this is for a 3 speed TH400 automatic
I had a friend of mine run across this same Problem. He installed another kick down button for your hight and lows for your lights. He just put it up a little higher on the floor He knew what he had to do when he needed his Rear back up lights to turn on.

Why make it so tough on your self Adapted an overcome. Yes it's not factory But it works in a pinch
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:14 PM   #6
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

If you go to Craigslist In inland empire look up steering column repair there is a guy that does a fantastic job I knew his Late dad that did it for a few of the pick a parts look him up you will have to ship to him and have him ship it back to you but tell him all you need He will do it
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote