The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
Sal

Question for all the 60-62 guys. any ideas?

I recently picked up a '62 Dubl-Duti and I'd like to know what chassis I have. so far I know I have a 9,000lb rated front axle sitting on a 6 leaf setup with a swaybar. The rear is 8 leaf with a 10 bolt rear and most likely a 5:14 gearing. I've got a t-5 in my s-10 that can come out and replace the sm420 that's in it. I'd like to keep the 235 but would like to modernize the driveline and suspension as much as I can before I go further with planned modifications. I'd eventually like to tuck the wheels to the point where the body line is on the ground but I don't want to be using the HUGE wheels that were on it. I have smaller 15" 8 lug wheels I was gonna get some big ol' whitewalls for but want to keep the overall height of the tire to somewhat of a minimum due to the fact I want to use this truck for what it was intended for.. to haul all sorts of stuff, as much as possible. Except, I'd like to do it as reliably and low to the ground as possible. I'll have to play with the gearing calculator a bit to find out overall what I'm looking for but I'd like to be able to tow a smaller vehicle if at all possible too. What I'd really like to know is if I can get a late model cross member on it to enable me to have IFS even tho I hear the 60-62 frames are shorter in height. I'd like to find out what I have so I know what I'd like to adapt to it.

let me know what you guys think and thanks

Last edited by Sal; 11-12-2008 at 07:45 AM. Reason: forgot something
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Re: for all the 60-62 guys. any ideas?

That thing is sweet....You have any pics of the front suspension and frame ??

I'm sure some thing could be fabbed up.

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
Sal

Re: for all the 60-62 guys. any ideas?

I'll get some better pics once it's indoors. It should be going in the shed for the winter time but at least there will be a little room to work on it down there. I guess I was curious if anyone had any build info. The build books on ebay are $30.00 and there is no description on what exactly you're buying. My truck is kinda rare and I've about used up my new truck budget for the year already so I don't want to go buying things that I don't need. my 60-61-62 factory manual supplement has been a help but doesn't specify what I have.. just how to work on what has changed from the main manual. anyone have the thick 'ol 1960 manual that might be interested in dusting off?
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote