The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2015, 09:29 PM   #1
iostorm

Cab lifted and off to sandblast

Next to strip the frame then send it off.

Lifting it this way was great, I used 3 straps, two cross pattern and one across the front to neutral stabilize it, worked great.

[IMG][/IMG]

iostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:31 PM   #2
iostorm

Re: Cab lifted and off to sandblast

Old 11-24-2015, 10:12 PM   #3
Steven R

I am at the same point that you are but the two places I have been to have said not to sandblast the cab. are you blasting the whole cab or just places of it. the shops are telling me not to blast as they are worried about wring the roof and rear of the cab.

I was there when my dad had his cab sandblasted about 15 years ago,but was to young to remember if there was any damage due to warping.

interested in you insight and thoughts. I am picking up my frame thursday, I had it blasted and painted with epoxy
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:29 PM   #4
iostorm

They told me they would soda blast the roof, I didn't understand why but now it makes sense. There is no wiring in it, noting left in the cab, its 100% stripped.

I will now begin the process of stripping the frame so I can take it in a couple weeks. I keep telling myself this is a three year project but it is moving quickly.

They asked me if I wanted to powder coat my frame after its blasted but I think I will just bring it home and use POR or Rustoleum on it. My game plan is to 100% remove every nut and bolt and start from scratch with either a reconditioned sandblasted part or new, I have a basket full of brackets and the like I will take to my friends sandblast cabinet.

Are you using the stock control arms? I plan to just blast mine and paint them as well. I am also staying stock height.

I have decided on PPG DP90 black for the color, its a satin black primer, I really like the look.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:43 PM   #5
Steven R

WOW you and I are on the same page other than color, Every nut and bolt tear down blast, paint and rebuild.

Yes and all stock rebuild had them blast the front suspension at the same time as the frame, also had then blast the split locking ring rims and paint them cant wait to see them. Going to start a build thread soon but need to get something worth showing first.

I was going to powder coat but after reading a lot of thread and post I decided to go with paint so the chips in a few years can be easily fixed and matched.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:15 PM   #6
iostorm

I was torn on color for a while, I see the flat black look becoming more popular lately, I really like the tough look of it.

My big question is do I go with a total blackout, wheels, grill, bumpers??? Still undecided but I want something different, and it would be nice not to have to worry if I drop a wrench on it.

I was torn on the 307 also, for nostalgic reasons. I though about doing it but landed on a .030 400 SBC, going with the Brodix IK series heads with 210 cc runner. I have to keep throttling myself back and remind myself it's a cruiser not a race truck. I campaigned a mustang in the 90's that ran 9.0's so I tend to revert back to my old mentally sometimes.

Just want a nice 500hp street cruiser.

For rear chassis I have decided on the 2x3 box trailing arms, I don't like how flimsy the stock ones are.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:24 PM   #7
iostorm

It also had factory radio delete, and I think I will maintain that. In addition I am deleting the heater, this leaves me with about a 12 wire wiring harness, I really like the simplicity, again reverting back to my race car mentality.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:31 AM   #8
iostorm

These:

https://www.performanceonline.com/60...e-Performance/
Old 11-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by iostorm View Post
I was torn on color for a while, I see the flat black look becoming more popular lately, I really like the tough look of it.

My big question is do I go with a total blackout, wheels, grill, bumpers??? Still undecided but I want something different, and it would be nice not to have to worry if I drop a wrench on it.
Flat black is a trend that has been popular for quite a while and trends come and go all the time. That means by the time you get your truck done, chances are that fad will be gone or damn close to it.

The problem with doing that type of thing is that if you plan on keeping your truck, it will look totally dated in no time at all and even if you decide to sell it, then it becomes even worse, because people don't want to buy something that looks like yesterday's news.

Just my opinion, but if you're going to choose paint for a project there are 4 options.

1) Go with a timeless paint scheme, that way it will always be in style.

2) Go with a current trend, as long as you are getting in at the beginning. That way you are more of the trendsetter, instead of the follower when it's already run it's course. The problem with this though, is that it limits your re-sale market.

3) Go with something completely over the top, so you'll stand out in the crowd. This will also limit your re-sale market.

4) Go with something that will start a new trend. Problem with this though, is that no one knows what the next trend is going to be.