The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
muddpile

Custom hidden radio?

Has anyone ever done anything really Kool with their radios in old trucks? The reason I ask is my 64 is very vintage looking, and will remain that way with an old-timey hotrod vibe. I want a modern radio, but don't want to have the look of it with the plasticky deck in the dash. I've seen some guys do the glovebox thing, others do the delete-plate flip thing, and there is probably more as well. Pictures of any sort would be great, thanks!
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: Custom hidden radio?

If you can drop the coin, the Pioneer DEH-880PRS looks dam good with brushed aluminum trim.

If you don't like that option, Custom Auto Sound makes the only true bolt in replacement radios with modern internals. Vintage look and everything.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
muddpile

I actually already have a Kenwood that has a fairly nice look to it as well, but it still doesn't look "Original", you know? I can't stand the overpriced custom autosound models, so I was thinking of other options. I could have the delete plate fold down, or have it swing out from under the dash, or just do the basic glovebox install (that's a last resort).
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:28 AM   #4
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Don't hate on the glove box. It's the best place for the piece.

I'm not exactly sure how The delete plate would work. I just dont see it working as well as you want it to.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote